Queen of the South's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be QotS' next permanent manager?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On Tommy Goss he's noticeably scored more goals this season than any QOTS player this season obviously had a bad spell before but I don't think that would be a bad signing for any league 1 club next season.

2 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Surprised to see some of the negatively around this appointment considering he's gotten Annan to League 1 for the first time in their history 

What were some Queens fans expecting would you rather have one of the footballing dinosaurs or another untested manager? This is a good appointment imo I would happily of took Murphy at Accies

I am expecting a title challenge next season. Regardless of it being a ‘dinosaur’ or whether it everyone’s current wet dream of a young manager taking charge

Being young and hungry doesn’t necessarily mean you are going to succeed. As Gibson and Bartley have demonstrated. 

That said, I am encouraged by everyone’s optimism here. Perhaps we are going to challenge for the title after all. 

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

None online, sadly :(

I did give you plenty warning my friend. At least you’ve got CmcM too Annan were headed fo LL football before he arrived.

6 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

You know my view. McCall had the experience of promoting teams and was available. 

McCall might have been the best bet to fill Bartley's shoes.

However, I think I'd prefer Murphy as our manager.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

McCall might have been the best bet to fill Bartley's shoes.

However, I think I'd prefer Murphy as our manager.

Absolutely this, Jobby has previous for filling peoples' shoes.

9 hours ago, qos_75 said:

In terms of budget, do we really have a limited budget for the division? I am not so sure.

We are not talking about competing in the championship here - it is league 1.

Now Falkirk are out of the league we will more than likely be in the top 3 budget wise. As such, the new manager should have more than enough funds at his disposal to assemble a squad capable of putting in a title challenge.

The  bare minimum would be scraping a play off place. Anything else would be failure for our budget. 

Out of interest what is McCall’s promotion/relegation record? Has he ever been relegated from league 1?

Well, our budget next season will be lower than this, unless the need board put money into the club. 

Surely, at this level having someone used to working with budget constraints is a good thing, irrespective of the budget he has now? It's certainly better than someone with a history of only achieving success when they have a sizeable budget. 

I don't remember off the top of my head how many relegations and promotions McCall had. It was something like 4 and 5. Certainly close enough to dismiss any idea that he has a "track record" of getting teams promoted. Especially when, I think, two of those promotions were a result of him getting the club relegated the season before. 

I'm not sure how the division we're in is particularly relevant. 

9 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

... What were some Queens fans expecting would you rather have one of the footballing dinosaurs or another untested manager? This is a good appointment imo I would happily of took Murphy at Accies

... So, a significant upgrade on Rankin then?

Posted (edited)

New goalkeeper coach follows Murphy from Annan so guess Colin Mcmenimin will also come as assistant manager.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Murphy is a good appointment for QotS. He did a good job with Annan over his time there and deserves a crack at a FT role.

Loved him as a player for Ayr. An absolute baller and a classy defender.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And I'm sure the first thing McCall would have said would be "I need a bucketload of cash". No thanks. Of course there's no evidence he can assemble a squad to get out of this league, he's not been given the chance to do it! 

Not sure why you're mentioning Goss and Smith unless you've heard something? I'll be gobsmacked if both return. 

Do keep up. It was rumoured on p and b yesterday. As I say delighted to be proved wrong and at least in his interview Murphy talks about physicality and passion. Need to be able to have the contacts and ability to find some quality signings

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Do keep up. It was rumoured on p and b yesterday. As I say delighted to be proved wrong and at least in his interview Murphy talks about physicality and passion. Need to be able to have the contacts and ability to find some quality signings

It absolutely wasn't rumoured yesterday. A Kelty fan made a joke and you've taken it as a rumour :lol:

I do find it incredible you're so dismissive of Murphy when you were one of, if not the, last one to be supportive of Bartley. 

Edited by 19QOS19

Never understand why your fans are so desperate for McCall. His "miracle" job at Clyde this season has them paying more money for loan players than you are.

Posted (edited)

From the outside looking in he has a good level of experience in the game and has done a great job with Annan. 

Being at QoS will be a different dynamic and he will be managing with the benefit of full-time coaches and players.

From what I've seen on here, he is the new chairman/ investor's man so will be backed in the summer.

Seems to have contacts both side of the border so could be some interesting signings.

He will have had his team at Annan setup to suit the players he had at his disposal.

This does not mean he will have the exact same outlook at Palmerston as he will have a larger squad and more resources as well as other benefits mentioned previously.

There will be fundamentals which will be the bedrock of his Queen's side such as being disciplined, organised and hard to beat.

Good luck to Peter. It will be interesting if QoS can go on an upward part of the cycle. I hope they do as its been a bit gloomy at Palmerston in recent seasons.

TL;DR A good appointment for me. I hope he does well.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never understand why your fans are so desperate for McCall. His "miracle" job at Clyde this season has them paying more money for loan players than you are.

Not all of us were "desperate" for McCall though ... but he was difficult to avoid from the list being a Dumfries boy and having managed here previously. Despite all his many shortcomings he'll always be fondly remembered at Palmerston for being the guy who resurrected Stephen Debbie's career.

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

From the outside looking in he has a good level of experience in the game and has done a great job with Annan. 

Being at QoS will be a different dynamic and he will be managing with the benefit of full-time coaches and players.

From what I've seen on here, he is the new chairman/ investor's man so will be backed in the summer.

Seems to have contacts both side of the border so could be some interesting signings.

He will have had his team at Annan setup to suit the players he had at his disposal.

This does not mean he will have the exact same outlook at Palmerston as he will have a larger squad and more resources as well as other benefits mentioned previously.

There will be fundamentals which will be the bedrock of his Queen's side such as being disciplined, organised and hard to beat.

Good luck to Peter. It will be interesting if QoS can go on an upward part of the cycle. I hope they do as its been a bit gloomy at Palmerston in recent seasons.

TL;DR A good appointment for me. I hope he does well.

And not many folks have commented on us getting rid of the worst assistant ever in Grant Murray. A failure in every coaching role he ever had. I hope McMenamin joins us. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

A manager successfully using a budget to achieve an objective? It’s a bold strategy Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.

I don’t think anyone was desperate for McCall, but I also don’t really see why his reputation for requiring a sizeable budget is used as a stick to beat him with either. There are clubs out there who have sizeable budgets who require managers with track records of achieving success with sizeable budgets. It probably meant he was a non-starter for Queens, but I doubt Clyde regret their decision in hiring him, and I doubt they care that avoided the drop in a non-miraculous way.

36 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

And not many folks have commented on us getting rid of the worst assistant ever in Grant Murray. A failure in every coaching role he ever had. I hope McMenamin joins us. 

You make it sound like he was sacked, was it not just a happy coincidence that his contract had ended and wasn't renewed?