General Election 2024

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Nobody.  There isn't a party that is sufficiently attractive enough.  I was one of those that held my nose and voted SNP for independence reasons only.  Now that they have fucked that and piss about spending political capital on issues that won't be out of place in community councils whilst forming coalitions with other parties without any mandate (nor any real need) then they can sing for it.

I understand what you are saying. Clearly the recent past has been... ahem... "difficult" for the SNP.  I'm hopeful for a high turnout, as that adds legitimacy to the results and gives a reasonably clear impression of what the electorate thinks (even allowing for FPTP) and there are obvious dangers in not voting.

As someone who supports Scottish independence, I could never allow myself to contribute to the notion that a drop in support at the ballot box was a reflection of a drop in support for that independence.

I wish that the SNP, the Greens and Alba could agree to work together on a pro-independence ticket, but can't see that happening by 4 July, if at all.  The key point is that any drop in voting numbers for the SNP will be leapt upon by unionists like Dross, Sarwar, Starmer, Braverman, Farage, Galloway and the rest.  I'm not going to do anything to put a smile on their faces.

This might be a time for the good old "hold your nose and vote" tactic.

41 minutes ago, strichener said:

So a case of robbing Paul to pay Peter. 😂

Ha ha. Very good.

However, HQ taking a levy from the individual branches happens practically every election. There's no dissent that I'm aware of.

The fact that the MSM use words like 'rob' or 'raid' to describe this perfectly normal process, shows just how desperate they are to invent 'SNP baaaaaad' stories

Labour's pledge to remove the offshore investment allowance and increase/extend the energy profits' levy basically means that the wellbeing and prosperity of NE Scotland is about the same priority to them as Grimethorpe was to the early 80s Thatcher regime.

The company I work have earmarked 49 projects for the next five years - 46 of them become uneconomic, with US-based investors likely to pull the plug and invest elsewhere in the world.  This will be mirrored elsewhere, with a grim ripple effect on jobs throughout the supply chain and local services.

I am glad this election is happening sooner rather than later, as hopefully vote-winning soundbites that work in Wakefield/Worcester are replaced with adults in the room when they get the keys to the treasury, and economy/ energy security become reality for them.

Transition rather than cliffedge required Mr Starmer. 

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Labour's pledge to remove the offshore investment allowance and increase/extend the energy profits' levy basically means that the wellbeing and prosperity of NE Scotland is about the same priority to them as Grimethorpe was to the early 80s Thatcher regime.

The company I work have earmarked 49 projects for the next five years - 46 of them become uneconomic, with US-based investors likely to pull the plug and invest elsewhere in the world.  This will be mirrored elsewhere, with a grim ripple effect on jobs throughout the supply chain and local services.

I am glad this election is happening sooner rather than later, as hopefully vote-winning soundbites that work in Wakefield/Worcester are replaced with adults in the room when they get the keys to the treasury, and economy/ energy security become reality for them.

Transition rather than cliffedge required Mr Starmer. 

Should have been nationalised decades ago.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

There's something comforting in the fact that, even when faced with the national celebration of a Tory bloodletting at the ballot box, some people's first thought will always be SNP BAD!

Unfortunately there is a large body of evidence to support SNP BAD.  This isn't 2014 any longer.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

Unfortunately there is a large body of evidence to support SNP BAD.  This isn't 2014 any longer.

I’m pretty sure you were ‘SNP BAD’ before the large body existed.

13 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

From what I’ve read, Aberdeen and the Shire are the only bits still in by then. 

Aiberdeen and twal' mile roon - fa's like us!

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Farage not running. Major sigh of relief in number 10.

The grifter's grifter. 

He's not standing because he would lose. So he can continue to do all his media stuff, get on Question Time, be seen as credible without the inconvenience of getting beaten by Count Binface in a real election. 

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Sunak in Wales just asked his audience if they were looking forward to all the football 🤣

A true "One-Nation" Tory.

Didn't he also believe Darlington was in Scotland?

Maybe this has been mentioned already but it has just occurred to me.  (People of a nervous disposition should not read the following.)

Spoiler

Ian Murray might well be the next Secretary of State for Scotland.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

There's a bit of chat about whether the nation's success or failure in the Euros will affect the vote. This is pretty depressing that people could be swayed by short term feelgood factors but how much of an influence would it be?

Scotland do well = SNP do well????

England do well = Tories do well??? Why not Reform?

Tbf it's thought holders England going out of Mexico 70 to West Germany a few days before the 1970 general election hurt the Labour government, and helped the Conservatives swing, ending in narrow majority for Ted Heath.

Hamilton by-election in 1978 (when George Robertson battered Margo Macdonald) was held on a Wednesday - last time this happened - as it was thought too many good burghers of Lanarkshire would be watching Argentina 78 opening game 24hrs later: afterall Ally's Army was going to win.

Unless my memory deceives wasn't Motherwell 6-6 Hibs played on an election night? EDIT: indeed... Cameron's win in 2010.

Edited by HibeeJibee