Middle class Scottish things

20 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Could be a council house

Well assuming you buy the lining for it then it belongs to you. If you just dig a hole in the ground and fill it with water then maybe it belongs to the inhabitants of the pond. I just don’t know.

22 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Using working class/older Scottish slang that even working class people don’t use much any more. “Swally/bevvy/tatties”. Always seems to be the Glasgow uni accent types that do it 

Not an exclusively Scottish phenomenon it seems 

On 30/06/2024 at 12:42, Cosmic Joe said:

Is having a herb garden middle class?

Asking for a friend.

This sort of thing falls into that weird kind of inverse snobbery for me. I have the class argument frequently with a mate who seems convinced that any show of intelligence/vague eloquence/use of big words means someone can't be working class. He clearly has a thing that to be working class you have to be proud that you're a bit thick and not using poncey language etc. The same sort of thing i'd say applies to your example. Loads of folk in this country would be like "who does he think he is with his herb garden".

TL;DR I think perception of class in this country (as fucked up a concept as it is) is mostly coloured by bitterness and jealousy