Middle class Scottish things

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I grew up close to the Forth and Clyde canal. Folk would regularly send cats, and puppies, on voyages to the bottom of it. Not sure many of them were middle class.

An old boy I used to work with said his neighbours used to give him money to throw bags of cats into the River Ayr.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Erm no, that's not actually a credible definition of class at all. 

A GP or surgeon is not in the same class category as a road sweeper. Despite the Scottish middle class obsession with pretending away their relative privilege. 

I was going to say, arguing you aren’t middle class because you have a job is a very middle class thing to do.

1 hour ago, badgertheeuro24witness said:

Owning a jet ski or speedboat, perfect for shitting on the tranquility of others at one of our many scenic waterways. C**ts.

You're mixing up middle class and drug dealers.

54 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Going on ski holidays 

That's more like it.

Upper class = owners of capital in society (traditional: land); other asset classes. 'Capital'. 

Middle class = managers of capital in society; also provision of independent services such as education, healthcare, law. 'Management'.

Traditional: professions - upper middle;

Bureaucrats, clerks, factory managers etc - lower middle;

Now: management level positions, gradated between the higher and lower bounds of seniority. 

Working class: The direct producers of products, goods and services on behalf of capital. 'Labour'.

Traditional: factory workers; day labourers etc.

Now - service sector employees; care home workers; nurses etc. 

There are clear patterns of behaviour, social attitudes and preferences that still attach to these broad categories, and everyone ultimately fits closer to one category than the other. Nobody is saying that you do all of the things. 

Only in Scotland (IMO) do so many people stridently refuse the idea that they may have benefited from social mobility to live a patently different lifestyle than either their parents or their peers from earlier in life. It shouldn't be flaunted or treated like some individual act of heroism either, but the refusal to accept and reflect on objective differences makes Scottish society and particularly its politics unusual. 

Edited by vikingTON

Working class - Having to wipe other peoples arses for a living.

Middle class - Only needing to wipe your own arse. Using a bidet is upper middle class.

Upper Class - Having someone wipe your arse, your kids/ pets arses, even though you have the 'functionality' of being able to do it yourself.

I think the whole premise of this thread highlights why the UK, Scotland is fucked. Too much focus on where people came from rather than what they are as people. 

Clearly a lot of smart, successful people on this forum and thread who make a good living and have great lives. But good forbid that you admit that you have improved yourself 

the class system, royalty is a complete mindfuck to me.  Who gives a fucking shit if people go on skiing holidays or eat cheese.  Are they guid c***s you would have a pint with or not. - that is what is important. 

12 minutes ago, HK Hibee said:

I think the whole premise of this thread highlights why the UK, Scotland is fucked. Too much focus on where people came from rather than what they are as people. 

Clearly a lot of smart, successful people on this forum and thread who make a good living and have great lives. But good forbid that you admit that you have improved yourself 

the class system, royalty is a complete mindfuck to me.  Who gives a fucking shit if people go on skiing holidays or eat cheese.  Are they guid c***s you would have a pint with or not. - that is what is important. 

Class is treated like ethnicity in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, SomersetBairn said:

Working class - Having to wipe other peoples arses for a living.

Middle class - Only needing to wipe your own arse. Using a bidet is upper middle class.

Upper Class - Having someone wipe your arse, your kids/ pets arses, even though you have the 'functionality' of being able to do it yourself.

Do you have some sort of weird fetish that you want to discuss?*

* For clarity this is not an invite.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Do you have some sort of weird fetish that you want to discuss?*

* For clarity this is not an invite.

SomersetTabbyDave, imo.

Anyway. Getting all het up about the definition of middle class is very, very middle class.

Using the word "cockwomble" is an indubitably yuppie bougie thing.

30 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

No mention of Vegans yet?

My mates been vegan since the late 80s before it was a thing ( was an utter nightmare trying to find him stuff he could eat on hols back then)...been a postie all his life