Quarter Finals thread

throbber

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It is also an indictment on the way this forum has gone that it is considered reasonable to have a single "quarter finals" thread rather than an individual one for each match.

It’s a few days before kick off and I wanted to talk about predictions for all 4 combined.

9 hours ago, Galajambo said:

Spain will turn over the Germans, it's a real shame they meet at this early stage when they both ended up as group winners, someone fucked up there! 

With 6 groups you're guaranteed 4 group winners will be on a quarter final collision course.

Are Spain going to be one of the nations who've peaked too early? They've looked pretty impressive at times, but they've only played two diddies and two sides who've been well out of form. The Germans maybe also being made to look better than they are against a couple of diddies - they were less convincing against two solid Pot 2 sides. Could go either way, but I'll go for Spain, as they're back to scoring goals as well as keeping it tight at the back.

France mediocre; Portugal seem to be having some kind of mental crisis around Ronaldo. It'll probably rest on whether or not the game goes his way, as he isn't coping with frustration well. Babying a middle-aged man is bound to be a bit distracting. Tempted to think it still might be Portugal though, as they've played better than France overall.

England still showing no signs of being winners, other than the usual luck. The Swiss have been very solid other than against us - they look capable of giving anyone a game, considering only Spain and Germany look like they could win the tournament. No doubt England will fluke this one too, but Switzerland look much the better team so far, so they're getting the nod from me.

Really good result for Turkey, but the Dutch are full of goals and the Turks might struggle to keep up with them. They don't look like a semi-final side.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Are Spain going to be one of the nations who've peaked too early? They've looked pretty impressive at times, but they've only played two diddies and two sides who've been well out of form. The Germans maybe also being made to look better than they are against a couple of diddies - they were less convincing against two solid Pot 2 sides. Could go either way, but I'll go for Spain, as they're back to scoring goals as well as keeping it tight at the back.

Italy in 2021 are the only winners I can remember from recent tournaments who looked like the best side right back in the group stages, and even then they began to toil a bit through the knockouts. I'm still scarred by Germany getting knocked out in 2010 by the team that won every game 1-0. 

Quarter finals best round of any tournament IMO. The fluff have been dusted, the trophy is in sight, and we have four back to back games of sheer tension. The best two teams of the tournament have been Spain and Germany, one of them is going out as they repeat the 2008 final. On the other hand, Portugal and France have been rubbish, one of them is going to the semis as they repeat the 2016 final. Hard to call either of those, I'll go with Portugal and Germany to go through, both on pens.

The other half of the draw looks more clear cut. The Dutch have been good and it's hard to see Turkey stopping them. The last time the Swiss were in the quarter final of anything was 1954, when they hosted the World Cup.  I can't see them having enough experience at this stage to trouble England, who are in their fourth major tournament quarter final in a row under Southgate.

Friday's quarters are close calls.

Spain to win for me, and then France to nick the other one.

Everyone looking forward to an exciting goalfest in the first match and anticipating a dull, cagey second match on Friday.

I wouldn't be surprised (well...I would be) to see a cagey Spain v Germany (0-0 or 1-0) then a mad France v Portugal (2-2 or 3-2).

Saturday will see England and Netherlands through. As good as the Swiss have been I just can't see them winning, unless it's on pens after a 0-0.  

Edited by ScottMc77
Typo

Ideally I would love to see the Spanish and Dutch progress all the way to the final and if they play as both did in their last match it could be a cracking game.

Worst case scenario is France and England to go all the way and the final to be an absolute borefest, not to mention having to put up with all that ‘It’s coming home’ & ‘Believe’ stuff in the build up. 

Having said that the QF winners will probably be Germany, Portugal, Switzerland and Turkey! 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Fingers crossed The Netherlands beat Turkey, I live in a predominantly Turkish neighbourhood and if Turkey win they'll be out all night peeping their car horns and setting off fireworks.

No Turkey 🇹🇷 ; No party 🎉 🎇 🧨 

Especially at Christmas.