What is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best film?

What is Arnold Schwarzenegger's best film?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm watching Predator and thought of asking this. I've not included the obvious joke options, so if you wanted to vote for the one where he gets pregnant or a Terminator from this century then go and have a think about what that says about you.

He had a cameo in Dave, which is both an excellent name and film, so that's my vote. Don't get me wrong, he's been in some absolute classics - if we're only including starring roles, it could be The TerminatorPredatorTotal Recall, or True Lies depending on how I'm feeling. Also a few very good flicks like Last Action Hero, and a lot that are pretty entertaining despite not actually being all that great.

Has he made a genuinely good film since True Lies? That's thirty years ago now, although in fairness he was busy helping Enron to oust the Californian governor for a while. Remarkable that he's made it to 77 without his heart or balls exploding.

Terminator or Terminator 2, depends what mood I'm in. Then Total Recall, then Running Man. That's the top flight of his films, as listed above.

Predator, Commando and True Lies are all decent enough but wouldn't be anywhere near my favourite films.

I liked Kindergarten Cop when I was little but not sure it would stand up now.

Don't believe I have ever seen Red Heat or Jingle All The Way and have only the vaguest memory of Conan.

Commando, Predator and The Running Man are obviously the top 3, but the exact order could go any way. Terminator is obviously an excellent film that stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I’m not sure it’s an “Arnie” film as such. 

Total recall for me.

Packed with zingers, great fun plot and a tonne of memorable moments. 

Then T2, True Lies, The Terminator, Predator, probably in that order, today. 

Commando, Running Man, Eraser, Kindergarten Cop all in contention for the playoff spots. 

Sixth Day, End of Days, Twins all mid table championship. Last Stand probably just about safe from relegation. 

I really want to be different and go for the black and white arthouse zombie hipster option, but i fell asleep watching Maggie and was just a bit mystified by it all and not in a good way. 

Never seen any of the Conans. 

Definitely "The Terminator".

Loved him in "Total Recall" (Starring a young Sharon Stone)

Special mention for "True Lies". However, the sexual assault of a young Eliza Dushu by a stunt coordinator kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Has he made a genuinely good film since True Lies

I did enjoy the 6th day and End of Days. Maggie was a different kind of role for him but was a very good film that went under the radar. It's not a film but FUBAR was absolutely top notch, very much in the same vein as True Lies

As for my favourite....it's tough to narrow it down, I'm a big Arnie fan. Even earlier efforts like Raw Deal, Red Heat are high on my list but True Lies might just take it....with T2 and Predator close behind

Predator of the options listed.

Last Action Hero i still really like. Loosely aware that its considered a "troubled" film (problems with the script, which tbf shows in the 2nd half of it + weird stuff like the cartoon cat cop, which is akin to the computer game scenes in The Beach, pretty jarring) but has some of the best Arnie scenes ever. Plus a hammy Charles Dance.

Still surprised that Last Action Hero got such a Jack Slatering when it first came out, and even today. It basically gave the action genre the Scream treatment long before that came out, and was a lot of fun. Plus, if you're a metal fan, it exclusively featured one of Megadeth's best songs, and an Anthrax tune that was possibly better than anything on the (very good) album that they had out at the time (yes, I bought the soundtrack), not to mention a bunch of other eclectic quality stuff from some big names.

Critics were absolutely gleeful that this was The End Of Schwarzenegger at the time. Bunch of weirdos.

Edit: also, Ian McKellen as a very fair-minded Death from The Seventh Seal. Some film.

Edited by BFTD

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Still surprised that Last Action Hero got such a Jack Slatering when it first came out, and even today. It basically gave the action genre the Scream treatment long before that came out, and was a lot of fun. Plus, if you're a metal fan, it exclusively featured one of Megadeth's best songs, and an Anthrax tune that was possibly better than anything on the (very good) album that they had out at the time (yes, I bought the soundtrack), not to mention a bunch of other eclectic quality stuff from some big names.

Critics were absolutely gleeful that this was The End Of Schwarzenegger at the time. Bunch of weirdos.

Edit: also, Ian McKellen as a very fair-minded Death from The Seventh Seal. Some film.

Aye Last Action Hero is a proper 90s movie...mental, makes little sense at times but overall really enjoyable to watch time and time again

What's his best film? Terminator always for me.

What do I most enjoy watching? Likely Commando and Total Recall. Unsurprisingly, Raw Deal is not listed.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

The only thing LAH has against it is the jarring change of tone when Slater is in New York. But it has some absolute zingers during the runtime and Charles Dance just having a blast.

11 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Commando, Predator and The Running Man are obviously the top 3, but the exact order could go any way. Terminator is obviously an excellent film that stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I’m not sure it’s an “Arnie” film as such. 

The Terminator is the Arnold film, surely.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

T2 is one of my favourite films of all time and one of the best sequels ever made.

It still holds up remarkably well for a movie that is approaching 35 years old.

Same for me, as watchable now as it was when it came out, was my choice above

Difficult choice though as a shit ton of good ones above, and i enjoyed him in eraser as well

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Terminator is the Arnold film, surely.

It’s maybe the most critically acclaimed film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger but it’s not what I think of as a classic “Arnie” movie. It’s a bit straight faced and bleak and his performance in it is (appropriately for the role) very understated. My favourites are a bit less cerebral, a bit more tongue in cheek, with the one liners etc. 

Anyway, I’ve got to split…

But if you stick around…

I’ll be back*

*Yes, I know that line comes from the Terminator originally