Is Jim Spence okay?

Bitter old man sums him up well. Even his blandest tweets show this.

Yes Jim, you were up at 5am as a kid working before school, and yer ma was probably working in the mills at the age of 13. Doesn't mean it was a good thing ya plonker!

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Yes Jim, you were up at 5am as a kid working before school, and yer ma was probably working in the mills at the age of 13. Doesn't mean it was a good thing ya plonker!

And I'm sure some children still do that/paper rounds etc. now and many also didn't when Jim was young. 

Just now, Dan Electro said:

Might be one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread, however, always found him to be a vaucaous roaster.

That I'm posting about him now says more about the Montenegrin wine than it does about myself.

Interesting - maybe it's harder to spot these things when someone says things which you broadly agree with.

Out of interetsm why was he let go by BBC Scotland, can't seem to remember when he left but at the end of a season he was there and then suddenly he wasn't.

Always thought he was one of the better ones on the radio, shame he's going down that road.

13 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

10 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

And I'm sure some children still do that/paper rounds etc. now and many also didn't when Jim was young. 

ackshually

Was he ‘let go’ or did he - as many journos do these days - go freelance so he could work when he wanted and pay less tax?

I’m not the most avid radio listener these days but I’m sure he’s been on fairly often when I’ve been listening.

7 hours ago, CountyinBorders said:

Out of interetsm why was he let go by BBC Scotland, can't seem to remember when he left but at the end of a season he was there and then suddenly he wasn't..

I've not read anything about him since, but Jim Spence was left to fend for himself by the BBC and fellow journalists back in 2012 for having the sheer audacity to question how an incorporated football club such as Rangers, ie a club that was a business/company, just like Third Lanark, Airdrieonians and Gretna before them, could survive liquidation. He was only repeating what every newspaper in the land had earlier shouted from the rooftops in unison when Rangers failed to exit administration (R.I.P. RFC), before the entire media inexplicably performed a massive u-turn and promoted the fallacy that club and company had been separate entities.

Edited by Squonk

He really was quite popular on here a long time ago, although there were still plenty warning that he was a nogoodnik at the time.

Surely only a matter of time before his journey to the dark side is complete and he's welcomed into the The Rangers family.

6 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He’s firmly in the Wummin huv fannies camp.

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He's gone down the alt-right rabbit hole.

He probably thinks wimmin have alt right fanny holes tbh

Yip, I liked him back in the day. 

He championed smaller clubs and made broad sense on the Rangers sitution .

He's clearly lost the plot though.  I don't know - there seems to be something seductive about the right wing nonsense for a certain breed of man.  

It's rather a shame, but there's no real defence for him.

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

His brain has been melted by the internet.

I think the trigger point might have been someone saying to him after a couple of seasons presenting Sportscene Results that the messages he was reading out from "R. Sole" may not be 100% serious.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Pffffttt… Jim Spence actually used the phrase ‘wooly headed’ in a Tweet and it wasn’t about his own barnet?

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt as you weren’t there but even your own fans on here said they were surprised by the reaction he got.

He got booed when he came on yesterday if that is any indication.

On Spence, as others have said, seemed like his old self on the talking football podcast, but on social media, I'm afraid he has become bitter and angry old man. Seems to have since covid very much embraced and enhanced his Catholic upbringing and seems to have gone very right wing and very anti SNP. Maybe it is an age thing or a general feeling of being left behind by society, but he does feel one or two tweets/events away from going full GB news and spiraling even further. I do think the BBC thing impacted him mentally more than we thought and he is very very bitter over it. 

I know a few people personally who have gone down this rabbit hole.  Normally intelligent, reasonable people who now believe that the entire world is against middle aged white men.

They usually justify it with some petty bollocks about Doctor Who or some other unimportant shite.

I even know somebody who left the SNP and joined Reform... because Imane Khelif won gold at the Olympics.

I've come to the conclusion that the world is full of wilfully ignorant f**k wits and I want off. I want to be amongst the first to colonise outer space... but sadly that would involve sucking up to Elon Musk. So I'm stuck here, with only PnB and alcohol to keep me company.

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

So I'm stuck here, with only PnB and alcohol to keep me company.

Hee-haw wrong with imo.