Most shocking moments in books

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have a book of his short stories and one was about a set of windup walking mechanical teeth that come to life and save someone from a car jacking by biting the perpetrator to death. It was quite funny.

Loved King's short story collections when I was a young shaver.

Clive Barker had a surreal short somewhere in his Books of Blood about body parts randomly gaining sentience and becoming murderous. I'm sure there were some brilliant and hilarious images of people being chased down the street by their own arms and suchlike. I need to read those again - that's where the film Candyman came from, among others.

Chuck Palahniuk has a short story called Guts. If you've read it, you'll know. There's a moment where the narrator is confused about something that's happening in a swimming pool; I realised a few seconds before they did, and it was like a bucket of ice water to the face. If anyone's curious, and has a strong stomach, I recommend just reading it rather than looking up the synopsis as it's not very long and you won't get the full effect  :o

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

81IR4Vu3a6L._AC_UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.76af5e095ea1002176794ce417052009.jpg

I remember when that was in the pictures we passed a butchers in Stirling* that had a sign outside it saying 

You've read the book, you've heard the song, you've seen the film, now try the cast.

*My memory might be making that up but as far as I'm concerned it happened.

6 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I always thought the rat scene in American Psycho was pretty brutal.

Didnt watch the film, as I knew they couldnt do it justice.

I found the zoo scene pretty shocking. I did watch the film but always knew it would be very weak in comparison.

1 hour ago, BillyAnchor said:

I found the zoo scene pretty shocking. I did watch the film but always knew it would be very weak in comparison.

Aye, I'd forgotten about that bit when I was listening to the audiobook a while back. Ellis is quite good at applying pressure to sensitive areas.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

A pal of mine at Uni read The Wasp Factory and the bit he found shocking was the bit with the maggots. 

There were quite a few shocking bits in The Wasp Factory, tbh.

I'd imagine that the "reveal" nowadays would hardly raise an eyebrow, but in the mid-80's it was a proper jaw-dropping moment.