Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

16 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Mercator's problem is that it makescountries nearer the poles appear massively larger than they actually are and those nearer the equator massively smaller.

This.  

For example, Uganda is 43% the size of Canada.  Look it up.

Edited by Hedgecutter
Put 48% when it should be 43%

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Who the f**k uses a bus these days?

Honestly P&B, they're called Scumwagons for a reason.

Pensioners, scum* and and those that aspire to piss on Richard Beeching's grave.

*Me. Every day, 364 days a year (Christmas just isn't practical). The app is an absolute godsend.

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Was reading a thing recently about a movement to move from the current near-standard Mercator projection on maps - all attempts to render a (near) globe on a 2D surface are going to be flawed; Mercator's problem is that it makescountries nearer the poles appear massively larger than they actually are and those nearer the equator massively smaller.. for example Greenland looks the same size as Africa, whereas in reality it's about 14 times smaller. Here's the real size of Canada - which looks huge in Mercator - transposed onto the real size of Africa: 

Africa-vs-Canada-Actual-Size-2.jpg

They did a scene about this on The West Wing:

They carried out a study years ago asking high school age (?) pupils in American to identify where the USA was on a globe. More than half picked Africa. Asked why the picked that one over 90% said because it's the biggest so it has to be America.

27 minutes ago, BigBo10 said:

They carried out a study years ago asking high school age (?) pupils in American to identify where the USA was on a globe. More than half picked Africa. Asked why the picked that one over 90% said because it's the biggest so it has to be America.

Pupils in American are dumb.

20 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

I'm in London again but in the Camden area. Which is a fucking hole. Just went back to my hotel. Good for gig venues but there's no good gigs. I hate my wee cousin for talking me into coming here.

Shoulda gave me a shout. I done f**k all today. There's a few decent gigs on in Camden most nights if ye know where to go. If all else fails there's a coupla decent pubs (and a coupla better ones in  Islington)

12 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

People that phone you but don't leave a message. 

See putting folk through to on call doctors and shite at work when this happens.

"You put me through to the registrar on call and it went straight to voicemail"
"Did you leave a message?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I need to speak to them."
"Well they are clearly on the phone at the moment. Leave a message and, when they finish, they will call you back"
"OK"

*ten minutes later*

"Hello it's the registrar. I got a coupla missed calls but no-one's left a message"

Nurses are fucking idiots.