Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No more than we get annoyed by English tv presenters referring to Lock Lomond. The "ll" should be aspirated to the sides of the tongue, bit like a very soft Scottish "ch". "thl" is much better than just "L" though.

The difference is non Welsh speakers basically have no frame of reference for LL and aren't doing it out of laziness.

I bet not one of the English newsreaders who say Lock would talk about Johann Sebastian Back. 

Yassssss more old language/place name chat.
Scots used to have a letter called a yogh https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh which had a sort of yuh sound and looked like a 3 with the tail below the line.
When standard printing presses came in they didn't have yoghs so printers used a Z which didn't otherwise exist on Scots 
So Dal3iel, Men3ies Cul3ean etc would have been Dalyell, Menyies, Culyean  etc
When I was young I knew a family called MacKenzie who still pronounced it as a yogh.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The difference is non Welsh speakers basically have no frame of reference for LL and aren't doing it out of laziness.

A one off visitor, fair enough. It's the holiday home owners who pride themselves in not making an effort who should be thrown in a stone weighted sack into Llyn Tegid.

No more than we get annoyed by English tv presenters referring to Lock Lomond. The "ll" should be aspirated to the sides of the tongue, bit like a very soft Scottish "ch". "thl" is much better than just "L" though.
I'd been taught by a Welsh dwelling family member that the LL sound applied more when it appeared in the middle of a name.

Say for example Llangollen - would be pronounced with a harder C at the start - something like Clangochen. But there's every chance they were talking shite.

Is Ebbw Vale pronounced Ebba Vale and is Cardigan 'Cardeekan'?

2 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I'd been taught by a Welsh dwelling family member that the LL sound applied more when it appeared in the middle of a name.

Say for example Llangollen - would be pronounced with a harder C at the start - something like Clangochen. But there's every chance they were talking shite.

W is halfway between oo and uh, so it's ebbouh vale. Not sure Cardigan is Welsh, i think it might be English. 

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:
Scots used to have a letter called a yogh https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh which had a sort of yuh sound and looked like a 3 with the tail below the line.
When standard printing presses came in they didn't have yoghs so printers used a Z which didn't otherwise exist on Scots 

When I was young I knew a family called MacKenzie who still pronounced it as a yogh.

Just to clarify without adding anything new.

MacKenzie is the Scots form of a Gaelic name. There is no “Z” in Gaelic. In the original Gaelic form, instead of MacKenzie, you’d write MacCoineach (which means Son of Coineach or Son of Kenneth). Guess what? The name Coineach is pronounced Koinyogh. Yes - it’s that yogh (“ƺ”) sound that became represented by the letter “Z” in printing. Hence, MacCoinƺ came to sound like MacKoin-zee and soon mutated into the modern form MacKenzie.

So there you have it: someone killed Yogh “ƺ” . I accuse Paxton and his printing press.

5 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Pronunciation is quite different in the South compared to the North and Mid Wales, I only know how they speak in the North. 

36 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

While we’re on the subject, oven is pronounced ‘uhven’ not ‘ohven’

Dork in my work calls it 'Oh-ven'. Follows that with using foil under the grid in the grill as its "less cleaning up". When pointed out that putting the foil between the grid and sausages/bacon/whatever makes it even less cleaning up says "but then my food would taste like metal."

Edited by Mr. Alli

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Similarly the "Ye" part of "Ye Olde" is pronounced 'The'

The 'Y' began life as a 'thorn' þ with the symbol below being used to represent the word 'The'

Screenshot_20200918-173750_Opera.jpg