Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Did you work with Busta Nut back then?

Afraid not.

I work with a couple of people who are routinely completely rooked because of private school fees.  It's a nonsense.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Afraid not.

I work with a couple of people who are routinely completely rooked because of private school fees.  It's a nonsense.

My last job in the UK was with a company who routinely  paid bonuses  (but not always the same amount) so folk would assume the bonus was pretty much part of the package - a dangerous assumption if you're making your financial plans around it.   

Latest inflation figures from ONS was 0.4%, it came out yesterday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56502286
We got our annual payrise and bonus this week, I can't complain about either to be honest.  I earn a good salary and a review of some of our conditions has netted me a significant increase due to some non-payrise stuff. 
Bonsues aren't considered part of the package and we don't get them every year so I'm happy to get anything.  I used to work for a large financial company and there the bonus was considered part of your package and people would be absolutely raging if they only got a 5% bonus, people would demand meetings with managers about it, people would raise complaints.  The management team spent a huge amount of time producing evidence to back up what their bonus decisions were, it became an industry in itself.  Having said that, I got a 15% bonus one year, which was very welcome.
I worked in RBS for a bit and one woman told me that when the bank crashed in 2008 one of the guys asked for a meeting with the bosses following the announcement of no bonsues.  He was tearful and said he needed his bonus as they put it towards his kids private school fees and they couldn't afford it without the bonus.  The entire company had just been nationalised, was totally fucked, making some of the largest losses in history and this guy was wanting his usual £10,000+ bonus?  No m8.
The guy worked in finance, earning a decent amount and hadn't put enough aside to cover a £10,000 emergency shortfall? Sell one of your BMWs you clown.

Latest inflation figures from ONS was 0.4%, it came out yesterday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56502286
We got our annual payrise and bonus this week, I can't complain about either to be honest.  I earn a good salary and a review of some of our conditions has netted me a significant increase due to some non-payrise stuff. 
Bonsues aren't considered part of the package and we don't get them every year so I'm happy to get anything.  I used to work for a large financial company and there the bonus was considered part of your package and people would be absolutely raging if they only got a 5% bonus, people would demand meetings with managers about it, people would raise complaints.  The management team spent a huge amount of time producing evidence to back up what their bonus decisions were, it became an industry in itself.  Having said that, I got a 15% bonus one year, which was very welcome.
I worked in RBS for a bit and one woman told me that when the bank crashed in 2008 one of the guys asked for a meeting with the bosses following the announcement of no bonsues.  He was tearful and said he needed his bonus as they put it towards his kids private school fees and they couldn't afford it without the bonus.  The entire company had just been nationalised, was totally fucked, making some of the largest losses in history and this guy was wanting his usual £10,000+ bonus?  No m8.
It depends which rate you are tied to.
RPIH was 1.7%
RPIX was 1.6%
RPI was 1.4%
CPI was 0.4%

The joys of working in pensions and annual increases.

My last job in the UK was with a company who routinely  paid bonuses  (but not always the same amount) so folk would assume the bonus was pretty much part of the package - a dangerous assumption if you're making your financial plans around it.   
I've never understood people who live like this. Worked in a sales job years ago and remember someone saying that if he didnt hit top bracket sales bonus every month then he wouldn't be able to afford to eat!! That's just insane.

I bought a new house a couple of years ago just as our union guy was negotiating what turned out to be a belter of an overtime pay deal. Was working with him a few months later and he asked if I was raging that I bought the house when I did as if I'd left it for another couple of months I could have added an extra 100k onto the houses I was looking at with the extra money I could earn! Maybe I'm the silly one but for me the thought of being in the position to earn really good money but still be worrying about covering all the bills every month seems utterly pointless.

I've never understood people who live like this. Worked in a sales job years ago and remember someone saying that if he didnt hit top bracket sales bonus every month then he wouldn't be able to afford to eat!! That's just insane.

I bought a new house a couple of years ago just as our union guy was negotiating what turned out to be a belter of an overtime pay deal. Was working with him a few months later and he asked if I was raging that I bought the house when I did as if I'd left it for another couple of months I could have added an extra 100k onto the houses I was looking at with the extra money I could earn! Maybe I'm the silly one but for me the thought of being in the position to earn really good money but still be worrying about covering all the bills every month seems utterly pointless.
More than a few of them at my work. One in particular is going to be dead before he's 50 as a result IMO. Absolutely obsessed with money/the worry of earning enough each month. When he started he asked how much I made (same role at the time) and I told him the advice I was given when I started - base your life off the bare minimum you'll make each month, for common sense reasons. I gave him the figure and his response was "Oh f**k that, I'm fully expecting to make *£400 more than I'd quoted* a month". The sum he had in his head was doable but it meant relying on commission and OT. Absolutely batshit crazy behaviour. I want to be in work for the least time possible and budget my life accordingly. Doing a bit of OT because I fancy it, not because I need to do it.

Watching the Kate Garraway documentary, I was disappointed to see Derek Draper isn't as bad as I thought. He could hang on for ages yet.

However, Kate will need to get the house tidied before I move in, it's like a coup, and get her irritating weans packed off to Granny's.

17 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Not my strategy but I can understand why some folk take the highest mortgage they can  - it's a cheap loan and as time passes the relative cost reduces as salary increases take effect.  What I wouldn't suggest is taking variable income into account when getting loans, including a mortgage.  

Not my strategy but I can understand why some folk take the highest mortgage they can  - it's a cheap loan and as time passes the relative cost reduces as salary increases take effect.  What I wouldn't suggest is taking variable income into account when getting loans, including a mortgage.  
I saw the results of a study comparing spending of those financially independent and those not. Both groups spent the same percentage of income on things like entertainment, food and utilities. The only difference was the financially independent spent much less on housing and put the difference into savings.

That's obviously very simplified and generalised, but it's quite a striking result.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I saw the results of a study comparing spending of those financially independent and those not. Both groups spent the same percentage of income on things like entertainment, food and utilities. The only difference was the financially independent spent much less on housing and put the difference into savings.

That's obviously very simplified and generalised, but it's quite a striking result.

It is - kind of goes against the conventional wisdom that bricks and mortar is always a good investment 

could already be covered in the thread but im seeing "uptick" cropping up more and more, im sure ive seen posters using it here but its also coming up on, say, the beeb

image.png.723625e3f70dcacfc3f3a3a5d182148b.png

Right there, in the fucking headline.

i'm ready to approach this in a The More You Know way, but is this some kind of concerted banter word thats spreading? why not just use "increase"? is it a 'Muricanisation of the language? i are confuse.

I think it only really annoys so much because I keep thinking it's some kind of error and they mean "uptake" which wouldn't look as right i.e. it's not like children are deliberately taking up Covid in that headline example given...

Edit: Oh I've googled it, seemingly a North American word. Interesting, ties in with Alan Partridge's theory that Britain has a fetish for getting choked by the Americans culturally and also seemingly linguistically too. Great stuff.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Had a guy in doing some gardening work so had to lift 500 quid from the bank. Goes to the cash machine, up in the screen comes the options to withdraw 20, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and other. Presses the 500 button, few rumblings from the machine then gets the message "maximum withdrawal allowed from this ATM is £250. Please select a smaller amount."
Wtf is the point of the other options?

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Had a guy in doing some gardening work so had to lift 500 quid from the bank. Goes to the cash machine, up in the screen comes the options to withdraw 20, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and other. Presses the 500 button, few rumblings from the machine then gets the message "maximum withdrawal allowed from this ATM is £250. Please select a smaller amount."

@invergowrie arab

45 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I'll DM you the code for 500 notes 

Got a temporary filling yesterday after needing it done for a year. As he was putting the stuff in it set off the pain and I yelped so he asked if I wanted an injection. Thinking he wasn't finished I obviously took the injection so as not to feel that again. Injection kicked in and he said that was me. That's the first PTTGOMN - why the f**k did he not tell me we were done? I wouldn't have taken the injection had I known that. So my mouth was numb for hours and as I hate the feeling I stupidly dozed off for an hour and have fallen asleep with my jaw in an awkward position but as it's numb I've not felt it. Until the anaesthesia wore off/today. Absolute fucking agony. I've piled in about 8 co-codamol so far and just wish I had access to tramadol :(

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Right. A lot of time has elapsed.

Let’s revisit this.  What do you think actually happened re the £500 notes? We’re they maybe just oversized cheques?

I once got paid 500 quid cash in hand for doing some work with a pal who was a joiner. I was a poor student and usual rates were 200 a week but because this was an NHS contract he was able to rip the pish on the price of the job and we were all quids in.

The heady excitement of having 500 cash in hand (It was about 2004, that would be like having 520 pounds now) and having been paid in 100 quid notes, which I had never had before either, fused in my weed addled mind to create a new memory of having been paid with a 500 quid note.

As I wasn't sure of the memory I wisely asked on here if anyone had had a 500 pound note before and the P&B masses were able to advise therefore preventing any embarrassment or looking foolish on my part.