Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, approximately dave said:

I've broken an expensive 4TB via gravity- HD meet floor at speed and this while in use. Something broke inside that rattled and the drive f***ed. On another occasion I disconnected a 2TB by accident by catching the cable with a finger by just being clumsy, again damaged the drive. So I back everything up twice and I'm extremely careful with external hard drives.

That’s what I meant earlier though. What about when they start making computers which don’t have say a USB ports that they can be connected to because the computer moves to USB C or something and you don’t notice? Or the file types can no longer be opened due to file types no longer being supported?

We had a unit that had older equipment so that old media could be accessed. Lots of people had old floppy discs and CDs they could no longer access as their new computers no longer have disc drives of any variety. 

If you want to preserve them then you need to take some care to maintain them, checking the files can be opened, maybe saving them into new formats if needed. Just backing it up twice and leaving it isn’t enough.

8 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

That’s what I meant earlier though. What about when they start making computers which don’t have say a USB ports that they can be connected to because the computer moves to USB C or something and you don’t notice? Or the file types can no longer be opened due to file types no longer being supported?

We had a unit that had older equipment so that old media could be accessed. Lots of people had old floppy discs and CDs they could no longer access as their new computers no longer have disc drives of any variety. 

If you want to preserve them then you need to take some care to maintain them, checking the files can be opened, maybe saving them into new formats if needed. Just backing it up twice and leaving it isn’t enough.

The good thing is that there will always be a way of downloading from the different formats. You don't have to rely completely on computors to download your cds there will be gadgets for this if you take the time to search. I managed to digitalise all my VHS tapes back in 2010 more than a good decade after they had disappeared from shops and I still have the equipment to do this, same with cassette tapes.

All you need to do is pay attention so you don't get left behind and it is actually quite hard to get left behind, you get plenty of warnings on what is getting phased out years before it happens if you frequently keep up to date through the music media or gadget websites or magazines What-Hi Fi is very good. The next gen external hard drives are blue tooth, which will mean eventually most devices will either reduce the number of usb sockets or do away with them all together. All my devices are blue tooth, can do both so no worries.

Advert on TV for a collector magazine to build a Batmobile Tumbler. Collect in 120 issues, first issue £1.99, normal price £10.99, which is just £1,309.80 for the complete series. Would be better to save the money each seek and buy a decent model if you are really wanted one.

How does digitised VHS look on a 4K screen, by the way? I seem to remember that most of the old machines people used to use created sub-DVD resolution video, so by this point I'd have thought they'd look pretty blurry blown up on a modern screen.

Can you get non-professional equipment to digitise VHS to HD resolution?

35 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Advert on TV for a collector magazine to build a Batmobile Tumbler. Collect in 120 issues, first issue £1.99, normal price £10.99, which is just £1,309.80 for the complete series. Would be better to save the money each seek and buy a decent model if you are really wanted one.

Does it play the batman theme song when you drink out of it?

2 hours ago, approximately dave said:

The good thing is that there will always be a way of downloading from the different formats. You don't have to rely completely on computors to download your cds there will be gadgets for this if you take the time to search. I managed to digitalise all my VHS tapes back in 2010 more than a good decade after they had disappeared from shops and I still have the equipment to do this, same with cassette tapes.

All you need to do is pay attention so you don't get left behind and it is actually quite hard to get left behind, you get plenty of warnings on what is getting phased out years before it happens if you frequently keep up to date through the music media or gadget websites or magazines What-Hi Fi is very good. The next gen external hard drives are blue tooth, which will mean eventually most devices will either reduce the number of usb sockets or do away with them all together. All my devices are blue tooth, can do both so no worries.

If you want your music to last a seriously long time the best thing is to carve the binary code into a giant slab of concrete and bury it as far below as you can manage, so @Melanius Mullarkay told me.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you want your music to last a seriously long time the best thing is to carve the binary code into a giant slab of concrete and bury it as far below as you can manage, so @Melanius Mullarkay told me.

Or stick them all onto C90 cassettes and knock the tabs out.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

How does digitised VHS look on a 4K screen, by the way? I seem to remember that most of the old machines people used to use created sub-DVD resolution video, so by this point I'd have thought they'd look pretty blurry blown up on a modern screen.

Can you get non-professional equipment to digitise VHS to HD resolution?

Crap…but so do old SD videos on DVD or over the air. There are/were VHS players that upconvert(ed) the output to near HD, but they tended to have lots of video artifacts. Generally, you’ll get the old 4:3 SD versus the 16:9 HD, and even an upconverted video will retain the 4:3 ratio.

11 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Dave, you do realise that when you die, all your stuff is going in the skip?

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

These things look great if you ignore the price but I'd be worried that I'd get ten weeks in and the company would decide that sales weren't high enough and stop production.

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Or stick them all onto C90 cassettes and knock the tabs out.

doesn't work, my sister brought a few of my old cassettes the last time she was over, she was left with a few boxes of my shite.  I got very excited.....none of them worked. 

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

I think people often turn a blind eye to just how uncomfortable and annoying it has having people staying over at your house over Christmas time. Maybe Christmas Day itself is fun but by the 29th it can be incredibly invasive.

Relatives kicked you out?

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Dave, you do realise that when you die, all your stuff is going in the skip?

CD collector has collection buried with him. 

1000 years later on Time Team 3020:

Professor "We've examined the grave goods and they were some kind of late 20th Century device for storing sound. We've scanned it using our atomic scanners and have reached a conclusion"

Presenter "And what conclusion is it?"

Professor "He had fucking shite taste in music"

Cheap bin bags, genuinely the biggest waste of money. Whilst I'm at it cheap toilet rolls. 

Could also go in the infuriating partner thread due to the maniac buying this pish on the rare occasion she does the shopping.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Cheap bin bags, genuinely the biggest waste of money. Whilst I'm at it cheap toilet rolls. 

Could also go in the infuriating partner thread due to the maniac buying this pish on the rare occasion she does the shopping.

Same; she came back with Scott 1-ply a couple of years back; all it did was smear debris across whatever radius it touched. The even better bit was she ‘got a good deal’ and spent about $15 on 300 acres of the stuff.