Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

On holiday in Turkey just now and been awake since just after 2am due to a Scottish couple on the same floor having a domestic, the female being the one shouting longest and loudest. 

This went on so long somebody else felt the need to call the cops. Even when the cops were here she was still going at it. 

Suspect alcohol may have played a part in it all. 

I dont know if I'm more annoyed at the female or my own partner and son who slept through the whole thing!

It will all be worth it when you're rocking your new hair/teeth.

On 26/06/2023 at 10:25, Connor1874 said:

Everybody loves a bit of cake now and then, aye? But at what point does a nice wee cake turn into some ****ing art exhibition? Missus was showing me photos of some cake company's work on Facebook last night. 'How cool is that?', one of them was a huge JCB digger cake for a bairns birthday. Massive I tell you.

While I have to say the craftsmanship is impressive, my mind can't help but switch to thinking 'it's a ****ing cake'. How much time and effort goes into making some of these? Let alone how much money gets spent on them? Couldn't really care what it looks like on the outside, it's still sponge with a bit of cream or jam on the inside. 

Got me thinking about other foods and peoples fixation on presentation. 'Ohh look at this, it's 'Food A' but it looks like 'Food B' or 'look how pristine the plating is on this'. Who actually cares? Granted I don't want my meal to look like the proverbial dogs dinner, but it's about to get demolished and mashed up in my stomach in a few minutes.

Just felt I had to rant a wee bit there. Feel better now. Might go get cake.

When I worked at TGI's the food had to be, and these were their very words, "Instagram ready". Fuckin boke.

Anyway, I'm sure @johnnydun has some opinions on this given his boy is going for a Michelin star.

My issue with the JCB type cake is how do you cut it up for the weans without creating a Barney? Bairns are absolute communists when it comes to division of cake and will start a civil war if they get less than their pal.

42 minutes ago, velo army said:

When I worked at TGI's the food had to be, and these were their very words, "Instagram ready". Fuckin boke.

Anyway, I'm sure @johnnydun has some opinions on this given his boy is going for a Michelin star.

My issue with the JCB type cake is how do you cut it up for the weans without creating a Barney? Bairns are absolute communists when it comes to division of cake and will start a civil war if they get less than their pal.

I'm certainly no expert, in fact, really shite at cooking. But if I were to take a guess it would be that the food must look appealing to begin with, to get the mouth watering etc.. build the anticipation. 

As for the cakes, well it's just a novelty.

One of my ex's used to make and sell these high cost cakes and honestly, they were cool AF. The price point on them was astronomical though. I loved watching them come together though and some of the equipment she used for the edible designs etc were quite pricey.

I was always more in awe of the prices she managed to regularly charged for 12/24 cupcakes. Seemed every week, twice a week, shed get an order and absolutely fleece folk for decent enough cupcakes but because they come in a nice box folk would pay about £25/£40 rather than just go to Asda and get a dozen for about £2.

Edited by Derry Alli

18 hours ago, velo army said:

The exact same way parents have been resolving this for ages.

Get 'em in pairs.  One cuts, the other gets 1st choice of which bit they take.

Someone ran into the back of my car last night while I was at a red light. No great damage to my solid East European tank but I'm spending my birthday today phoning the insurance company and feeling slightly rattled.

20 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Someone ran into the back of my car last night while I was at a red light. No great damage to my solid East European tank but I'm spending my birthday today phoning the insurance company and feeling slightly rattled.

What damage could a jogger possibly do to a car?

Work trip down south this week, flight home from Gatwick to Edinburgh delayed by an hour or so. In the delay time there was then a fire alarm in the terminal prompting a full evacuation. Got back in to the terminal and boarded the flight, but then didn't move for the next hour. Then told that we had to get off the plane and go back through security due to the earlier evacuation. As I was in the security queue (around 10pm) the flight was then cancelled. Re-booked on to the 7am flight tomorrow, but no hotels available within 7 miles of the airport, so a night in Gatwick North Terminal it is!

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Work trip down south this week, flight home from Gatwick to Edinburgh delayed by an hour or so. In the delay time there was then a fire alarm in the terminal prompting a full evacuation. Got back in to the terminal and boarded the flight, but then didn't move for the next hour. Then told that we had to get off the plane and go back through security due to the earlier evacuation. As I was in the security queue (around 10pm) the flight was then cancelled. Re-booked on to the 7am flight tomorrow, but no hotels available within 7 miles of the airport, so a night in Gatwick North Terminal it is!

Sounds like a night of reviving old threads on P&B!