Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 26/02/2024 at 15:13, Hedgecutter said:

When all you want to do is turn the TV on and you're met with this:

PXL_20240226_150341215.thumb.jpg.237cc56b49a6543356f7d4f1fb65f8a6.jpg

Or just anybody's TV setup which involves two or more controllers.

The pictured one is an overcomplicated sound system that lets people in Tristan da Cunha hear any music or explosions should you dare turn up the volume to hear what the characters are saying.

Is your living room a HS computing classroom? 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

The volume of adverts being at a much higher decibel level than the program that’s on. 

Mind just went to this.

6 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

It's the anniversary of the passing plus,

1st Christmas without,

1st Birthday (their birthday and the dead one) where you weren't there,

1st Easter without resurrection 

1st Clyde win since passing.

Some I can get a younger sibling lost or child but it was your granny, it was 17 years ago, and she was 96 when she went, 

hard luck on missing the telegram from the Queen but she had a good innings so let it go.

In my Granny's case the Queen checked out ten days before my Granny was due her telegram 🤣

Social media has a lot to answer for. 

1 minute ago, RH33 said:

In my Granny's case the Queen checked out ten days before my Granny was due her telegram 🤣

Social media has a lot to answer for. 

I’ve probably told this before but the Queen died on my wee boys birthday and just as we were singing hip hip hooray was the exact moment the flag was lowered and Huw the paedo announced it. I love to think what anyone walking past hearing the celebrations would have thought. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I’ve probably told this before but the Queen died on my wee boys birthday and just as we were singing hip hip hooray was the exact moment the flag was lowered and Huw the paedo announced it. I love to think what anyone walking past hearing the celebrations would have thought. 

🤣🤣

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This really is quite petty, but I absolute do not get folk making a thing of anniversaries of shite things happening. Can just about accept birthdays and Wedding anniversaries, but having a wallow about in the anniversary of a loss is baffling to me. 

I get that, but next month marks a year since my dad died. I don't know yet if or how it will affect me.

I managed his birthday and Christmas fine, but New Year nearly broke me.

Excusing terrible refereeing decisions (or anything similar) by saying “but we/they should’ve played better and done x, y and z”

Absolutely ridiculous, I don’t care if you missed 100 open goals in the match, if you scored 1 and it gets disallowed for no reason then you should be furious. Thank you to some St Mirren fan on Twitter and loads of rugby people for their inspiration. 

8 hours ago, Rugster said:

Big team found

11 hours ago, Venti said:

Derek Rae's pronunciation of Antoine Griezmann in FC24.

Not sure if it's only him, but this has been getting on my nerves recently too. 

After a career of being called "Greez-man" I now hear it pronounced like "Grey-ez-man".

Generally, commentators trying too hard to pronounce foreign names correctly is a PTTGOYN of mine.

12 hours ago, Venti said:

Derek Rae's pronunciation of Antoine Griezmann in FC24.

Derek Rae’s pronunciation of anything at all. He started his career with a Scottish accent, became an American ‘sportscaster’ before adopting an English accent. He’s an utter fraud. 

11 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I get that, but next month marks a year since my dad died. I don't know yet if or how it will affect me.

I managed his birthday and Christmas fine, but New Year nearly broke me.

One of the reasons I hate Mothers' and Fathers' Days. One of the shopping websites which regularly sends me e-mails has given me the opportunity to opt out of Mothers' Day stuff, which I wish they would all do.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Generally, commentators trying too hard to pronounce foreign names correctly is a PTTGOYN of mine.

Commentators should be trying the right amount of hard to pronounce people's names. That amount is finding out how they're supposed to be pronounced and then pronouncing them that way.

The terrible journalism thread is full of posters slating media folk for not knowing enough about the players. Surely getting their names right should be the starting point.

Edited by DiegoDiego

On the subject of remembering blokes being nailed to posts, this easter bunny shit gets on my nerves.

We never had an easter bunny, so i don't know the story behind it. I guess it's some country's pagan symbol of spring, but f**k knows what the connection is with the chocolate eggs. 

Egg shape on the other hand is the optimum shape for chocolate and well worth the 300% price jacking. I'd like to thank Jesus for inventing chocolate eggs. 

I think the story was they nailed him to a tree for Christmas (hence Christmas trees and balls on the branches) then they threw him in a cave with a giant rock shaped like an egg blocking the entrance that it took him 3 days to gnaw through. We use chocolate instead of stone because kids today don't have teeth like Boomers did. 

Dunno about the bunny. Maybe he wiped his arse with it when he was stuck in the cave with no loo roll. 

56 minutes ago, coprolite said:

On the subject of remembering blokes being nailed to posts, this easter bunny shit gets on my nerves.

We never had an easter bunny, so i don't know the story behind it. I guess it's some country's pagan symbol of spring, but f**k knows what the connection is with the chocolate eggs. 

Egg shape on the other hand is the optimum shape for chocolate and well worth the 300% price jacking. I'd like to thank Jesus for inventing chocolate eggs. 

45 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I think the story was they nailed him to a tree for Christmas (hence Christmas trees and balls on the branches) then they threw him in a cave with a giant rock shaped like an egg blocking the entrance that it took him 3 days to gnaw through. We use chocolate instead of stone because kids today don't have teeth like Boomers did. 

Dunno about the bunny. Maybe he wiped his arse with it when he was stuck in the cave with no loo roll. 

Only tangentially related, but made me think of this Catholic Grotto in Cork:

image.png.9d55887ced2cef8d4df63fa1bd7a0714.png

image.png.7093a92da774207547105839d7397a8f.png

Imagine walking out on to the balcony of your new flat on a sunny morning to be greeted with the sight near life-size recreation of a man being tortured to death.

4 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Only tangentially related, but made me think of this Catholic Grotto in Cork:

image.png.9d55887ced2cef8d4df63fa1bd7a0714.png

image.png.7093a92da774207547105839d7397a8f.png

Imagine walking out on to the balcony of your new flat on a sunny morning to be greeted with the sight near life-size recreation of a man being tortured to death.

Pretty sure any prospective buyer would have been aware of the existence of the grotto.