Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Could it be that some companies are trying to go paper free, and only give out a paper receipt if the customer demands one?

Either that, or they want to bombard your Inbox with their latest offers. 

"child on board" signs.

Aye, we were happy enough risking the lives of others, but if there's a kid aboard then we'll make an exception.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

"child on board" signs.

Aye, we were happy enough risking the lives of others, but if there's a kid aboard then we'll make an exception.

I'd say the vast majority of people with these are actually terrible drivers themselves.

42 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

"child on board" signs.

Not got the "Baby up in this bitch" signs yet?

9 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Could it be that some companies are trying to go paper free, and only give out a paper receipt if the customer demands one?

Either that, or they want to bombard your Inbox with their latest offers. 

Even if every other company went paper free, Boots would still print forty trees worth with every transaction to balance it out

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

"child on board" signs.

Don't have s problem with it myself.

Might stop the occasional c**t on the road from being quite so cunty.

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

This was at Argyle Street in Glasgow. I don't think they do this at our nearest HMV, although I haven't bought anything there in years and just end up browsing - the days of decent HMV sales seem long gone.

It was interesting to see how it went from being a music shop to one that primarily sold films, only now they've switched back to a massive music floor, with the top floor dedicated to t-shirts and plastic tat and a small section for films in the middle. Shame that film sales have died off, but it's nice to see a music shop going back to selling music in a big way, even if they charge a fucking fortune for everything. I was primarily buying records for 99p back in the Nineties because nobody wanted them anymore  :blink:

You can still get paper receipts there and in Fopp. You say "no thank you" and they print one.

4 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

"child on board" signs.

I was told that these signs originated from the US (of course) and were supposedly for information for the emergency services in case of one of their freeway pile ups that they get. 

images.png.e75e7990fce9f8df69a69f2147e9e9fe.png

You can buy this one.. 

Spoiler

.. although this one might suit you better :P

onboard.jpg.c97df387601f1e03e1d8353d62b7d2a3.jpg

48 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Don't have s problem with it myself.

Might stop the occasional c**t on the road from being quite so cunty.

^^^ dash cam owner. 

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was told that these signs originated from the US (of course) and were supposedly for information for the emergency services in case of one of their freeway pile ups that they get. 

And of course the car owners remove the sign every time they are in the car with no child on board.  Otherwise, those poor emergency service workers will be looking for a child that isn't their.  I'm pretty sure the emergency workers place as much store by the sign as they should.  

Scots who make a big song and dance about Scottish notes not getting accepted in England but then look at Northern Irish notes in Scotland as if they're renminbi.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Scots who make a big song and dance about Scottish notes not getting accepted in England but then look at Northern Irish notes in Scotland as if they're renminbi.

To be fair, the position of Bank of England notes and those of Scotland and Northern Ireland is a bit mad.  Most people if pressed would struggle to be clear on accepting notes.

There's at least 2 definitions used - legal currency and legal tender. AIUI all these notes are legal currency, but none of them, including Bank of England notes are legal tender.

Could do with tidying up the laws/rules on these TBH.

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

To be fair, the position of Bank of England notes and those of Scotland and Northern Ireland is a bit mad.  Most people if pressed would struggle to be clear on accepting notes.

There's at least 2 definitions used - legal currency and legal tender. AIUI all these notes are legal currency, but none of them, including Bank of England notes are legal tender.

They tried to get rid of our notes in the 1820s.

Sir Walter Scott, despite being a Tory Unionist, led a campaign against this. 

The thing that throws me is that one of the NI banks was taken over by Danske Bank so the notes say Danske Bank on them and you always think you're getting Danish money. 

And the machines in Sainsbury's in South Bridge wouldn't accept a NI fiver... 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

And of course the car owners remove the sign every time they are in the car with no child on board.  Otherwise, those poor emergency service workers will be looking for a child that isn't their.  I'm pretty sure the emergency workers place as much store by the sign as they should.  

Or in Scotland they wait for three days before examining the wreckage...

Jose Mourinho keeping getting gigs and proclaiming that he’d die for the shirt. Will likely be in a parlour right now getting a Fenerbache tattoo and planning how to plant a flag on the Galatasaray centre spot. It’s the only club he’s ever wanted to manage.

Petty things that get on your other football thread? 🤪

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

... and very folk accept a £50* note these days; think I saw 3 places with signs up in shops just yesterday specifically stating their policy.  I seemed to be the exception in a previous touristy job when it was quite handy to reduce the number of notes to handle/deposit.  Always used to surprise the tourists that when they chanced their luck. 

It's confusing for the tourists too, but there's always one foreign arsehole who wants to teach a Scottish company about a non-existent Scottish law.  "You must accept zis!".  Erm, naw.

Always feel sorry for tourists who get them handed out at the BDC though.

D1UCZQsXQAEUYiv.jpg.b7ebbdff1b83ef8c3a083cbe4fe44a5c.jpg

ETA: *nor (presumedly) home-printed £500 notes.

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

They tried to get rid of our notes in the 1820s.

Sir Walter Scott, despite being a Tory Unionist, led a campaign against this. 

The thing that throws me is that one of the NI banks was taken over by Danske Bank so the notes say Danske Bank on them and you always think you're getting Danish money. 

And the machines in Sainsbury's in South Bridge wouldn't accept a NI fiver... 

That brown nosedcunt is responsible for all the tartan shops up and down the royal mile.

2 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Falkirk fans crowd wankin

I'm sorry to hear that this annoys you.

No, hang on. That isn't right.

I'm delighted to hear that this annoys you. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'm sorry to hear that this annoys you.

No, hang on. That isn't right.

I'm delighted to hear that this annoys you. 

It didn’t initially, but they go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on, ya know like bairns greetin for attention