Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

People in the supermarket who use self service machines and scan everything, pay and then after decide to bag it all.

In what way is that a logical way of doing it?

Only if you bring your own bags.

46 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

American friends who think that because I'm British, I must by definition be a fan of everything else that's British. James Corden, the shitty imported sit-coms we get here, and my personal teeth-grinder, the royal family (specifically, Prince George - f**k, I would love to punch that little git before he gets big enough to hit me back.)

Although perhaps worse than that, are the toerags who think that because 'they' can't bear to hear criticism of anything American, I must feel the same way about anything British. Therefore, when they wish to put "me" down, they insult British food, dentistry or the weather as if I'm personally responsible for those things and this is the way to hurt my feelings.

Just this morning, I had some friend-of-a-friend twat on Facebook respond to a post I made criticizing President Cheeto-head by badmouthing Winston Churchill. Oh yeah, way to put me in my place. :rolleyes:

So very, very many confusing conversations to be had when you're a Scot in the US. My father-in-law used to like making cracks about pigs when I was around, which had me mystified for months. Turned out he was making reference to that ancient stereotype of the rural Irishman with the pig under his arm. Certainly put me in my place, as you can imagine.

7 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

About 12

I think we may have answered your question.

Related - the way that even websites like the BBC have started to adopt the clickbait-style headlines for articles like, "something happened - you won't BELIEVE what happened next!". I can only assume the younger journos now think that this is just how the pros write for the web, because you certainly aren't going to attract more views by making people think the article is the kind of scam they've fallen for before.

When they tell you that the Piri piri olives you've bought are hot, and you get home and try them and they're actually like eating a raw scotch bonnet. Hot means spicy, not fucking inedible.just stood with my tongue under the tap for about 5 minutes straight.  For fucks sake. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

So very, very many confusing conversations to be had when you're a Scot in the US. My father-in-law used to like making cracks about pigs when I was around, which had me mystified for months. Turned out he was making reference to that ancient stereotype of the rural Irishman with the pig under his arm. Certainly put me in my place, as you can imagine.

:thumsup2

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

American friends who think that because I'm British, I must by definition be a fan of everything else that's British. James Corden, the shitty imported sit-coms we get here, and my personal teeth-grinder, the royal family (specifically, Prince George - f**k, I would love to punch that little git before he gets big enough to hit me back.)

Although perhaps worse than that, are the toerags who think that because 'they' can't bear to hear criticism of anything American, I must feel the same way about anything British. Therefore, when they wish to put "me" down, they insult British food, dentistry or the weather as if I'm personally responsible for those things and this is the way to hurt my feelings.

Just this morning, I had some friend-of-a-friend twat on Facebook respond to a post I made criticizing President Cheeto-head by badmouthing Winston Churchill. Oh yeah, way to put me in my place. :rolleyes:

Easy way around this pish. You're Scottish...

6 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Easy way around this pish. You're Scottish...

Scotland's part of England though, right?

Seriously; when you try to explain that England isn't a synonym for Britain, that someone can be Scottish and British and that the same person can also be from the UK, and even allegedly intelligent Americans get a deer in the headlights look. Worst of all is when you get cornered by an American of Irish descent because they're ALL experts on British history. It's making my head hurt just thinking about it.

30 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Seriously; when you try to explain that England isn't a synonym for Britain, that someone can be Scottish and British and that the same person can also be from the UK, and even allegedly intelligent Americans get a deer in the headlights look. Worst of all is when you get cornered by an American of Irish descent because they're ALL experts on British history. It's making my head hurt just thinking about it.

Just talk to the Americans as if they';re from California. (If they are from California, talk to them as if they're from Texas.)

37 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Never, ever admit to being "British". I have a Scottish Birth Certificate, being born in Scotland, my wife has a Polish Birth Certificate, being born in Poland. We both hold UK passports, being entitled to UK citizenship. She is Polish and I am Scottish. NEVER British...

3 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Never, ever admit to being "British". I have a Scottish Birth Certificate, being born in Scotland, my wife has a Polish Birth Certificate, being born in Poland. We both hold UK passports, being entitled to UK citizenship. She is Polish and I am Scottish. NEVER British...

Image result for mcglashan absolutely

Just talk to the Americans as if they';re from California. (If they are from California, talk to them as if they're from Texas.)

As a rule, liberals hate Texas, conservatives hate California. Comes in handy for the windup.

No argument from me. It's only really problematic when people start telling me where I'm from and I misguidedly try to correct them.

8 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

As a rule, liberals hate Texas, conservatives hate California. Comes in handy for the windup.

Are you safe if you say you've friends in Austin then? I've got into trouble every time I've been in America, gently teasing about politics. It's so hard not to, and the reaction when they realise can be frightening.

Are you safe if you say you've friends in Austin then? I've got into trouble every time I've been in America, gently teasing about politics. It's so hard not to, and the reaction when they realise can be frightening.

You definitely need to know your audience, particularly in the confrontational atmosphere we have going on right now. If you aren't sure your teasing will be well received, it's better to bite your tongue. I wish it wasn't so but it is.

For the record, other Texans hate people from Austin.