Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Anyway, here's today's moany-arse PTTGOMN.

We had a power cut this morning. No big deal; it's part of living in the mountains and they rarely last more than a few minutes. The Internet was out too and as I had (fortunately) just made a fresh coffee I decided to use the excuse for a skive and went to sit outside with my book. It's a beautiful day - not yet hot and everything was just idyllic. Until my neighbour, who is off today, decided he needed to fire up his portable generator because doG forbid he go without electricity for more than a moment or two.

Then he went out for a ride on his motorbike, leaving the generator running. The power's back on now, I'm inside and "working" but I'm going to have to listen to that bloody thing rumble on until he gets home.

8 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

We had a power cut this morning. No big deal; it's part of living in the mountains and they rarely last more than a few minutes. The Internet was out too and as I had (fortunately) just made a fresh coffee I decided to use the excuse for a skive and went to sit outside with my book. It's a beautiful day - not yet hot and everything was just idyllic. Until my neighbour, who is off today, decided he needed to fire up his portable generator because doG forbid he go without electricity for more than a moment or two.

Then he went out for a ride on his motorbike, leaving the generator running. The power's back on now, I'm inside and "working" but I'm going to have to listen to that bloody thing rumble on until he gets home.

Stick a tattie in the exhaust.

12 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Pour sugar in the tank. More than likely he hasn't got a relative visiting on dialysis.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Pour sugar in the tank. More than likely he hasn't got a relative visiting on dialysis.

Chuckle. Actually now I think about it - his elderly maw-in-law lives with them and while not on dialysis, I think she does use an oxygen tank to help her with the breathing thing. No doubt that's why he was so quick to fire up the generator when the power went out. Feel a bit bad for whining about it now.

Not too much though.

Every Friday I come home from work, open the entry door and smell some absolutely brutal cleaning stuff.

Boy comes in and mops the hallway every Friday. And I just know by the time I get to my landing I'll be seething. The guy just leaves everyone's doormats flung all over the place, mine has once ended up on the floor below as it's went under the railing down the staircase.

Worst bit about it is the fact I actually pay about £42 factor charge a month for the privilege.

Would much rather just look after and clean up my own floors landing, would take 2 minutes to do what he does. Plus I'd buy cleaning stuff that didn't absolutely reek.

Anyone ever hired to clean the stairs in a close/block of flats is a moron who actively tries to make them dirtier. I swear the folk who do mine use the same mop and the same bucket of dirty water every week for every block they do. Phone up whoever it is and tell them you don't want the stairs for your landing done and do them yourself. It'll be a fraction of the price, a significantly better job and you won't make me raging about my own pathetic existence when you post about yours.

Went to get some Tattie scones from Tesco and they had three choices, one of which was actual 'potato scones' the other two were 'Irish potato cakes' even though they were clearly just normal Scottish tattie scones. Why are they trying to take our foods and pretend they are Irish when they are Scottish? To make matters worse when I went further down the aisle they had something called an 'Irish Bannock' which was quite clearly a Selkirk bannock.

Who in tesco is taking our foods and marketing them as Irish?

There was a time that Archie Tesco & Stuart Aldi, along with Alasdair Morrison & Struan Co-op, knocked all the tatties from Ireland, causing a massive out-flux to the USA, and NOW you're complaining? Ffs.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Chuckle. Actually now I think about it - his elderly maw-in-law lives with them and while not on dialysis, I think she does use an oxygen tank to help her with the breathing thing. No doubt that's why he was so quick to fire up the generator when the power went out. Feel a bit bad for whining about it now.

Not too much though.

"So what did your neighbour say when the power went off?"

"WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!"

37 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Worst bit about it is the fact I actually pay about £42 factor charge a month for the privilege.

£42 a MONTH? There are eight flats in our stair, so three flights plus the ground floor passage. A guy comes in every second Wednesday and each flat pays £1.60 per visit. Always makes a good job of it.

Anyone ever hired to clean the stairs in a close/block of flats is a moron who actively tries to make them dirtier. I swear the folk who do mine use the same mop and the same bucket of dirty water every week for every block they do. Phone up whoever it is and tell them you don't want the stairs for your landing done and do them yourself. It'll be a fraction of the price, a significantly better job and you won't make me raging about my own pathetic existence when you post about yours.

U ok hunny? X

Alternatively, stop living the life of an unemployed mother of three and move in to a house you peasant

54 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

When I stayed in Glasgow the woman down the stairs used to wash the landings and steps with diluted vinegar.
The entire close was stinking for ages afterwards. Unless you closed the storm door it would waft into the house.

She was from Germany or Russia or one of those weird countries that don't have normal cleaning liquids yet.

£42 a MONTH? There are eight flats in our stair, so three flights plus the ground floor passage. A guy comes in every second Wednesday and each flat pays £1.60 per visit. Always makes a good job of it.

It's a charge for them maintaining the block... but they only clean the landings. When anything additional comes up, for example the entry door needed fixed, an additional charge was put in on top of that too. It's a wind up.

I was trying to get out of it but the whole block needs to be in agreement I'm sure.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Some boy Matthew, he's got one in Dundee.

I know a Chinese boy called Matthew, one called Kenneth, and two lassies called Karen and Nancy.  

None of them are supermarket related though.

My old neighbours used to be Chinese, they probably still are. Their kids were called Katie and Ting. I asked about their names and they explained they wanted Western names for them.

"Oh right, fair enough."

Aye, Matthew's is a chain. Seen a few of their supermarkets.

I refuse to go to any other Chinese supermarket since See Woo opened in Glasgow though. It pisses all over every other one in Scotland by a considerable margin.