Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

6 hours ago, Northboy said:

I used to work with a guy who was well into cycling and was always asking for sponsorship for some bike ride or another which eventually pissed people off. Cycling was his hobby - someone pointed out to him that their hobby was going to the pub on a Friday/Saturday evening and asked whether he'd like to sponsor that!

This.

I have a mate who is in the fortunate position of not having to work for a living. Like me; he's a keen cyclist so uses his time to go on long rides 3-5 times a week. Good for him; that's a life I would like myself. He enters every charity ride going but the problem is he expects me to do them with him or failing that, sponsor his efforts. Despite me explaining it multiple times; he still doesn't get that I have a job and therefore, don't have anything like the spare time he does to prepare for these (often quite demanding) rides. Or, that I might prefer to support charities that I care about, rather than whoever has attached their name to his latest jaunt. 

Earlier this year he wanted me to join him on a ride to raise money for his local school district. Thing is; it would be my guess that's one of the richest school districts in the State. If you drive past one of the high schools during term time, the cars in the student car park are nicer than anything I've ever owned. When I wouldn't ride the event, or give him money for it he then suggested "Well, they need volunteers at the aid stations." Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr, maybe they could get the fucking high school kids to do that? 

f**k that shit.

:lol: And less than 5 minutes after typing that last post, I received an email from someone wanting me to give them money so they can go sky-diving "for charity."

How about you just f**k off and pay for your own day out.

On 21/08/2017 at 17:20, Hampden Diehard said:

My local main post office is open until 5.30 but they won't accept anything after 5.15 to be posted that day. As of today, the deadline is 5.05. In times when people are deserting Royal Mail in their droves for other carriers, a decrease in service is not the way to go.

While I'm at it.... there's always at least one of them cashing up rather than dealing with the queue.

The Royal Mail and the Post Office are two different companies - your Post Office doesn't control when the Royal Mail make the last pick-up. If they've said it's to be at five minutes past five, that's that. Royal Mail don't care because they have a virtual monopoly on domestic parcels under 2kg in weight, as the couriers don't meet their prices, nor have anything like the same presence in drop-off outlets.

The Post Office staff most likely stop getting paid at 5.30 on the dot, and will have been told to have their tills cashed up by then, or do it on their own time. If you're wondering why it takes so long, any discrepancies come out of their wages; I know a girl who lost £100 from her wage a few weeks back, and the till was probably short when she started. You'll understand why folk consider that more important than serving people at the end of their shift.

<<< aye, Post Office worker found  :P

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The Royal Mail and the Post Office are two different companies - your Post Office doesn't control when the Royal Mail make the last pick-up. If they've said it's to be at five minutes past five, that's that. Royal Mail don't care because they have a virtual monopoly on domestic parcels under 2kg in weight, as the couriers don't meet their prices, nor have anything like the same presence in drop-off outlets.

The Post Office staff most likely stop getting paid at 5.30 on the dot, and will have been told to have their tills cashed up by then, or do it on their own time. If you're wondering why it takes so long, any discrepancies come out of their wages; I know a girl who lost £100 from her wage a few weeks back, and the till was probably short when she started. You'll understand why folk consider that more important than serving people at the end of their shift.

<<< aye, Post Office worker found  :P

The bags leave Inverness earlier, I think about 3pm. I don't see how Royal Mail are the baddies here, if you want next day delivery all the other firms have a cut off point, logistically there has to be, and it might not coincide with Post Office closing times.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The bags leave Inverness earlier, I think about 3pm. I don't see how Royal Mail are the baddies here, if you want next day delivery all the other firms have a cut off point, logistically there has to be, and it might not coincide with Post Office closing times.

It's 5pm for us with Special Delivery, although Royal Mail often do a last sweep at about 6pm to pick up the last dregs of regular mail. No idea if those get further than the depot before the next morning, but everything that's dropped off by five-thirty leaves the building that day.

It's surprising how many folk get confused about 1st Class post - it's not guaranteed to arrive by the next day. There's a delivery aim  of 1-2 working days, which is a different thing entirely, and it's only guaranteed to arrive within 15 working days, which I'd imagine would be a bit of an eye-opener for a lot of folk. Recorded delivery (Signed For) has no effect on the delivery speed either; literally the only difference is that the receiver has to sign for the item when it arrives. Amazing how many people ask for Recorded Delivery because "I need it to get there tomorrow".