Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 01/09/2017 at 14:34, Jamaldo said:

People who cough without covering their mouth. Usually old, jakey men.

I'll raise you folk who cough into their hand, then reach out with it to shake yours. They don't even have the excuse of ignorance.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Films/TV shows where people pick up a phone and immediately start talking.

Also when they always find a parking spot in a major city right outside or over the road from the building they are about to enter.

Setting myself up for a storm of abuse here, but...

People who call their kids after themselves. Are they so unimaginative that they can't think of a different name? Or do they feel that the world can't get on without them so producing a Mini-Me will somehow ease the sorrow when they pop their clogs?

Okay, fill your boots...

Edited by GordonD

32 minutes ago, GordonD said:

People who call their kids after themselves. Are they so unimaginative that they can't think of a different name? Or do they feel that the world can't get on without them so producing a Mini-Me will somehow ease the sorrow when they pop their clogs?

Okay, fill your boots...

About 100 years ago Bob Hope played a character in a film called Lawrence L. Lawrence.

He was asked what the "L" stood for.

"Lawrence" he replied, "My parents didn't have much imagination"

41 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Okay, fill your boots...

^^^ Named after his mum.

The name thing is a difficult one. Trying to keep a straight face when hearing the names of some of the kids in our baby group was difficult, but it just seems to be standard that kids have odd names these days.

As a parent the rules are fairly simple when picking a name. Think long and hard about what embarrassing nicknames your kids name can get made into before choosing one , and if you want to go for an unusual spelling think about how willing you are to put up with years of misspelled birthday cards , cake decorations name badges etc .... Bonus points if you can avoid naming them after a character in whatever that years popular films/TV shows are.

As a parent the rules are fairly simple when picking a name. Think long and hard about what embarrassing nicknames your kids name can get made into before choosing one , and if you want to go for an unusual spelling think about how willing you are to put up with years of misspelled birthday cards , cake decorations name badges etc .... Bonus points if you can avoid naming them after a character in whatever that years popular films/TV shows are.

See that's what we didn't do and now our daughter has the initials 'BJ'.

A full lifetime of "Aye its Claire but its spelt...."

Totally pointless, made up shite. At least if you pick a name with odd spelling, pick one thats an actual name rather than just totally mispelling a fairly common name. Weans names are a fucking disgrace these days.

My workmate's new grandson is called Khol. Pronounced the same as Cole but with completely wankered spelling.

See that's what we didn't do and now our daughter has the initials 'BJ'.

Hopefully you've chosen a suitably stupid first name to deflect focus away from that , failing that it can be fixed through marriage ! When my mate was expecting his first I remember shooting down their top 4 or 5 suggestions , his Mrs was getting right pissed off at me but I feel I was doing them a service . They then went on to choose a totally different name without consulting me and now they have a boy who when you say his whole name together the middle syllable is c**t!

Okay, fill your boots...

Those weren't the reasons!

(Clearly this applies to me, my dad, me, my boy...)

I think it's about tradition. I like tradition. Knowing where you come from, having a connection with your past.

But I suppose I wouldn't do it if it was a shite name.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Okay, fill your boots...

Americans are bad for this, e.g. Tobias Worscunt IIV, it's like they're pretending to be kings or popes.