Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I had been watching a Neymar diving compilation video earlier that day and decided to provoke someone into swinging for me so I could get criminal compensation. The boy never even connected tbh. 5c99f9374522f_images(40).jpeg.57946631a0ca98c77016c6fc5fe6e428.jpeg

Peter Pawlett would've been jealous of my simulation skillz dat pay da billz. 

Dee Man arriving at court to collect his endz. 

don-magic-juan1.jpg

Addresses with 'Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire', especially being forced to select the latter on online forms.  Aberdeen hasn't been part of any administritive area called Aberdeenshire since 1900 and it was treated as a separate area with most things well before that.

So aye, my PTTGOYN is people saying that Aberdeen is in Aberdeenshire.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Addresses with 'Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire', especially being forced to select the latter on online forms.  Aberdeen hasn't been part of any administritive area called Aberdeenshire since 1900 and it was treated as a separate area with most things well before that.

See also; Dundee and Tayside.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Every eBay package I get is addressed "Alloa, Clackmannan" when these are two separate towns.

One of the courier companies that I use at work insists that the return address needs to be 'Falkirk, Stirling'.

Still better than when FedEx used to insist on transcribing my MIL's scrawl into 'Clackmannanshite', though.

Banks pretending to care that branches are being closed down and blaming it on customers not using them.

This afternoon I walked into to my local branch to enquire about setting up a business account, as I thought that having one around the corner would be quite handy.  What was I told though?  To go home and apply for it all online (and then do everything online in future).   So you're actively encouraging people not to use the branch then. :rolleyes:

Sadly I could see the pain in the girl's eyes, the look of somebody who knows her job is on borrowed time.  Not even a single pensioner in the place.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Banks pretending to care that branches are being closed down and blaming it on customers not using them.

This afternoon I walked into to my local branch to enquire about setting up a business account, as I thought that having one around the corner would be quite handy.  What was I told though?  To go home and apply for it all online (and then do everything online in future).   So you're actively encouraging people not to use the branch then. :rolleyes:

Sadly I could see the pain in the girl's eyes, the look of somebody who knows her job is on borrowed time.  Not even a single pensioner in the place.

Management consultants peddle a line about it being responsive to customers' needs, not just what customers think they want. 

My previous employer in the public sector started the process of closing all its offices that the public could pop into by installing phone booths so that the baffled elderly could phone the helpline. 

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

One of the courier companies that I use at work insists that the return address needs to be 'Falkirk, Stirling'.

Still better than when FedEx used to insist on transcribing my MIL's scrawl into 'Clackmannanshite', though.

Och, I don't know...

It'll be closed before July...

I worked in a bank from 1979 to 1983, just at the time when Cash Machines were being introduced. Bank policy was that we had to push the new cards on every customer, whether they wanted them or not. We weren't rewarded for doing so of course, just punished if we didn't. I remember asking the question "But isn't this going to eliminate our jobs?" and being reassured, "Oh no, people will always want to come into the branch for their transactions."

We opened at 9:30, closed at 4:00, were packed out every lunchtime and shut on the weekends. But of course, people will always want to come into the branch to get money rather than using the hole-in-the-wall at a time convenient to them. The branch closed 3 years after I left, "To streamline customer service."

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I worked in a bank from 1979 to 1983, just at the time when Cash Machines were being introduced

I remember telling my mate his "cashline" thing would never catch on. Who wants to stand in the street, taking cash out.

I stand by that opinion. All this pay by card, phone  etc is a passing fad.

Aberdeen was part of Aberdeenshire until 1974, when Grampian Region came into play.

Grampian disappeared in 1995.

Incidentally pre-1974, everything in the current city south of the Dee including Torry and Kincorth was in Kincardineshire.

Falkirk and Stirling are shite names for councils given the likes of Bo’ness and Killin respectively are in both, but nothing really to do with them.

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember telling my mate his "cashline" thing would never catch on. Who wants to stand in the street, taking cash out.

I have a mate who loves to remind me that I said a similar thing about narrow legged jeans. Just a fad. Who would choose to wear them instead of flares?

28 minutes ago, Crroma said:

I am continually grateful that at the middling age of 33 I have never needed to go inside a bank other than for work related purposes.

There's absolutely no way you are thirty three years old. 

Aberdeen was part of Aberdeenshire until 1974, when Grampian Region came into play.

Grampian disappeared in 1995.

Incidentally pre-1974, everything in the current city south of the Dee including Torry and Kincorth was in Kincardineshire.

Wikipedia:

Between 1890 and 1975, Aberdeenshire was one of the administrative counties of Scotland, governed by a county council.

In 1900, the county town of Aberdeen became a county of a city and was thus removed from the administrative county.

In 1975 the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 reorganised local administration in Scotland into a two-tier system of regions and districts. The administrative counties of Aberdeenshire, the City of Aberdeen, Banffshire, Kincardineshire and most of Morayshire were merged to form Grampian Region

My other half's folks in Moray never use a cashline. For all I know, they may never have. They always go into the branch and withdraw cash at the start of the week for budgeting purposes.

However... I've just asked my other half about this and discovered that she never knew how to use an ATM until she moved to Aberdeen for uni. FFS :lol:

Anyway, a PTTGOYN out of this: ATMs that put the button for £50 half a cm away from the button for £500. Not hit the wrong one yet, but been pretty close a few times. Imagine only wanting fifty.