Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Many years ago there was an advert for electric razors where all the actors had cubical heads, the point being that normal people don't have faces with flat surfaces so they need a razor that can easily handle curves.

The shit hit the fan when they showed it during a documentary about Battle of Britain pilots who had had experimental reconstructive surgery for facial burns. Ad was dropped overnight.

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Dropped Scott off at the train station, and then immediately had to pick him back up again. Trains to Edinburgh all cancelled. 

Apparently someone was hit by a train between Linlithgow and Haymarket.

Happens all too often. Tragically.

A pop up ad for Deadpool and Wolverine is getting on my nerves. 

I haven't seen a single Deadpool film and I've only seen Wolverine in the first X Men movie.  In fact the last film I saw was Indiana Jones and the Piles of Density (or something like that)

16 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I can think of three trains I've been waiting for that were cancelled due to someone jumping in front of them, and I wonder how often it happens where the announcer is asked not to give that as the reason. I've caught myself thinking "the selfish b*****d!" for a second before realising I'm a real piece of shit  :(

I'm sure there was some chat on here about the help given to drivers after witnessing a suicide. It isn't true that they get early retirement after it happens a certain number of times.

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

A pop up ad for Deadpool and Wolverine is getting on my nerves. 

I haven't seen a single Deadpool film and I've only seen Wolverine in the first X Men movie.  In fact the last film I saw was Indiana Jones and the Piles of Density (or something like that)

The Valentine Dyalls of Destiny, according to another thread.

Anyway. My PTTGOMN is also one for the old kunt's thread.

Youngsters speaking a form of English now that sounds American. The middle class youngsters, mainly. I'm yelling at clouds here, I realise, but walking into FoodStory (a hipster cafe, I'm doing this to myself) to be confronted with aural flack of "I know right?", "dude" and ""that is, like, so cute" has me considering a Falling Down style rampage.

My autocorrect continually changing "is" to "I'd " and "for" to "fir" is also getting on my nipples. If it's already a word, then leave it be.

The coffee here is very good, and free refills, so it's a good day.

20 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

I can think of three trains I've been waiting for that were cancelled due to someone jumping in front of them, and I wonder how often it happens where the announcer is asked not to give that as the reason. I've caught myself thinking "the selfish b*****d!" for a second before realising I'm a real piece of shit  :(

I'm sure there was some chat on here about the help given to drivers after witnessing a suicide. It isn't true that they get early retirement after it happens a certain number of times.

I was once on a platform, Radlett near St Albans, and saw someone stand and walk off platform in front of non stopping express. Too far along for me to do anything after I realised what was happening. By the time the train stopped it was so far beyond the station it was unbelievable. Some poor cow got a coating of what I can only call grey slime.

I have had issues personally in past and if someone is in a place where they feel they have to go I can accept that, if I could would try and help and stop them, but to inflict that on an innocent train driver who is beyond stopping what is happening is incredibly cruel.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Announcing someone has been hit by a train is a good way to diffuse angry passengers tbf. They're likely going to be delayed as a result but it's one of those reasons where 99% of folk will just accept they're going to be late and realise there's worse things happening. Of course there is always that 1% c**t that remain. 

Aye definitely not given early retirement. A colleague had his 4th suicide a couple of years ago and that was enough for him. He was redeployed in another role for a while (before choosing to retire). 

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

I have had issues personally in past and if someone is in a place where they feel they have to go I can accept that, if I could would try and help and stop them, but to inflict that on an innocent train driver who is beyond stopping what is happening is incredibly cruel.

I'm with you on the first part. For the second part my thoughts are if someone is at a point where they think jumping in front of a train is the answer then they're in no place to be worried about other people's welfare, unfortunately.  

4 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I was once on a platform, Radlett near St Albans, and saw someone stand and walk off platform in front of non stopping express. Too far along for me to do anything after I realised what was happening. By the time the train stopped it was so far beyond the station it was unbelievable. Some poor cow got a coating of what I can only call grey slime.

I know they go at a fair lick anyway, but I think I'd assumed people lay down on the track between stations rather than jump out when the train's having to slow down. Probably giving highly distressed people way too much credit for cognitive function there.

Without wanting to give people better ideas, it sounds like an awful way to end things all round. I'd be terrified about receiving a glancing blow and ending up alive but horribly mangled. Don't do it, kids.

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I know they go at a fair lick anyway, but I think I'd assumed people lay down on the track between stations rather than jump out when the train's having to slow down. Probably giving highly distressed people way too much credit for cognitive function there.

Without wanting to give people better ideas, it sounds like an awful way to end things all round. I'd be terrified about receiving a glancing blow and ending up alive but horribly mangled*. Don't do it, kids.

Wee bit graphic/not the nicest subject so I'll pop it in a spoiler so it can be skipped. 

It seems to be all sorts of ways people choose to do it. One guy down our way waited until early morning and placed his head on the line just before the train passed; so dark the driver wasn't 100% sure what he'd hit and only found out for sure when he went back. Another was a woman who just stood waiting between two stations. One guy did it when an express service went through the station (another reason the yellow lines are there) and probably the saddest one down here was an old guy with dementia who made his way onto the tracks. 

There was a lassie sitting over the edge of the platform a couple of months ago and she only moved at the last minute. After going to see her and calming her down I discovered she had intended to jump down but thankfully changed her mind. Won't lie, I was heartbroken for her when she broke down apologising for almost doing it, though it was probably a good sign that she wasn't beyond saving if she was thinking of someone else. 

* One of the driver's told me about how a woman lined her head with the coupler. I think if you're on the track it's going to be fatal.