Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

15 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Give me some examples and I'll think up a hot take.

I think for English people who can't talk properly "eh" historian sounds less clunky than "ah" historian, but if you're Scottish you sound like a twat. I was just wondering if there's any grammatical rules on it.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think for English people who can't talk properly "eh" historian sounds less clunky than "ah" historian, but if you're Scottish you sound like a twat. I was just wondering if there's anything grammatical rules on it.

Good point, hadn't thought of that before. No idea, but I'm going to try a few similar examples and see if anything pops up. At a guess I'd say it's not ever been formally considered though.

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

What they have done is petty, what my reaction wants to be is not,

My closest shop is a Tesco Express, barely bigger than a corner shop. I use it 3 or 4 times and week and know where everything is.

They have moved  nearly everything, The fresh rolls and brad is gone f**k knows where and the crisps are there, they've knackered the booze area, and the wine I drink is gone, sweets are where household stuff was, its just annoying and pathetic and total change for for the sake of it.

I want to firebomb the shop as revenge, but the garage for petrol is miles away.

I am a grumpy old sod.

Our bigger Tesco have decided that splitting aisles is a good idea.  For example, we now have half the biscuits on the same aisle as half the cleaning products, the other half of the biscuits selection is in with half the diluting juice section. 

Result is, I now go to a store where they have kept the same layout for years.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

What's the rule on the pronunciation of "a"? Is "eh" instead of "ah" always an affectation?

It's always bugged me that 'pronounced' becomes 'pronunciation'.  I'm fairly sure at least half of English's native speakers can't say pronunciation correctly.  Stupid language.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think for English people who can't talk properly "eh" historian sounds less clunky than "ah" historian, but if you're Scottish you sound like a twat. I was just wondering if there's any grammatical rules on it.

Norman Watson is eh historian:

dondeh.jpg.23e975afc3f375c79e2981748b2deb24.jpg

4 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Our bigger Tesco have decided that splitting aisles is a good idea.  For example, we now have half the biscuits on the same aisle as half the cleaning products, the other half of the biscuits selection is in with half the diluting juice section. 

slnk26klauj8iop9q8f6.jpg

18 hours ago, Eednud said:

It’s the penultimate day of our winter and they just can’t help themselves.

IMG_0575.jpeg

That's f**k all. Asda, Tesco and B&M have had some Christmas stuff out for at least a fortnight.

5 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Asda have been pulling the same trick too. Used to have a single aisle for chocolate and unhealthy shite, but now they've split it into three rows with other stuff, presumably so that people can't just avoid the "bad" aisle and resist temptation by not seeing it. No doubt they'd be doing the same thing with alcohol if they could get away with it.

27 minutes ago, microdave said:

Saw these by the checkout in Sainsbury's earlier this week. 

20240827_115036.jpg

The consensus last year was that they'd held off a bit with the Christmas shite, so I presume somebody got a rocket for missing out on all the early Christmas spending from eejits.

Mentioned this before, but I worked for a chain who sent out Christmas stock to go on display in the last week in July, and the first shipment disappeared like snaw aff a dike. When the sales figures came in, that week always had the second or third highest sales. People are very strange.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The consensus last year was that they'd held off a bit with the Christmas shite, so I presume somebody got a rocket for missing out on all the early Christmas spending from eejits.

Mentioned this before, but I worked for a chain who sent out Christmas stock to go on display in the last week in July, and the first shipment disappeared like snaw aff a dike. When the sales figures came in, that week always had the second or third highest sales. People are very strange.

Aye, people are weird. They wouldn't think about buying stuff for Christmas this early but as soon as it goes on sale, they'll snap it up thinking they can spread the cost over four months but I'd bet that they'll just eat it fairly soon after buying it. Meanwhile, the supermarkets think there's a demand for it and try selling it a bit earlier each year. Vicious circle. 

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

That f**king Bruce Springsteen song: this season's "putting on a show". Horrific chant.

I'd love to unload a sawnoff shotgun in the general direction of whoever comes up with these chants.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

That f**king Bruce Springsteen song: this season's "putting on a show". Horrific chant.

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

I suspect that makes me a winner.

On 26/08/2024 at 12:05, Central Belt Caley said:

In a museum or anywhere there’s large amounts of information on walls/posters and folk feel the need to stand 5cm away from the wall so no one in the close vicinity can read what they’re reading.

Added into the fact they’re typically the slowest readers in the world, I’ve nearly had multiple heads gone this weekend. 

On a side note, the topography of terror and memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin are both excellent and I would highly recommend. 

Had a chuckle reading this. Purely because when I read the first two paragraphs I was thinking of my trip last month to the Topography of Terror in Berlin :lol: 

They maybe employ some auld codger to do it all it day. Had a guy at one point move in front of me while I was reading as if I wasn't even there. Some folk have absolutely no personal awareness. 

Happened to my wife in Madrid. She was looking in the window of a shop and this old Spanish guy put himself between her wheelchair and the window. She tried "excuse me" with no effect so I stepped in with my best rendition of "puta di madre" learned from "Narcos". It worked. Got a dirty look but he moved.