Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I was in one of those once. Was OK, but not a patch on BMW or Audi.

I think BBC is the modern term, according to etc.

Speaking of which, Belarus are the only country in the Nations League whose fleg isn't displayed by the BBC. As a sad loser, this vexes me.

image.png.e29dc6a91a558786751095a2fae6322d.png

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Speaking of which, Belarus are the only country in the Nations League whose fleg isn't displayed by the BBC. As a sad loser, this vexes me.

Same in other sports, Belarus and Russia flags aren't displayed since invasion of Ukraine. (Obviously Russia are currently banned from competing in UEFA so Belarus is the only example in this tournament).

You will see examples of both in tennis.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

On 07/09/2024 at 09:19, Cyclizine said:

I managed to escape the trip to post-apocalyptic Dunoon this year as the mother-in-law decided she was going to watch the wife and bairn. Sympathies to my father-in-law who had the joy instead.

Lucky you. Pissed soon on the Thursday, luckily didn’t have to go on Friday but Saturday weather wasn’t too bad.

Was the wife competing? I’m thinking of entering Mrs Mullarkey into either the caber tossing or marathon fag smoking next year.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Same in other sports, Belarus and Russia flags aren't displayed since invasion of Ukraine. (Obviously Russia are currently banned from competing in UEFA so Belarus is the only example in this tournament).

Hadn't occurred to me - seems weirdly petty, but I'd be all for it if they decided to refer to Belarus as 'They Who Must Not Be Named' or similar.

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That'll show them.

I always bet on football games that I think will be interesting to end with over 2 goals , over 3 cards over 9 corners and I had some money left in my William hill account for my previous wins at weekend and was attempting to put in on for the Netherlands Germany game. A few mins into the game I checked how it was doing and I’d actually put it on the Hungary game by mistake so spent all of last night hoping it came in for Hungary game and that it didn’t come in for Netherlands Germany but it went entirely against me thanks to a last minute card for Germany and Hungary ending 0-0.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's the French flag. 

Having to chase folk for owed money.* 

Went on a tangent but deleted it. Is there anything more socially uncomfortable than having to remind folk you're owed money, though? I hate having to ask folk for a debt to be paid when you're the one who's done them a favour in the first place! 

* I'm not a drug dealer. Honestly. 

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Went on a tangent but deleted it. Is there anything more socially uncomfortable than having to remind folk you're owed money, though? I hate having to ask folk for a debt to be paid when you're the one who's done them a favour in the first place! 

a cartoon character says " where 's my money man " next to a bloody dog

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've known so many people whose friendships have been ruined by loaning each other money. You have to assume you won't get it back, so twenty quid or something is fine, but if they forget/decide to stiff you for five grand then you're down a big chunk of change, you've lost a friend, and you'll likely spend the rest of your life seething about their cheek.

Usually involves an element of the loanee pretending like their awfulness isn't a big deal too, which makes matters worse. Also very strange how people can decide that, if they've had an argument with someone, that means they don't have to pay back any loans they gave them. Just a whole tin of dreadful behaviour worms.

Been downloading a 2.5GB file all day and the download rate's been sitting at bits per second for most of it. Not MEGAbits, not KILObits, just bits.

Apparently I'm connected to a 1980s bulletin board via a time portal  :angry:

50 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've known so many people whose friendships have been ruined by loaning each other money. You have to assume you won't get it back, so twenty quid or something is fine, but if they forget/decide to stiff you for five grand then you're down a big chunk of change, you've lost a friend, and you'll likely spend the rest of your life seething about their cheek.

I can imagine. I have to say I won't lend money if I don't think I'll see it back though. I've been lucky in that I've always got the money back. I don't even doubt my current owed money won't be reimbursed, it's just the having to prompt folk that pisses me off especially when it's a small amount of money as I think it makes me look miserable* (as bizarre as that sounds). It's the principle of it all really. 

* As I say, I'm not at folk a day after I've lent them it. But if it's long enough that they'll have definitely had at least one more pay since borrowing the money then I think it's fair game to ask (if they haven't paid it back/haven't agreed a date to pay it back by).