The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Why on earth have Australia not enforced the follow on? 
As I posted further up, I thought the only reason to keep batting was to force Pakistan to bat twice, surprised they didn't enforce it as they hardly bowled two sessions.

Could be a couple reasons. With so much time in hand it allows them to rest the bowlers before they go again and also they could be expecting the pitch to worsen as the match progresses.
Surprised as I am at them not enforcing the follow on, I can see the logic of resting the bowlers then declaring around lunch tomorrow. If Pakistan bat 3 times they won't get close to Australia's lead already.

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Could be a couple reasons. With so much time in hand it allows them to rest the bowlers before they go again and also they could be expecting the pitch to worsen as the match progresses.

I just don’t think that stands up here. Pakistan are never going to get close to that total, all they are doing by batting again is increasing the chances of the draw. It’s brainless captaincy. 

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Maybe, but given how the first session went they probably could've had 3 or 4 of them out if they'd followed on and wrapped the match up tomorrow. 

As it is, Pakistan will probably be given a day and a half to see out for a draw. A big ask given they were disposed of easily in the first innings, but certainly not impossible. The game is beyond them and they know it, but the draw can be salvaged. 

Edited by Michael W

9 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Maybe this will be the match where 33 year old Chris Woakes with an overseas average of 54 shows that he's the man to carry the England attack for the next 5 years. 

One of the first names on the team sheet at home, but he should never be taken outside of England. I know absolutely nothing about him, but I’d have given Fisher a shot. 

25 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

One of the first names on the team sheet at home, but he should never be taken outside of England. I know absolutely nothing about him, but I’d have given Fisher a shot. 

I'd asterisk the Woakes thing with New Zealand but otherwise yes, there was far more of an argument for taking Broad on this tour than Woakes. 

Not really seen much from Overton either but if this is about building for the future then agree Fisher should be picked ahead of Woakes and go in with a pretty green attack. 

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'd asterisk the Woakes thing with New Zealand but otherwise yes, there was far more of an argument for taking Broad on this tour than Woakes. 

Not really seen much from Overton either but if this is about building for the future then agree Fisher should be picked ahead of Woakes and go in with a pretty green attack. 

He averages over 50 with the ball in NZ as well (albeit he’s only played 2 tests there). I wouldn’t even take him there. 

Surely Pakistan can't pull this off?
150 for Babar Azam as they reach 277-3, stil need another 229 to win. They certainly aren't showing any signs of trying to chase it, that might change if they can reach the final session with plenty of wickets in hand.

32 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

16 runs from the first 8 balls after tea. 180 to win, Pakistan might just be thinking about going for it. 

RR is over 5 an over (sic), these pitches are usually safe enough to bat on once you're established but 2/3 quick wickets might leave the tail with a tricky 15-20 overs to negotiate - with a new ball potentially for the final 11.

This is turning into a massive embarrassment for Australia. I can't believe they refused to enforce the follow on with a lead of over 400 and bowling Pakistan out for under 150. Not like the bowlers had all knackered themselves or anything like that. 

Terrible, terrible decision. The conditions were clearly favouring the bowling side when Pakistan were all out so why not just keep the heat on?