The Cricket Thread

bewlay

19 minutes ago, btb said:

Just me myself today and a long one for England in the field, similar to Day 3 in Antigua.

Windies 284/4 at Stumps, to put things in perspective Windies were 9 wickets down in Antigua although they were ahead in terms of runs scored. Do England have what it requires to take 16 wickets over the next two days?  

No, they don’t. A good attack would probably struggle on that deck, but this attack is really quite poor. Worst England attack I’ve seen in a long long while. 

23 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

No, they don’t. A good attack would probably struggle on that deck, but this attack is really quite poor. Worst England attack I’ve seen in a long long while. 

Statin' the bleedin' obvious but West Indies tictacs will be to bat long enough to avoid being put back in today, time is as important as runs to them. Looks like the Windies bat down to 10 so I can see England needing to make quick runs in their second Innings to get two and a bit sessions to bowl on a pitch that won't start to help them until well into Day 6.

Rain stops play briefly with West Indies having passed the follow on mark with no more wickets down.

I guess England will be hoping a bit of moisture will get on the pitch and the Windies vice-versa, if the pitch remains batsman friendly it all points towards a draw.

Again remarkably similar to the Antigua Test where England ended Day 4 153 runs ahead (if my arithmetic is correct) against 136 this time round.

Second bite at the cherry for England tomorrow but on a pitch that still looks good for batting and an attack that must be tired after the first Innings - I'm gonna say draw!

Edited by btb

These pitches really aren't helping anyone. They either to be roads to enable scoring at a decent rate or offer something for the bowlers. The two tracks so far have done neither. Having pitches that are removing a result on day 3 effectively aren't doing the game any good.

In Antigua Root waited till the RR was 4 (286 in 71 overs) before he declared, that rose to over 4.5 after the first 20 overs of the West Indies innings - should he be a bit more aggresive this time?

20 overs Drinks - Windies 43-0

243 runs off 51 overs - 4.77 runs per over (maybe just a bit too much).

Off for rain - I reckon that's lunch with England leading by 281. 

England should declare leaving West Indies 2 sessions and overs 65 overs (conditions permitting) to force a draw.

Edited by btb

Surely it’s time for Parkinson in the next test? I’d bring him in for Fisher. Robinson (if fit) for Woakes. 
Whether it's popular or not Robinson is likely the future of the England seam bowling unit at test level. I see Archer is part of the touring party as part of his rehab. Have they given any timescales for his return?

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:
14 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:
Surely it’s time for Parkinson in the next test? I’d bring him in for Fisher. Robinson (if fit) for Woakes. 

Whether it's popular or not Robinson is likely the future of the England seam bowling unit at test level. I see Archer is part of the touring party as part of his rehab. Have they given any timescales for his return?

I’m sure they’d said he was aiming for being fit for the summer. He still lives between Barbados and Hove, so makes sense to have him with the squad when they are on his (winter) doorstep.

I’m not convinced by Archer in tests, though. It feels like he doesn’t have the attention span for it, tbh. 

Pakistan probably happy to get to the close at 90/1 given they eventually did well to get Australia out for under 400
Saw a bit this morning when I came in from work. Classic bit of commentator's curse from Simon Katich, he was talking up Carey and Green for their maiden test 100s when they were both on 60 odds. Carey was out the next ball he faced and Green out for 79 not long after.

Pakistan always seem to do pretty well mopping up the tail, Naseen Shah and Afridi were very good as Australia only added another 38 runs for the last 3 wickets, and Starc and Cummins can usually be relied in to score a few but only managed 13 and 11no respectively.