The Cricket Thread

bewlay

33 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Pakistan def just trying to block out the remaining overs which is smart and a draw would be a good result for them

Exactly why they should've been put into bat. Unlikely they'll manage two and a bit days of that, but a day and a half and you have more of a chance. 

What a disaster for Australia. 

There's no doubt Root is a quality player but I'd be interested in how many of his now 24 test centuries have come in India or Australia?
Just did a quick check. Two. Both in India. He does have one in each of South Africa and New Zealand as well

6 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Just did a quick check. Two. Both in India. He does have one in each of South Africa and New Zealand as well

Yep, he’s famously not got one in Australia. Probably only got one more chance to get one there in 4 years time as well.

He averages a touch over 50 in India across 10 tests. A very decent record there. 

Yep, he’s famously not got one in Australia. Probably only got one more chance to get one there in 4 years time as well.
 He averages a touch over 50 in India across 10 tests. A very decent record there. 
Yeah saw his average there which is mightily impressive. I know there was a lot of talk about his conversion of 50s to 100s a few years back which this would tend to back up but averaging 50 anywhere over 10 tests is impressive. He probably needs one in Australia to be a great player. Look at Kohli, Smith, even Chris Gayle has a test century in every country except India. The point is, great players can do it anywhere, and do. It is the only thing missing from Root's record tho.

Od fashioned Test Cricket the batsmen grinding down the bowlers in the first two sessions and getting their reward in the third as they tire, clearly England wil be looking to score over 500...

I note Australia took Pakistan to two balls with three wickets required before shaking hands - the new normal?

The way Stokes has accelerated the scoring is brilliant to watch and why he's such an exciting cricketer. Hard to say without seeing England bowl but the pitch doesn't look to have much in it. If England want to win this test then you'd be looking to get to 520ish just after tea and have 15 overs or so at the Windies tonight

Looks like the sorta pitch you can chugalong at 2.5 runs/over safely once you get your eye in...

Edit - 184/3 (78 overs) - new ball available in two overs.

Edit2 - 250/3 (101 overs) - A day and a bit in the field for the England bowlers and the new ball seen off, can the West Indies cash in like England did when they were batting?

Edited by btb

Just me myself today and a long one for England in the field, similar to Day 3 in Antigua.

Windies 284/4 at Stumps, to put things in perspective Windies were 9 wickets down in Antigua although they were ahead in terms of runs scored. Do England have what it requires to take 16 wickets over the next two days?