The Cricket Thread

bewlay

20 overs Drinks - Windies 43-0

243 runs off 51 overs - 4.77 runs per over (maybe just a bit too much).

Much as I'd like to see the West Indies win I hope Root doesn't get too much criticism for the decision if it goes pear shaped for England - as I said above it was a brave decision given the pitch & bowling options available.

Reckon Windies will take the light if/when offered leading to a draw.

Wicket Maiden from Stokes pushes the RR above 5 for the first time - reckon West Indies will shut up shop.

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, btb said:

20 overs Drinks - Windies 43-0

243 runs off 51 overs - 4.77 runs per over (maybe just a bit too much).

Much as I'd like to see the West Indies win I hope Root doesn't get too much criticism for the decision if it goes pear shaped for England - as I said above it was a brave decision given the pitch & bowling options available.

Reckon Windies will take the light if/when offered leading to a draw.

Wicket Maiden from Stokes pushes the RR above 5 for the first time - reckon West Indies will shut up shop.

Light isn’t offered to the batting side, hasn’t been for must be about a decade now.

6 wickets needed with 25.4 overs left. Another one soon and England will really start to believe. 

ETA: a Google confirms that the bad light law changed in 2010. 

Edited by die hard doonhamer

17 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Draw it is. Fair play to England for giving it a go, but ultimately the bowling attack just lacks the quality to get the job done. 

Yeah, do either side have the quality to take 20 wickets on a pitch that isn't helpful?

Non sequitur overall England must be slight favourites due to having three centurions in the first Test.

Edited by btb

9 minutes ago, btb said:

Yeah, do either side have the quality to take 20 wickets on a pitch that isn't helpful?

England must be slight favourites due to having three centurions in the first Test.

It’s another reason that I’m disappointed they went with Leach over Parkinson. Yes, Leach bowled fairly well in this game, and was unlucky not to pick up another wicket here and there, but we know he isn’t guy that’s going to rip through a side. Wrist spinners are more likely to be able to do that.

With Wood carrying an injury, I’d like to see Mahmood in for the next game, as well as Parkinson for Leach. 

51 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Genuinely no idea why Australia are still batting here, it's not as if they are trying to push the score on quickly.

If it was to get Carey a ton, get it right up them.

Whatever the reason, it made no sense at all. They scored 98 in the final session, not as if they were scoring quickly. Obviously the next three days will show if it was the correct decision or not, but I would think most teams would have had Pakistan bat 10 overs minimum today after two long days in the field.

58 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Whatever the reason, it made no sense at all. They scored 98 in the final session, not as if they were scoring quickly. Obviously the next three days will show if it was the correct decision or not, but I would think most teams would have had Pakistan bat 10 overs minimum today after two long days in the field.

Pakistan would probably have had the lead after 10 overs against England TBF

Australia kept batting until they got to 556-9 before declaring. Can only think they plan on bowling Pakistan out twice without having to bat again.

It's looking very likely that could happen as Pakistan are 60-4 with Starc just a whisker away from a hat-trick.