The Cricket Thread

bewlay

It would shock me if it wasn't tbh. I really hope the homophobic rumour turns out to be true as a genuinely entertaining cricketer who batters the shit out of homophobes is nothing less than brilliant.

It would shock me if it wasn't tbh. I really hope the homophobic rumour turns out to be true as a genuinely entertaining cricketer who batters the shit out of homophobes is nothing less than brilliant.

If it’s true, then absolutely no action is needed, and I hope Stokes is treated as a thoroughly decent bloke.

It’d be more abhorrently impartial reporting from the Sun to have omitted it.

I'm in favour of a Test Championship but not this format.

The nine teams, six series, structure seems designed specifically to allow India to avoid playing Pakistan. Get that idea fucked. If they refuse to play Pakistan, they should have a points deduction. If it means they miss out on winning the title, then good.

Also not keen on the four day tests. Weather in the British Isles is shit, the first time England draw a match that they would have won in five days because loads of play was lost to rain, people are going to be pissed off. That doesn't seem a good way to get more people turned on to test cricket.

I'm in favour of a Test Championship but not this format.

The nine teams, six series, structure seems designed specifically to allow India to avoid playing Pakistan. Get that idea fucked. If they refuse to play Pakistan, they should have a points deduction. If it means they miss out on winning the title, then good.

Also not keen on the four day tests. Weather in the British Isles is shit, the first time England draw a match that they would have won in five days because loads of play was lost to rain, people are going to be pissed off. That doesn't seem a good way to get more people turned on to test cricket.

Everyone should refuse to play India until they accept full use of the DRS.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheffield Shield season started yesterday with a round of day/night matches except for South Australia v NSW which started today. All Ashes Test possibles playing in this match with SA all out for 92 with 3 ducks, one being extras. NSW only used 3 bowlers, Starc 2/46, Cummins 2/22 and Copeland 6/24. Nathan Lyon not needed so far.

Is Stokes actually essential to England's chances? Australia are an absolute fucking rabble at the moment

Certainly a very important player for England, I think the energy he brings to the team will be missed as much as his batting and bowling. Maybe going a bit too far to say that England have relied on Bairstow, Stokes and Moeen to score runs, but they've certainly been bailed out by those 3 a few times when the top order has been misfiring.

I worry about England without Stokes. He digs them out of a hole, can take a game away from an opposition and sort of acts like a battering ram against bowlers. When he and Bairstow get going they can form a partnership that can win test matches.

More reports recently that he was protecting a couple of guys from a homophobic attack. Hope he can take part in some form during the tour. Any word on how his injury is?

England dismantling the WACA XI in the first tour match, Cook out for 0 and Root for 9 but everyone else has gone for 50+ with Stoneman hitting 85 and Vince 82. Malan and Ballance retired once they got their 50s to give other players a shot at batting.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Jake Ball sprained his ankle this morning and will take no further part in the latest warm up match. Must make him a doubt for the first test.

Steven Finn has already gone home so the bowling attack is getting weaker.

At last a bit of luck for England.  Ball is absolute dugmeat.

He really reminds me of Alan Mullalley which is a worry.  Better off with Curran.
Without Stokes the tourists are doomed I reckon which is a shame as Aussies aren't great either.

Still surprised England didn't take vice captaincy away as a punishment n let him play.