Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

As @Disco Duck said, there was one up at Falkirk Tryst a long while ago.  @Div sorted us out with shirts.  It was a great day, topped off with my oft told story about a well known poster who went on (i believe) to be chairman of his club standing on the same shite twice.

The 2009 P&B Open. Probably the last time I played golf 🤣

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

6 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Played an absurd round today.

On the plus side I played to my handicap and some of my approach play was ridiculously good. I knocked a six iron to three feet from 160 yards and twice got from tee to green in two shots on par fives.

Unfortunately, one of those par five tee to greens was with a second ball, having dumped one in the water with my first attempt. I lost five balls off the tee and racked up seven penalty shots on my card in total.

I could easily have got myself a nice chunky cut to my handicap today if I had cut out the stupid shit. We go again tomorrow 😂

It's a stupid game. 

The last couple of times I've been out before tonight I've been hitting it nicely off the tee but couldn't find a green to save my life with my approach irons. 

Tonight my driving was really scratchy but naturally I couldn't miss with my irons and ended up with a better score. 

One of these days it will all come together in the same round... 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's a stupid game. 

The last couple of times I've been out before tonight I've been hitting it nicely off the tee but couldn't find a green to save my life with my approach irons. 

Tonight my driving was really scratchy but naturally I couldn't miss with my irons and ended up with a better score. 

One of these days it will all come together in the same round... 

Much the same for me just now. Last week I was playing a scramble at a mate’s works golf day - absolutely flushed the driver and hit several really brilliant chips from around the green. Today I just completely lost it from about holes 5-13 with the driver and lost half the balls in my bag..

Went to Golf It tonight and played the 9 hole course. Awful. No markers for distance, no rakes in bunkers. Also, I understand its to try and bring new people into Golf but it took us 2 hours 20 minutes to play a 2400 yard 9 hole course. 

On top of that we had some local neds shouting 'you're shite' through the fence as we tee'd off at the 3rd. They weren't wrong but I don't want to hear it.

Don't see me going back any time soon.

32 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

On top of that we had some local neds shouting 'you're shite' through the fence as we tee'd off at the 3rd. They weren't wrong but I don't want to hear it.

That's better than what they used to shout when it was just Lethamhill, tbf...

On 17/08/2023 at 14:15, Jamie_Beatson said:

We go again tomorrow 😂

And that I did…

After hitting a 19 over par 90 yesterday, I did indeed cut out most of the stupid shit today and went round in a 12 over par 83. My handicap index going into today was 19.8, it should be down to something like 17 tomorrow. I was only one shot away from an even bigger cut on the exceptional score criteria.

Worst of it is I’m kicking myself because I absolutely should have been below 80. I made a triple bogey six on a par three where my tee shot was pin high five yards right of the green - I managed to putt it through the green and into a bunker, then three putted having got out of it. I also missed a one foot tap in for bogey on the 12th because I just completely lost my concentration. And on the 18th I pulled my drive left then tried a really stupid punch shot through the trees, fucked it and made a 7 when I could and should have just played out sideways and given myself a chance of getting on the green in four.

Fucking love golf today 😂

Aim for this year was to get the handicap below 20. Tbh now I should be aiming for below 15 by the end of the season.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

This weekend was a good chance for Bob to start hos push for the Ryder Cup spot, but he has missed the cut. The only plus is that closest rivals Paul and Meronk weren't playing, and Perez withdrew.

In my very honest opinion Yannick and Adrian should be in ahead of Robert 

Just went and had a look at trying to book a 4ball on the PGA Course at Gleneagles, and I actually laughed out loud when I seen the prices they are wanting. £1200 for a 4ball on any of the 3 courses at Gleneagles? Surely that’s not right. I played the PGA about 6 months after the Ryder Cup was there and I don’t think I paid more than £100 quid. 

They do have a special ‘tee-time offer’, which brings the price down to somewhere around £170pp, but thats in September and only late afternoon tee times are available. I think we will find somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Just went and had a look at trying to book a 4ball on the PGA Course at Gleneagles, and I actually laughed out loud when I seen the prices they are wanting. £1200 for a 4ball on any of the 3 courses at Gleneagles? Surely that’s not right. I played the PGA about 6 months after the Ryder Cup was there and I don’t think I paid more than £100 quid. 

They do have a special ‘tee-time offer’, which brings the price down to somewhere around £170pp, but thats in September and only late afternoon tee times are available. I think we will find somewhere else. 

I've noticed a lot of the 'top' courses have went ludicrously high with their pricing this year. 

I suspect that with this being the first full year we've had with no covid threat there's a lot more golf tourism and they're bumping the prices up as Americans will pay anything. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I played it a couple of months ago, it was £100 a head so no idea why the price is like that now. Wasn’t near worth £100 to be honest, bit of a garbage course and condition wasn’t good. Kings and Queens both significantly better layouts.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I played it a couple of months ago, it was £100 a head so no idea why the price is like that now. Wasn’t near worth £100 to be honest, bit of a garbage course and condition wasn’t good. Kings and Queens both significantly better layouts.

I actually quite liked the PGA when I played it, and it was my suggestion to go there but never for £300. As the poster above you said golf courses seem to have really hiked the green fees and it’s very noticeable at some of these more ‘prestigious’ courses. Saying that though, I booked a round at Irvine Bogside through GolfNow last week for £30, and just out of interest went and looked to see what the regular green fee was and they were looking for £90 :lol: