Quick Question Thread

I've had expensive Japanese knives and cheapo stuff out of TK Maxx. My favourite is just a standard Sabatier chef's knife, mainly because it's the easiest one to keep sharp. Maybe £40.

Sabatier's a bit of a funny one because there's a bunch of different companies selling under the name so look for one that was made in Thiers in France.
Ordered.

Carbon steel. 45 quid sabatier.

It's fucking weird but I'm really excited by this.

32 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

How come? Just on price?

I have a set of global, and they are absolutely brilliant.

I used them when I was a chef, feel the grip is pretty poor and the guard is really bad. 

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm going to invest in a new kitchen knife. Medium size, like a utility knife or a small 'chefs' knife.

Not too expensive but are there brands i should go for, or even avoid. How much gets me a good quality all purpose quality knife?

Had one of these. A surgeon could have operated with it. Scary sharp it was until a son in law tried to cut a coconut with it!

Japanese Kitchen Knife - Shirogami Hocho - Usuba Vegetable - 165mm

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+japanese-tools-knives-japanese-knives-japanese-kitchen-knives-shirogami-range-japanese-kitchen-knife-shirogami-hocho-usuba-vegetable-165mm-rutlands+jp2014?utm_campaign=Googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase&geoip=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvaGsusHe5wIVihnTCh29MwUEEAQYIyABEgLnnfD_BwE

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

I used them when I was a chef, feel the grip is pretty poor and the guard is really bad. 

I’ve got a global chefs knife. Sharp as f**k but I agree the grip is not the best. Gives me a bit of pain on the ball of the thumb. 

25 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I’ve got a global chefs knife. Sharp as f**k but I agree the grip is not the best. Gives me a bit of pain on the ball of the thumb. 

They were murder on the 14 hours shifts they give me the fear

13 hours ago, Dee Man said:

16 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

No one is saying melting icebergs would lead to a sea level rise (well... not directly) they are saying melting ice caps will.

Weird you asked a question and literally posted the link that answers your question whilst only partially quoting my reply.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Weird you asked a question and literally posted the link that answers your question whilst only partially quoting my reply.

What's weird about it? The weird thing was I was specifically asking about icebergs melting as I had heard it mentioned before and you kept ignoring that part of my question. 

I hadn't bothered Googling it before as I thought it might open up a mildly interesting point but apparently not.

Iv had the same set of global knives I got as a gift for nearly 14 years now. Still like fucking razors. I dread having to shell out to replace them as I know they are expensive. That's probably the difference. Some cheaper ones can start off just as sharp but you arent getting that long out of them.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

That’s quite funny from the Celtic supporters, good of them not to arrange a vigil for once. 

Though presumably it's not a new experience for them to conceal their faces when appearing on public media.

To stay true to the Jags stereotype I should mention that I go to Chust in Uzbekistan to get my knives and buy directly from the blacksmith at his forge. Chust has been a centre of knife-making for 2500 years.

You can pick up a Damascus steel kitchen knife for £20 or a standard one for about a fiver.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

To stay true to the Jags stereotype I should mention that I go to Chust in Uzbekistan to get my knives and buy directly from the blacksmith at his forge. Chust has been a centre of knife-making for 2500 years.

You can pick up a Damascus steel kitchen knife for £20 or a standard one for about a fiver.

Craig Murray went to Uzbekistan and came back with a total wid. You go and come back with a kitchen knife...

16 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Any trouble getting them on the plane?

P.S. Probably cheap Chinese knock offs..

https://www.rferl.org/a/uzbekistan-knives-skullcaps-china-cheap-imitations/27350814.html

Edited by welshbairn