Quick Question Thread

10 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

My electric cooker has broken and my missus ordered a new one which is getting delivered tomorrow. She's arranged a pick-up of the old one but just realised she picked self-install by accident. It's pretty much a like for like cooker. Is it fairly easy to disconnect and connect up the new one? Any advice?

Make sure you have the old one disconnected and outside ready for collection. Delivery places like Currys etc won’t come into your home at the moment. A few espressos then brute force should get it out.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m astounded at the number of adults who don’t seem to be willing/able to tackle a simple wiring job.  This isn’t a go at @Speroni*1, I have two adult sons exactly the same.

Maybe it’s a generational thing.

There's a difference between the Dutch courage of a mad old roofer with sunstroke and the genuine ability to wire something properly. 

18 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

There's a difference between the Dutch courage of a mad old roofer with sunstroke and the genuine ability to wire something properly. 

I’ve wired lots of electrical devices over the years, it’s not a problem if you take care.  Knowing when something is beyond your capability is important though.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve wired lots of electrical devices over the years, it’s not a problem if you take care.  Knowing when something is beyond your capability is important though.

Ovens and showers can be a danger though if folk don't pay attention to the rating of wire they need. 

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I dont know why this stuff isn't taught in schools. I have come on leaps and bounds in recent years with the DIY thanks to youtube videos but all I got in tech class was how to build a model wooden plane and a wee box. The box was useful for keeping hash in but I was in my 30s before I would even use a drill.

Any craft/woodwork classes I had at school were an utter waste of time. The most complicated thing we ever did was making a wee model house out of balsa wood and wood glue. All sorts of heavy-duty equipment for the old days of proper trade classes were left sitting about idle.

Having said that, the idea of the kids I went to school with let loose on circular saws and angle grinders isn’t terribly appealing.

When ambulances and A&E departments are filled to the brim with eager young P&B posters who have frazzled themselves thanks to the Jim Jones of P&B, @Granny Danger, Nicola Sturgeon will be regret not having used the slogan "Stay Home. Stay Safe. Don't wire up your new oven after sinking a crate of Stella and being goaded by someone on P&B".

14 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

My electric cooker has broken and my missus ordered a new one which is getting delivered tomorrow. She's arranged a pick-up of the old one but just realised she picked self-install by accident. It's pretty much a like for like cooker. Is it fairly easy to disconnect and connect up the new one? Any advice?

13 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Turn off the power, preferably at the distribution/fuse board.

12 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, it won't be a problem if you have isolated it. 

11 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

It’s three wires, ensure supply switched off at breaker, or if it’s daylight & only for a short time, switch off at the input to the mains for added safety, then connect the wires in the same colour system as your old one. Piece of piss.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Make sure you have the old one disconnected and outside ready for collection. Delivery places like Currys etc won’t come into your home at the moment. A few espressos then brute force should get it out.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m astounded at the number of adults who don’t seem to be willing/able to tackle a simple wiring job.  This isn’t a go at @Speroni*1, I have two adult sons exactly the same.

Maybe it’s a generational thing.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Ovens and showers can be a danger though if folk don't pay attention to the rating of wire they need. 

56 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I dont know why this stuff isn't taught in schools. I have come on leaps and bounds in recent years with the DIY thanks to youtube videos but all I got in tech class was how to build a model wooden plane and a wee box. The box was useful for keeping hash in but I was in my 30s before I would even use a drill.

Job done lads*. 8)

*I may or may not have been pushed out the way and had the job completed by the missus after she Youtube'd it. :(

41 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

What was it they always said about Dundee women again? 

Wrong time to mention that my missus is from Airdrie, parents both from Falkirk and has been living up in Arbroath for near 10 year then, aye?

Some quatenary that.

Edited by Speroni*1

14 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Wrong time to mention that my missus is from Airdrie, parents both from Falkirk and has been living up in Arbroath for near 10 year then, aye?

Some quatenary that.

That’s a fine pedigree. 

Most new cookers will use either an Allen or torx head now, but aye just isolate it, should be a 5 minute job depending if there's a decent length of cable and your not trying to squeeze in the back of it.

Pretty easy mate, just make sure you isolate it at the fuse board. Have you got a screwdriver set?