Quick Question Thread

This is random and weird I know, but does anyone else ever find that if you stare the floor long enough that it seems to 'wave' about a little bit, kind of like the surface of water when it's moving slightly???

Something to try next time you're sitting on the bog.

Anyone know if Glasgow City Council provide any sorts of grants for having double glazing installed?

I own my flat and don't receive any kind of benefits, can't find anything on the website so I'm guessing the answer is no. When its as cold as it is now it takes forever to heat the place up (tenement with high ceilings) and despite everything else in the flat being new its still got shitty single glazing which is pretty drafty.

I also can't find any rough estimates online without filling in all kinds of personal detail forms which I don't want to do, anyone give me a ballpark figure for getting double glazing installed? It's the typical tall tenement windows, a big bay one consiting of 3 seperate windows and 3 other single ones.

Anyone know if Glasgow City Council provide any sorts of grants for having double glazing installed?

I own my flat and don't receive any kind of benefits, can't find anything on the website so I'm guessing the answer is no. When its as cold as it is now it takes forever to heat the place up (tenement with high ceilings) and despite everything else in the flat being new its still got shitty single glazing which is pretty drafty.

I also can't find any rough estimates online without filling in all kinds of personal detail forms which I don't want to do, anyone give me a ballpark figure for getting double glazing installed? It's the typical tall tenement windows, a big bay one consiting of 3 seperate windows and 3 other single ones.

DIY store, price up some plywood, sorted!

Got my car back from the garage and mechanic says it's all fine apart from he noticed that 'the car was idling'.

Being a male I just nodded my head.

What the feck does 'idling' mean?

When you are at traffic lights, or in a drive-through, and you don't turn the engine off while you wait. That's what is known as idling.

It could be that he noticed your car is inefficient when waiting, using more petrol than it should, and was trying to advise you to switch it off and on to save fuel?

Buy a paper/magazine and sit in a pub. wink.gif

Kelvingrove Art Galleries

Cheers. Are the pubs open at half-ten?

Is is paraSETamol, or paraCEETamol?

I always say CEET.

Along similar lines, how do folk here pronounce 'project' or 'product'?

Pro as in 'semi-pro' or pro as in 'prod'? I'm the latter of the two and I think the first one's just weird. Is the semi-pro one more of a Weegie thing?

Edited by Hedgecutter

Cheers. Are the pubs open at half-ten?

I always say CEET.

Along similar lines, how do folk here pronounce 'project' or 'product'?

Pro as in 'semi-pro' or pro as in 'prod'? I'm the latter of the two and I think the first one's just weird. Is the semi-pro one more of a Weegie thing?

The first one's Yank and Yank wannabe.

What is the correct way to pronounce paracetamol?

Is is paraSETamol, or paraCEETamol?

Is one the recognised American/English/Scottish version?

Thanks.

It's a contraction of the chemical name "para-acetyl aminophenol"

"Acetylene" is ultimately derived from "acetic" which comes from the Latin acetum (Vinegar)

So the former is correct.

It's a contraction of the chemical name "para-acetyl aminophenol"

"Acetylene" is ultimately derived from "acetic" which comes from the Latin acetum (Vinegar)

So the former is correct.

Cheers. That is how I pronounce it but many peeple annoy me (i.e the wife) by saying it the other way.