The New Raith Rovers Thread

Better all round keeper in my view.

I love Mcgurn and he is a fantastic shot stopper and has pulled off some unbelievable saves - but Cuthbert has been very very solid, had some great saves and also has much better use and distribution of the ball.

Nah. Cuthbert has had a very solid season and has been a completely different player to the buffoon we saw last year. I see what you're saying in that he's more of an 'all-round' keeper but ultimately if you're being faced with ten shots on target against you in a game, who do you want to try and save them?

McGurn single handedly kept us in the league in 2010. But because his kicking isn't great you'd prefer Cuthbert? No danger.

I genuinely doubt I'll ever see a more influential goalie at Stark's Park.

Mcgurn in his prime then I cant argue with you, but im not talking about Mcgurn in his prime.

We also had a totally different dynamic back then.  We have been fantastically organised at the back this season, and I believe some of that credit should go to the keeper.

Its not just his kicking being better. Our style of play doesent suit holding the ball for 10 seconds then booting it up field.  Cuthbert uses his full backs much much more, which lets us build play from the back more often than not - and when we are playing with a lot more width, thats important.

You will never ever see a better shot stopper at Starks Park than Mcgurn, cant doubt that.  But i think Cuthbert contributes more to our all round play. 

Anyway, the manager should be credited for making an absolutely massive call and sticking by it.

Edited by CALDERON

I'd still go with McGurn simply down to some of the most ridiculous reflexes you'll see. Saves which normal keepers made at wonder save level were common place. McGurn was making saves at what you'd expect to see at a top level. You'll watch clips of save of the season and think "I've seen better".

Cuthbert has been fantastic though and has helped us at various times. I'd be sorely disappointed if he left. Agree with Calderon on distribution.

McGurn's triple save against Ayr United has to be one of the most amazing moments in recent times! :lol: absolutely crazy how he managed to prevent a goal in that instance.

I like Cuthbert though, might even give him my vote for player of the year as well.

Shout out to the one against East Fife in the new year game where it was offside but he saved it through Bobby Linn's legs.

My favourite save of all time, no way he should have been able too do that, offside or not it was utterly ridiculous.

The triple McGurn save against the Pars at EEP when we had the  ex Dundee United Argentinian playing for us.

Can't remember his name but he scored a cracker of a goal to make it 2-2? Were they not up 2-0 at one stage ?

Edited by Wee Sandy

The triple McGurn save against the Pars at EEP when we had the ex Dundee United Argentinian playing for us.

Can't remember his name but he scored a cracker of a goal to make it 2-2? Were they not up 2-0 at one stage ?

Casalinuovo, the game he scored at EEP was a 2-0 win for us Murray scored a peach of a volley in the same game.

The triple McGurn save against the Pars at EEP when we had the ex Dundee United Argentinian playing for us.

Can't remember his name but he scored a cracker of a goal to make it 2-2? Were they not up 2-0 at one stage ?

Damien Casalinuovo. The epitome of a cult hero.

Scored in a 2-0 win at East end where we cruised to victory over the Pars. Murray scored a 30 yarder that day too.

The 2-2 draw was against Ayr. Down to 10 men, and robbed of a penalty he scored a belter of a volley.

Think he retired after leaving us and became an accountant in Buenos Aires.

The McGurn save at one end of EEP and then the Casa finish at the other is one of my favourite ever footballing moments. It had everything.

On an altogether different note, I think we need to address the negativity coming out Stark's Park, particularly from Eric Drysdale. I'm not saying he hasn't got a point, but if you imagine a director of a blockbuster hit started moaning to the press that not enough people were seeing his film, and that if more people didn't buy tickets, his next film wouldn't be very good, well... it doesn't make you want to see the film, does it?

You start complaining that nobody's turning up, and the first thing people think is that there's probably a reason for it.

The McGurn save at one end of EEP and then the Casa finish at the other is one of my favourite ever footballing moments. It had everything.

On an altogether different note, I think we need to address the negativity coming out Stark's Park, particularly from Eric Drysdale. I'm not saying he hasn't got a point, but if you imagine a director of a blockbuster hit started moaning to the press that not enough people were seeing his film, and that if more people didn't buy tickets, his next film wouldn't be very good, well... it doesn't make you want to see the film, does it?

You start complaining that nobody's turning up, and the first thing people think is that there's probably a reason for it.

Well, as Director and CEO of the current Raith Rovers blockbuster currently on location at San Starko dealing with dozens of ticket enquiries almost entirely from, shall we say, west of West Fife, can I ask you how you would wish to address my perceived negativity (even though you accept I have a point!)?

Would you prefer if I lied to the support and told them we will be able to comfortably maintain or improve our squad whether our fans turn up or not, and whether we can afford to do so or not?

There are lots of good news stories coming out of Stark's Park this season. We have done well to attract additional sponsorship to close the gap created by continuing low attendances. We have a strong management team and a very good squad of players getting good results, but are still not being supported in numbers by the local community (as you will see by the occupancy of the South Stand on Saturday).

I have written and posted the vast majority of the good news stories published on our various media channels and then I come on here and see you single me out for criticism because I tell it as it is. Gies a brek, and allow my fellow directors and me and, in particular, our hard working staff to continue to keep the club on the straight and narrow with the help of our loyal fanbase and sponsors.

And if you don't like being told the truth, don't read what I say on here or in the papers  :angry:

Don't remember a triple save against us.

His best save was from Gary Mason, we won the game with a reasonably late David Graham goal, the Gary Mason save was ridiculous.