The New Raith Rovers Thread

Herein lies the problem - Lennon and Duffy would both be highly uninspiring;  they're managers who have not really achieved anything noteworthy (like Smith) and are unlikely to. It's where we are in terms of stature at the moment however that means we will doubtlessly end up with the likes of them. 

Baird to Forfar is an utterly fantastic signing for them. I can't see him at all in management given his propensity to strop, but as a player an excellent capture for them. 

I've heard a rumour that Vaughan is off to Ayr if we don't go up. Might not be true but it's inevitable we're going to lose any lingering decent players we still have come 5pm on Saturday.

Highly doubt that

Can’t see us paying a fee for any players.

Herein lies the problem - Lennon and Duffy would both be highly uninspiring;  they're managers who have not really achieved anything noteworthy (like Smith) and are unlikely to. It's where we are in terms of stature at the moment however that means we will doubtlessly end up with the likes of them. 
Baird to Forfar is an utterly fantastic signing for them. I can't see him at all in management given his propensity to strop, but as a player an excellent capture for them. 

Lennons achievements at St Mirren haven't been matched (yet). You can almost pinpoint St Mirrens plummet to the moment they didn't renew Lennons contract. His achievements at Clyde this season have been fairly notable as well. I'm not canvassing for Duffy here but his achievements at Morton haven't been terrible at all.

You're spot on though, the position we're in at the moment, we've got to be realistic over who we can attract to us.

Of course this could be completely irrelevant if Smith manages to guide us to a famous playoff comeback and promotion... Then he's the man to lead us into the championship! Yay!!!

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Herein lies the problem - Lennon and Duffy would both be highly uninspiring;  they're managers who have not really achieved anything noteworthy (like Smith)

Would I be right in saying Lennon led St Mirren to their highest Premier League finish (8th) and won the League Cup? Sounds like an achievement.

First out the door at 5pm on Saturday should be Barry Smith and Alan Young. I’m in the bring McKinnon back camp. I couldn’t care less how he left the club he was an excellent manager for us and he knows this league well.

In terms of the squad, I struggle to think of a time when we have had a more mentally fragile group of players. Serious lack of bottle and after failing under 3 managers now, they need to take a large chunk of responsibility.

The only players I’d keep would be:

Brian (Young, bit of potential and should be fine back up to an experience first choice)

Davo (Not getting any younger but had a good season and deserves another year)

Bene (Been poor since returning from injury but it’s difficult to return from a broken leg midseason. A full pre season under his belt will hopefully see him return to his best)

Murray (Solid at left back and pretty versatile, solid if unspectacular and probably deserves another year)

Robertson (Player/Coach, dodgy injury record but good player on his day)

Vaughan (If nobody comes in for him. Not been at his best recently but he’s single handedly carried our attacking threat at times this season. Teams have tended to single him out knowing that stops us. With better attackers taking the workload off him he’d have another good season)

Furtado (He looked a real player when he first joined but has featured less and less. Think there’s a good player there, would keep for another year)

Would also keep Watson, McKay, Berry and Court with them hopefully featuring a bit more. Thought it could have been a big season for Court in particular after the end of last season but it’s disappointing how limited his opportunities have been.

13 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

Highly doubt that

Can’t see us paying a fee for any players.

Depends if he claims he’s always been an Ayr United fan. You’ll get him for free in that case.

We have no idea what's written into Vaughan's contract, for all we know there's a clause saying if we fail to go up he can leave and we 'won't stand in his way'. If Vaughan had any sense and wanted/wants to further his career he wouldn't take the risk of possibly finding himself signed into another season in League 1.

16 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

First out the door at 5pm on Saturday should be Barry Smith and Alan Young. I’m in the bring McKinnon back camp. I couldn’t care less how he left the club he was an excellent manager for us and he knows this league well.

In terms of the squad, I struggle to think of a time when we have had a more mentally fragile group of players. Serious lack of bottle and after failing under 3 managers now, they need to take a large chunk of responsibility.

The only players I’d keep would be:

Brian (Young, bit of potential and should be fine back up to an experience first choice)

Davo (Not getting any younger but had a good season and deserves another year)

Bene (Been poor since returning from injury but it’s difficult to return from a broken leg midseason. A full pre season under his belt will hopefully see him return to his best)

Murray (Solid at left back and pretty versatile, solid if unspectacular and probably deserves another year)

Robertson (Player/Coach, dodgy injury record but good player on his day)

Vaughan (If nobody comes in for him. Not been at his best recently but he’s single handedly carried our attacking threat at times this season. Teams have tended to single him out knowing that stops us. With better attackers taking the workload off him he’d have another good season)

Furtado (He looked a real player when he first joined but has featured less and less. Think there’s a good player there, would keep for another year)

Would also keep Watson, McKay, Berry and Court with them hopefully featuring a bit more. Thought it could have been a big season for Court in particular after the end of last season but it’s disappointing how limited his opportunities have been.

Can’t argue with much of that. There would have been a time we’d have no chance of keeping Bene after staying down but like everyone else he looks a shadow of the player he was. Hopefully potential scouts were watching Vaughan last night as then we’d have no bother hanging on to him 

27 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Would I be right in saying Lennon led St Mirren to their highest Premier League finish (8th) and won the League Cup? Sounds like an achievement.

I genuinely thought that was someone else. Yes he did :wacko:

I have to revise my association of failure with him as a manager to a tad uninspiring.