The New Raith Rovers Thread

The bottom line is Smith is a shit manager. The whole of last season proved that. The League Cup effort this season proved that. We finished behind Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers remember. He also has the personality of a dead fish.  A mad 5 minutes against Airdrie and a home win against a poor Forfar team doesn’t change any of that. 
The club is fucked financially, partly down to Barry’s abject failure to get us out of this league. If he didn’t realise this and walked off in the huff about not getting non-existent money for signings then he’s an idiot. I suspect he’s just got a more secure gig than Raith Rovers lined up.  

The whole of last season does not prove he was or is a shit manager. His failings in the League Cup weren't great but his ambition as Raith manager had nothing to do with the League Cup, purely the League. Admittedly, he's shot himself in the foot with the cups as had he been a bit more successful then we'd have likely had more finances to afford more players.

His managerial statistics for us based on League One competitions alone shows that we were unbeaten for around 80-85% of the games we played under Smith. Over 50% win record and lost 2 games at home. Granted, when it counted, he didn't get us the promotion. But there's more factors to that than just the fact he was a 'poor manager'.

Regarding his personality, Hughes is the life and soul of the party and he was great for us. John McGlynn on the other hand seems like a great laugh... Personality counts for f**k all. I'd rather have a guy getting results than cracking the jokes.

45 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

was he not at Starks commenting on the Raith game?

Nope... I can’t remember which one he was at but it wasn’t ours.

I wouldn’t be too keen on Houston. He left United saying he had done all he could. Jackie Macnamara came in and brought through Gauld, Souttar, Armstrong, Robertson etc. Then at Falkirk he was given big budgets but failed to get them promoted. 

Mcglynn or Duffy for me! 

2 hours ago, GhostZapper said:

Sims is not short of a few quid - if he wanted to put his hand in his pocket for the right man, he would.

Between the pitch and whatever loss was racked up last season, Sim's pockets are likely already significantly  shallower than they once were. It's unreasonable to expect that he'll keep doing it. 

The current situation was always going to happen if we didn't get promoted. I'm surprised we stayed full time and the evidence shows that it's barely affordable. 

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Could Barry Robson be a shout? I know he's coaching at Aberdeen, and was offered the job before but said it was too soon, but it's a year or two down the line now and he's said he might be a bit more ready for management.

Not the worst shout I've heard. Certainly more of an option for me over Stubbs, Hartley etc....

It's surprising that he has left, I'm not overly bothered however it has left us in a bit of a pickle as I can't imagine the replacement will be any better given that the people we'll have to choose from will either have been sacked or without a club for a substantial period of time.

I can't believe folk are even suggesting Goodwin. Why would he leave Alloa where there is no pressure for a team in the league below and also when St. Mirren are interested in him? I get the pipe dream but silliness of the highest order. Same with Neilson. Would love to see how many tears he laughs if we declared out interest.

Hartley did a great job at Alloa, however stumbled when it came to the Championship, then there's Dundee and Falkirk which probably isn't worth mentioning. He's a young manager and he would be a risk but he's probably the best pick out of the shortlist of the people who would actually take the job and are most realistic. Jim Duffy would be a backwards step I think but have no doubt he'd manage to get us out of this league. He has a slightly more 'on the deck' approach than Smith but there's no future getting him as manager. McGlynn can probably be put in the same bracket as Duffy but think he would actually be a worse choice than Duffy. If McGlynn gets us back up I think we would struggle in the Championship. He's also been a scout for years and don't think it would be sensible to bring him back. McGurn is an absolutely ridiculous notion. Lennon would be OK but his career has absolutely stagnated. Not sure he would be the best choice. Don't get me started on Stubbs. He's absolutely clueless. I know folk are going to chime in with the whole 'He won the Scottish cup' but he is useless.

Ellis is my top pick. I like the idea of Ellis back but that would mean compensation and also he'll probably have it pretty kushty at United but might want to progress further and get a shot at management. He did very well in the games that he took over the squad after McKinnon's departure at United and has a great bond with the club so would obviously want to see them do well but there's obviously an 'in the know' about the state of the club if Easton rejected it previously. Doubt he would accept.

Either way, the club is not an enticing offer as it appears we are in dire straights. Whoever comes in has a job on there hand but may relish the challenge of trying to get us back to where we were.

Can’t disagree with any of that but surely if you are an ambitious manager who believes in yourself you wouldn’t see the negatives?

Someone who believes in themselves will surely think the only full time team in the league with the biggest crowds in the league and a good quality (if small) squad who are currently sitting top of the league would be a good place to be?

5 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Can’t disagree with any of that but surely if you are an ambitious manager who believes in yourself you wouldn’t see the negatives?

Someone who believes in themselves will surely think the only full time team in the league with the biggest crowds in the league and a good quality (if small) squad who are currently sitting top of the league would be a good place to be?

This.

Barry was fine when plan A went to plan but he had no clue how to adapt when this weren't going right or injuries took over.  A confident manager will have a plan to changes things based on the situation and be able to utilise the young players better to get them experience.

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

For my own peace of mind, can you please confirm this was a bit of patter? I'm not believing you thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of Hopkin even answering the phone from Raith Rovers.

We won't be phoning him, he'll be phoning us. We're that big a gig you know!!!

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

For my own peace of mind, can you please confirm this was a bit of patter? I'm not believing you thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of Hopkin even answering the phone from Raith Rovers.

He got the Bradford job yesterday anyway! was always a non starter, having turned down clubs much bigger than us.!