The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 hours ago, renton said:

Juan Guerrero played his part that year, playing so poorly he forced a shape change that was instrumental in pushing us towards the title.

I will never forget the shouts from an old boy in our row that day. 

"Get the Spanish boy on Mcglynn" 

5 mins later

"Get the Spanish boy off, he's pish" 

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s what makes me wonder about more playing time and experience. I know he’s not a young player, and most have written off his ability to learn better positional play, but he has improved and developed quite a bit. Certainly I would expect a League One or Two club to give him a go, Kelty would seem a likely choice if they win the series, if not someone like East Fife or (oh, heavens) Falkirk offering a one year deal.

Sadly from other social media posts, it looks as if he’s off back to France with his family, whether that be for the summer or permanently who knows but I can’t imagine having gone through the last year without being able to see them that he’ll be back. 

As other have said, fitting that things have effectively come full circle with a brilliant performance against Dundee. Genuinely hope he makes it wherever he ends up next. 

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

Not sold on that view, as, of the three, I would rate Spencer the least important. He’s more hit or miss than Armstrong and certainly less important than Musonda would be. When he’s on, he’s very good, but when he’s off, he’s infuriating.

Would have to wholeheartedly disagree with this, unfortunately. For me, after he established himself back in the side I think Spencer has performed very consistently, and some of his ‘on’ performances have been tremendous. 

I think we can, and will, sign a better and more rounded player than Brad Spencer for that position. Yes, his vision and passing on the ball was quite good, but not good enough to make up for his lack of physicality. I don’t think he will be offered a new deal, but I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if he did. If we want to have a go at the league next year I think he’s the sort of player you need to upgrade.

Didn't work out for Nando in the end, and parting ways is probably best for all.  However, incredibly nice guy - and really chuffed that he went out on a high on Saturday with such a good performance.

I'd like to keep Spencer, but I won't be devastated if he leaves. 

I have this weird feeling that Mcglynn is going to pull a real rabbit out the hat in the close season, I'll probably be completely wrong though :lol:

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think we can, and will, sign a better and more rounded player than Brad Spencer for that position. Yes, his vision and passing on the ball was quite good, but not good enough to make up for his lack of physicality. I don’t think he will be offered a new deal, but I wouldn’t be overly disappointed if he did. If we want to have a go at the league next year I think he’s the sort of player you need to upgrade.

Fair point and I do think that we'll be looking for more imposing midfielders.

Spencer is a valuable asset to have though. He'd hold his own in an improved Rovers squad next season. 

Just listened to Sportsound podcast, and they were chatting about John Mcglynn at the end of the show.  Ian Mccall made a comment about the fact that Rovers budget must have increased, as Thistle are trying to sign players that Rovers are also after, and it's "hard to keep up with them".

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Just listened to Sportsound podcast, and they were chatting about John Mcglynn at the end of the show.  Ian Mccall made a comment about the fact that Rovers budget must have increased, as Thistle are trying to sign players that Rovers are also after, and it's "hard to keep up with them".

I saw Brian Graham had signed a contract extension at Firhill, and I was thinking how he'd have been the perfect "missing piece" in the Rovers side through the back half of this season, once Duku tailed off. 

Never quite looks like he's actually any good or is likely to do anything, but consistently puts the ball in the back of the net. 

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Might be true, but McCall is an absolute slaver, so probably isn’t. 

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Typical McCall.

Who knew that earning a few hundred thousand more than them in prize money might help us be competitive this year.

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Perks of the financial benefits of finishing relatively high in the league I'd guess. Didn't quite catch all of Bill Clark at half time on Saturday but didn't he say there would be investment into the playing budget? (or words to that effect).

26 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Amazing what happens when you're not in the shitey seaside league. 

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Didn't work out for Nando in the end, and parting ways is probably best for all.  However, incredibly nice guy - and really chuffed that he went out on a high on Saturday with such a good performance.

I'd like to keep Spencer, but I won't be devastated if he leaves. 

I have this weird feeling that Mcglynn is going to pull a real rabbit out the hat in the close season, I'll probably be completely wrong though :lol:

The rabbit's name is ........

Regan Hendry!😲

Oh how we all wish and hope. Just for one more year would be quite sufficient.😊

Good luck to big Nando wherever he ends up can’t think of a player who played so few games and wasn’t a stand out that everyone took to so well. He just came across as a really likable guy and every time I saw him he had a huge smile on his face. Delighted he finished on a high against the team he started against on a low. Wasn’t to be for him here at Raith but I think there’s a player in there.

11 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Typical McCall.

Who knew that earning a few hundred thousand more than them in prize money might help us be competitive this year.

And how were we supposed to earn more given we were controversially put into another division? 
we earned as much as we could by winning the division we were papped into