The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Lester Freamon said:

The f**k ?

The Scottish Football Community should be reflecting and identifying ways to help the victim of Goodwillie's heinous behaviour. For example, the compensation that Goodwillie, I believe, failed to pay to his victim.

Also educating young players on their legal and moral responsibilities to make sure, as far as possible, such a heinous act doesnt happen again. 

The current situation with Mason Greenwood suggests there is a long way to go to achieve the above level of education and moral behaviour.

Well it’s a start. I’m willing to take the apology at face value but for me I still need to see a few metaphorical heads on spikes, board and/or manager that sanctioned it. If the board are genuinely sorry then they need to self-fund the transfer fee and payoff plus another significant gesture such as personally fund strip sponsorship by a anti-violence against women charity. Not a big fan of Bene’s comments but pretty grim situation for all the players to be put in so probably willing to give him a hall pass. If VMcD is correct about the lies from the CEO then position is completely untenable.

Having inexplicably followed him on Instagram for a wee while, Andy Munro is without doubt one of the thickest folk i've ever encountered. Not in the least bit surprised he's on the wrong side of this. 

Edited by Fratelli

Logically, there's no way those in charge at the club who oversaw all of this can justify staying in their positions. They've demonstrated gross stupidity and incompetence throughout. They've only climbed down because of the reactions of supporters, sponsors, and club employees and volunteers.

At best, they're now stuck having to hand over a huge amount of cash to a rapist, not to play for the club.

But this is reality and, like in all walks of life, those at the top of the tree aren't really affected by things like showing sound judgement or demonstrating competency.

The RR statement is something at least. Step 1 in the damage control. But this line:

we will enter into discussions with the player regarding his contractual position.

The player is under no obligation to accept a contract termination. He could just ask for his 2.5 years' wages to be paid up. 

The club could dismiss him, but then they'd be open to a tribunal. 

Whatever happens, this will cost Raith Rovers money by the barrowload, and reputation by the truckload.

5 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

The Scottish Football Community should be reflecting and identifying ways to help the victim of Goodwillie's heinous behaviour. For example, the compensation that Goodwillie, I believe, failed to pay to his victim.

Also educating young players on their legal and moral responsibilities to make sure, as far as possible, such a heinous act doesnt happen again. 

The current situation with Mason Greenwood suggests there is a long way to go to achieve the above level of education and moral behaviour.

Got to be very careful we are not pigeon holing domestic abuse / violence as a footballing problem. There are hundreds of thousands of footballers in the UK,  would imagine a very tiny number of them are abusers/rapists. 

8 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Having inexplicably followed him on Instagram for a wee while, Andy Munro is without a doubt one of the thickest folk i've ever encountered. Not in the least bit surprised he's on the wrong side of this. 

One of the most unfortunate follows I've ever made when he played for us. He really is gutter trash, lasted about 3 weeks before I binned him.

18 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

For example, the compensation that Goodwillie, I believe, failed to pay to his victim

Is this actually true?

I know he was bankrupt but I thought that was for unpaid tax from his Blackburn days (when he was earning £20k a week, by the way.............how the f**k can these guys end up penniless its beyond me)?

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The RR statement is something at least. Step 1 in the damage control. But this line:

The player is under no obligation to accept a contract termination. He could just ask for his 2.5 years' wages to be paid up. 

The club could dismiss him, but then they'd be open to a tribunal. 

Whatever happens, this will cost Raith Rovers money by the barrowload, and reputation by the truckload.

It depends; some contracts have an agreed notice period e.g. 3 months. Likewise a lot of professional contracts are made up of appearance fees and performance (either goals scored; assists; or clean sheets).  I imagine he's no chance of covering any of those unless he has a minimum appearance clause.

Depending on the type of contract; termination could receive tax and NI deduction at the full rate unless he somehow manages to deem it as redundancy payment.

33 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The BBC news report on the rapist being punted into the sea includes a link to this story which disproves the claim that there was no fallout when he signed for Clyde.

MSP John Mason boycotts Clyde after Goodwillie signing - BBC News

I get your point, but holding up John Mason as an example for anything is a bit of a far reach.  He believes Jesus was real and had a pet dinosaur.

On another note, the Raith chairman seems to have modelled himself on Boris Johnson.

Step 1 - outrages statements/actions without considering the consequences.

Step 2 - when criticised double down.

Step 3 - offer half hearted not-quite-an-apology that no-one believes.

Hopefully they’ll both be out on their arses soon.