The New Raith Rovers Thread

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Good to see Millen finally getting a wee bit of respect from folk. Had a shaky start but has progressed well and is now a steady mainstay in the defence. 

Well, now that’s settled, what will we do at LB? Ngwenya won’t be available to us at some point going forward while Dick isn’t everything we desired, and is looking stronger at CB. The idea that we’ll have Millen/Lang/Dick/??? As the starting back four for next season isn’t terrible, especially with Masson and Nolan to cover CB. With Young coming back, is it possible he’s the next LB, learning next season behind Dick while Nolan pairs with Lang when Dick is out wide? It does still leave us short cover at RB, but Brown is available…if not a world beater there…and if we change to 3 in back, with Nolan/Lang/Dick, and Brown and Young forward on the outside, I can see that working too.

As a thought, if Ngwenya is Aberdeen’s #4 LB, are they tied to him? He’s signed through 2024 there though…would we be interested in him? The problem would be the development fees.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't understand why Harry Kane didn't just Millen that second penalty in the England match. 

Long before Kane auditioned for the six nations, I suggested that the Van Gaal and the Brazil coach would do well to sit their players down and show them some video analysis of Ross Millen's penalty.

Just watched the highlights.

They confirmed what I thought at the time - Spencer won the ball cleanly, as can be seen by the pace and direction of the ball, in the incident which led to Morton's goal from the free kick.

Disappointed that the highlights didn't show the outrageous tackle on Ross in the last minute of injury time. Red card all day long. Granted, Ross should have released the ball earlier as we had a good chance of a break, but the viciousness of the tackle was appalling. A jersey pull or a click of the heels merits a booking, but a nasty studs down the back of the leg challenge is a red card in modern football.

What the highlights did show, and what maybe wasn't fully appreciated at the time, was the quality of Vaughan's header, both in terms of direction and timing of the jump.

16 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Sorry, what has he got? Pace? No. Crossing ability? No. Can he pass it? Not really. He controlled the ball out of the park today. Not been impressed any time I've seen him. Piss poor challenge at the end too, probably could have been a red. 

Strapp's booking was a textbook cynical yellow card challenge to stop a break. No one would be talking about it post-match if hadn't been for the bizarre overreaction at the time.

The worst two fouls in that game were both committed by Vaughan, catching O'Connor late with his studs up and escaping without a yellow, then elbowing Strapp and getting a yellow when the colour of the card was borderline. Can see why the ref kept his cards in his pocket as both were debatable decisions, but if Vaughan isn't even getting a booking for the first of those fouls then asking for a red for Strapp is a wild shout.

Edited by Dunning1874

I haven’t attended an away game since the 1-1 draw with the Pars in October 2021 but for some ill-conceived reason, I’m thinking about dragging my arse through to Douglas Park on the 2nd of January 2023. 

Come on you pinks!

Edited by Scary Bear

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I haven’t attended an away game since the 1-1 draw with the Pars in October 2021 but for some ill-conceived reason, I’m thinking about dragging my arse through to Douglas Park on the 2nd of January 2023. 

Come on you pinks!

Ironically, thats probably the one away game where we'll be wearing blue.

21 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Ironically, thats probably the one away game where we'll be wearing blue.

Wearing blue hmmm. I’m not sure if it’s a good omen or bad omen. I haven’t seen us lose an away league game since 30th September 2017 when we lost 2-1 at Albion Rovers. Admittedly I only attend a couple of away games a season and there’s been Covid, but still. But we lost last time I went to Lanarkshire. This Accies trip will be an experiment. So many variables. I’ll wear my lucky 🍀 Rovers top to try and sway it.

Dunfermline 1 v 1 Rovers - October 2021

Cowdenbeath 0 v 1 Rovers - July 2021

Livingston 3 v 1 Rovers - January 2020

East Fife 1 v 2 Rovers - March 2019

Forfar 1 v 1 Rovers - May 2018

Alloa 0 v 0 Rovers - January 2018

Albion Rovers 2 v 1 Rovers - September 2017

East Fife 0 v 5 Rovers - August 2017

Hearts 4 v 2 Rovers - January 2017

Dunfermline 0 v 0 Rovers - November 2016

Falkirk 2 v 4 Rovers - October 2016

Dundee United 2 v 2 Rovers - August 2016

That’s the away games I’ve been to, going back as far as the Gary F Locke season. I am definitely not a jinx. The season I decide that travelling away on a regular basis is a good idea, we’ll be back in the Prem. 

W4 D5 L3

Edited by Scary Bear