The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Tell me about it, I've been trying for years to find the prem away one to complete the set from the glory years.  

Think it was up on Ebay a while ago albeit without the sponsor on the front. Pretty sure the person selling it was looking for £150+ for it, crazy. I ended up using World Retro to reproduce a couple of the older tops namely the 94 away top, 89 home top and 92 home top. They done a superb job.

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

Think it was up on Ebay a while ago albeit without the sponsor on the front. Pretty sure the person selling it was looking for £150+ for it, crazy. I ended up using World Retro to reproduce a couple of the older tops namely the 94 away top, 89 home top and 92 home top. They done a superb job.

Think it's been up at £300+ :lol:

Happy enough with that. I assume Masson will go out on loan, at least for the first half of the season and get a good number of games under his belt. Mitchell will be squad filler but offers good pace and may develop further.

As others have said, the fact that Young hasn’t announced with them suggests he is away. Not really seen enough of him to know what standard he is at but Murray will know best. Not sure how reliable but I heard we offered a deal to a Premier League left back that was out of contract but he then received a renewal from his current team which he subsequently signed.  So if we are in the market for a new left back, as I think we need to be, then it makes sense for Young to move on as with Dick reported as in talks over a new deal he would likely have ended up as third choice.

Edited by R.R.FC

48 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Do like the reverse strip approach, but always thought the white strips lacked a bit. Always prefer a random yellow or pink. 

Had they done a reverse of this year's home shirt it would have likely been quite smart.

Wasn't a huge fan of the pink shirt but appreciate it does help to maybe broaden the appeal. Anecdotally my 5 year old daughter loves it, for example.

22 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Happy enough with that. I assume Masson will go out on loan, at least for the first half of the season and get a good number of games under his belt. Mitchell will be squad filler but offers good pace and may develop further.

As others have said, the fact that Young hasn’t announced with them suggests he is away. Not really seen enough of him to know what standard he is at but Murray will know best. Not sure how reliable but I heard we offered a deal to a Premier League left back that was out of contract but he then received a renewal from his current team which he subsequently signed.  So if we are in the market for a new left back, as I think we need to be, then it makes sense for Young to move on as with Dick reported as in talks over a new deal he would likely have ended up as third choice.

Sounds like it might’ve been Lewis Stevenson. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I loved the pink strip but seems like I was in the minority. Quite like the idea of us having a more outlandish away strip, though. Seen us have a boring one way too many times. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

I'm turning into a wee bit of an old man with these things, but I personally think the reverse of the home kit would have looked superb.

You’re not wrong about the reverse being a nice thought, but I think Hank is rep’in the younger crowd here. Starting a couple of decades ago, in the college football (American style) ranks, Nike made a splash with neon colored uniforms and how they actually attracted players to those teams. The NBA, the NHL, and even the NFL have all made moves to brighter uniform options. The bright, in your face colours play well with the younger set, so the idea of using the away strip to attract some of the younger fans is not a bad one. Perhaps a neon green away number for next season will be Ruaridh’s contribution this season…it’s not my cup of tea, but I love the idea.

45 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Think it's been up at £300+ :lol:

Ha! As soon as I saw your post I was minded of that very shirt 😆 It was 'generously' reduced to £270 for a while but is now back up at £300! Didn't even know we did a version of the 1995-96 shirt without a sponsor on the front (and if you're being really perinckety, I think the number on the back is the wrong colour for that season).

On that note I see Classic Football Shirts has a home and away shirt from the cup-winning season up for sale at the moment, albeit at their usual 'premium' prices...

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

@TxRover will be happy and relieved 😂😂

Indeed, but want to see the set with…

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Young not included is a surprise 

…as well.

54 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Absolutely, Masson for a year only makes sense if he’s a starter or going on loan to League One (or perhaps Two) for the first half (or season, but then I’d expect a 2 year deal…but perhaps that’s Barrowman). Mitchell’s been on loan for near a year and a half now, I’d expect him to get some opportunities early next season to make his case.

I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t retain Young. He’s played well in limited opportunities for us, and certainly looked at least the equal of Dick going forward/crossing, even if his defending still needs development. However, IM may have a different plan, although if that rumour is true, perhaps he’ll be revisiting keeping Young.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You’re not wrong about the reverse being a nice thought, but I think Hank is rep’in the younger crowd here. Starting a couple of decades ago, in the college football (American style) ranks, Nike made a splash with neon colored uniforms and how they actually attracted players to those teams. The NBA, the NHL, and even the NFL have all made moves to brighter uniform options. The bright, in your face colours play well with the younger set, so the idea of using the away strip to attract some of the younger fans is not a bad one. Perhaps a neon green away number for next season will be Ruaridh’s contribution this season…it’s not my cup of tea, but I love the idea.

I sit in the row in front of Hank. He ain't a young 'un. Younger than me, granted, but he's not up the back with the drummers and the pyro.

3 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I sit in the row in front of Hank. He ain't a young 'un. Younger than me, granted, but he's not up the back with the drummers and the pyro.

How very rude. 30 is the new 20. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sounds like it might’ve been Lewis Stevenson. 

Had heard that also. Was apparently pretty much a done deal before Hibs decided to offer him a new contract. 

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Agree. Always like it when clubs go radge with their away tops in terms of colour and style. 

However...

I agree with this also. The 94 home and away tops are without a doubt my favourite tops purely because of the colour reversal. That and our Prem home and away tops. 

I've argued the point for years, both with board members but mostly bored members. The home strip should be sacrosanct, it should have an identity like Hibs, Queens Park, QPR, Celtic, Arsenal, Bristol Rovers and Blackburn Rovers etc. That was why I liked the half and half top. In simple terms go for something traditional for the home top.

However the away kit (or 3rd kit if there's one) is a free hit, pile in with something radical or better still something that is akin to a famous strip, for example we all loved the red & blue Barca kit of the 90's.  Dundee have sold well with Sampdoria and Argentina, Hamilton's Inter kit was good and Cowden did well out of Brazil connections. On the radical side Partick sold their pink camouflage strips well we did well with the McRaes battalion strip. You need something that will have at least some appeal to non Raith fans too.

Unfortunately the people picking the kit have been generally clueless. We are years too late in going for the fluorescent pink number, the yellow and black Dortmond style kit was a poorest effort (yellow and Navy would have been a bit better). One former director thought the "the only people who should be wearing football kits are kids or guys actually playing football" That criteria doesn't help the club and demonstrated precisely why old men should be kept away from decisions about things like that. Get people neared the age group of those buying them to assist with the choice.

It's a lucrative stream if managed the right way.

23 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

This sums it up perfectly. I’m sure Barrowman etc won’t tolerate this sort of nonsense for long. 

It's early days but hopefully he will, if he does he'll be in rare company. There's a lengthy list of former (and I dare say current) directors who found the man very obstinate and difficult to deal with.

18 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

It's early days but hopefully he will, if he does he'll be in rare company. There's a lengthy list of former (and I dare say current) directors who found the man very obstinate and difficult to deal with.

The key test is whether Sim can genuinely take a back seat and let the new guys get on with it. He's allegedly retaining almost half the club (49%) so it's not as if he's being relegated to a position of insignificance, even if his total control has been relinquished. He has been very "hands off" in running the club for years, at least in the terms of day-to-day, although at the same time it seems he's been very hard to work with on some of the more fundamental issues. Since he is no longer running the show, and perhaps more crucially the expectations he puts his hand in his pocket when the finances are bad will no longer be there, maybe it'll be easier for him to sit back. 

He still owns the stadium right enough, so we can't afford to really piss him off. 

31 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

I've argued the point for years, both with board members but mostly bored members. The home strip should be sacrosanct, it should have an identity like Hibs, Queens Park, QPR, Celtic, Arsenal, Bristol Rovers and Blackburn Rovers etc. That was why I liked the half and half top. In simple terms go for something traditional for the home top.

However the away kit (or 3rd kit if there's one) is a free hit, pile in with something radical or better still something that is akin to a famous strip, for example we all loved the red & blue Barca kit of the 90's.  Dundee have sold well with Sampdoria and Argentina, Hamilton's Inter kit was good and Cowden did well out of Brazil connections. On the radical side Partick sold their pink camouflage strips well we did well with the McRaes battalion strip. You need something that will have at least some appeal to non Raith fans too.

Unfortunately the people picking the kit have been generally clueless. We are years too late in going for the fluorescent pink number, the yellow and black Dortmond style kit was a poorest effort (yellow and Navy would have been a bit better). One former director thought the "the only people who should be wearing football kits are kids or guys actually playing football" That criteria doesn't help the club and demonstrated precisely why old men should be kept away from decisions about things like that. Get people neared the age group of those buying them to assist with the choice.

It's a lucrative stream if managed the right way.

Ghosting a large white crest on a brilliant lime green shirt, with navy blue sleeves (with lime trim) and numbers would be pretty interesting. Wouldn’t be surprised if it would be a surprise sales hit.