The New Raith Rovers Thread

Folk have a mental idea of what the players earn. Do you honestly think we don’t have players on £45k a year? That’s a little over £850 a week. 

The majority of the squad will be on at least that amount. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Folk have a mental idea of what the players earn. Do you honestly think we don’t have players on £45k a year? That’s a little over £850 a week. 

This. 
It would surprise me more if people thought we’ve nailed every top target by offering £280 a week. 

Im sure back in the day someone was bankrolling big Marv to the tune of £5k a month. 
Go even further back and guys like Stevie Crawford I’m sure were on £3k a week at the Pars. 

43 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

This. 
It would surprise me more if people thought we’ve nailed every top target by offering £280 a week. 

Im sure back in the day someone was bankrolling big Marv to the tune of £5k a month. 
Go even further back and guys like Stevie Crawford I’m sure were on £3k a week at the Pars. 

For some reason it’s always stuck in my head that I read in FourFourTwo once that Crawford - once upon a time - was the highest paid player in Scottish fitba outwith the Old Firm, on £4.5k a week.

Just now, CrossgatesCynic said:

For some reason it’s always stuck in my head that I read in FourFourTwo once that Crawford - once upon a time - was the highest paid player in Scottish fitba outwith the Old Firm, on £4.5k a week.

The figures that came out from Dunfermline were ridiculous. I think wages were well in excess of over 100% of their turnover.

The late 90s and early 00s were an absolute embarrassment of a time for club finances in Scottish football. Nearly every club who were currently between the bottom 6 of the top flight down to the tail end of the old first division were in some form financial trouble. You had clubs like us renovating to meet the 10,000 criteria post Hillsborough and others chucking money at players.

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If that’s the basic wage, before any bonus or add ons (appearance fees, win bonus etc) then yes I would be concerned. 
if it includes all of the above then I’d be more relaxed.

2 hours ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

You could well be correct with Stevie Crawford and £4.5k. Mental times at the Pars back then.

Remember Goodwillie was a £120k 2 year deal / £5k a month. 

I would imagine several of our players are on decent dough and new management will look to recoup on via improved commercial activity.

10 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

If that’s the basic wage, before any bonus or add ons (appearance fees, win bonus etc) then yes I would be concerned. 
if it includes all of the above then I’d be more relaxed.

There will be a wage structure in place, like any football club.

A full time Championship side like the Rovers will absolutely have top earners on anywhere ~£750+ a week as a basic wage. Bonuses will obviously be incentivised over & above dependent on the individual contract.

It could probably be worked out from the accounts, based on wage expenditure vs. squad size, what the average wage is.

3 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

This. 

Think that himself and Craig Brewster were wanting 5k a week each at one point. I'm sure there was a news article about it kicking around. What they ended up on, or what they were on at the time would've been less but not miles away you'd imagine. 

From memory I think wages were at 120% of turnover or thereabouts. 

When we were more fan run it wasn't uncommon for players wages to come out, there's some decent money kicking about at this level. 

51 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

There will be a wage structure in place, like any football club.

A full time Championship side like the Rovers will absolutely have top earners on anywhere ~£750+ a week as a basic wage. Bonuses will obviously be incentivised over & above dependent on the individual contract.

It could probably be worked out from the accounts, based on wage expenditure vs. squad size, what the average wage is.

Exactly this, work it back. Our top earners will be on in excess of £1k a week basic. 

Aye Crawford was on an absolute fortune, certainly at the latter end of his first stint before he went down south. Him and Brewster were regularly up the scoring chats behind the likes of Larsson and the other OF strikers at the time. I recall Crawford's wages being discussed, could all be BS but he was on a really good basic weekly wage, thousands, then had bonuses for appearance, goals, assists. A good game for him could see £5K p/w. Absolute madness!

I'd imagine he was the highest but looking at that 2003/04 team when we finished 4th in the SPL and got to the Scottish Cup Final, there would have been big hitters in there. Darren and Derek Young were the next big things to come out of Aberdeen, turned a new deal down to join us. Barry Nic, Brewster would have been on good money. Skerla was a Lithuanian international. Then boys who had been involved for years like Shields, Thomson, Bullen, Mason, Dempsey, even Noel Hunt and he rarely got a look in due to Crawford and Brewster's partnership.

No wonder we nearly went down the pan! 

52 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Exactly this, work it back. Our top earners will be on in excess of £1k a week basic. 

Especially when you take into account that we still have a few guys that were signed/given new contracts by the previous manager and may well have add-ons built in. Once you factor in 'McGlynnflation*' some of our longer-serving players may well be on £1k+ a week basic.

(*credit goes to whoever came up with this term first on the thread!)

£1k a week seems pretty fair in this day and age for players at the top of this level. I always feel that for some people, they equate the value now to that of years ago, a bit of "back in my day". Same with ticket prices for grounds. 

On another note, I see we've got hospitality available to book for all home games this season on Fanbase already. A nice change from last year. 

7 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Would be concerned if we have even 1 player on wages within 10k a year of this.

regarding the prize money have Viaplay already coughed this up to the SPFL ?

I read a while ago that the viaplay money for the whole competition was paid and had been banked