The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, cilitbang said:

What was O'Reilly like in terms of organising the defence? Does he take ownership with communication or he is more on the passive that gets shuttled around by the other CB?

I can't recall, he was too busy up the other end of the park knocking in goals.

8 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

What was O'Reilly like in terms of organising the defence? Does he take ownership with communication or he is more on the passive that gets shuttled around by the other CB?

He had a fair few set-twos from what I seen. Away to Arbroath he was arguing with Dick a fair bit, against Airdrie I seen him arguing with Bryne and telling him where to go. 

He definitely does talk, no doubt about it. He's tenacious, hard in the tackle, not shy in going for headers but isn't the tallest so lost a fair few, can shift when needed ie quick and pitches in with goals. He's a good acquisition in my eyes. 

I really liked him but as others stated he didn't solve our conceding issues. I'd have liked to have seen him paired with Watson but that was why he was brought in. 

Good luck to him. Hope he doesn't come back to haunt us 🙄 

He was actually exposed by Thistle in the 4-3 game that was his worst performance. I don't think he's an organiser or "leader of men" as such more an old school aggressive centre half who attacks the ball regardless of where it is. 

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

He was actually exposed by Thistle in the 4-3 game that was his worst performance. I don't think he's an organiser or "leader of men" as such more an old school aggressive centre half who attacks the ball regardless of where it is. 

So he's Tom Lang?

36 minutes ago, grumswall said:

He's actually a very good cb all things considered.

Then we agree, he’s NOT a CB, he’s a makeshift CB. Just saying that his natural role at DM suits him much more. Now, we can have a debate if there is room at the midfield inn for Brown…if Turner and Byrne can work in the middle (4-1-3-2) with Brown at a DM behind them, we’re back to work, but if Turner and Byrne need to be deeper (4-2-3-1), then a Brown released from the CB role becomes a potential odd man out.

Turner looks a cracking signing on paper.Intrigued to see where he fits into the team-he ain’t coming to start on the bench that’s for sure.

2 more signings/loans.Stevenson?Ashcroft?Hylton?

Reckon 1 or 2 might head out on loan if we get 2 in and if Watson and Stanton are back before end of January.

40 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

He knows what he’s doing at both ends of the park.

I think with the arrival of Turner and the loss of Stanton Brown will be used at CB or potentially RB. 

Brown is probably a more versatile player than McGill in that respect. He offers a more mobile option in defence in that he will carry the ball out from the back or push up to assist Byrne. That all comes at a cost though and that's the fact he isn't a natural defender. 

There were a number of games early season when he filled in where you could suggest he was (partially)  at fault for goals conceded due to positioning eg: Dundee United at home. He does seem to have improved on this however. 

48 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Didn't think he organised all that much but was a good CB, although I  always thought he was a penalty waiting to happen at times.

46 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

He had a fair few set-twos from what I seen. Away to Arbroath he was arguing with Dick a fair bit, against Airdrie I seen him arguing with Bryne and telling him where to go. 

He definitely does talk, no doubt about it. He's tenacious, hard in the tackle, not shy in going for headers but isn't the tallest so lost a fair few, can shift when needed ie quick and pitches in with goals. He's a good acquisition in my eyes. 

I really liked him but as others stated he didn't solve our conceding issues. I'd have liked to have seen him paired with Watson but that was why he was brought in. 

Good luck to him. Hope he doesn't come back to haunt us 🙄 

You have a point there about arguing with teamates, maybe he upset the harmony of the dressing room 

40 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

You have a point there about arguing with teamates, maybe he upset the harmony of the dressing room 

Every possibility?! Would be intrigued to hear what his fellow colleagues thought of him? It would maybe make sense in terms of not offering him a longer contract as well. We're not flies on the wall but the fact he's chipped in with goals and Murray hasn't went all out to get him maybe paints more of a picture when you stand back and look at it. 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Don't give me Danny Devine vibes 😭

I reckon going forward, we just don't defend, we're shite at it anyway. 

Team; 

Dabrowski 

Watson Murray

Byrne Brown 

Connolly Stanton Turner Easton 

Vaughan Hamilton 

All in 😂

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Turner is a good player but seems to cause problems in the dressing room everywhere he goes.

If he performs on the park though I’m sure teammates and fans will be happy enough with him.

I doubt he’ll cause problems here, he’s worked under Murray before so he knows him well, plus our recruitment team would do thorough research into whoever’s coming in and if he was a problem I don’t think we would’ve signed him 

2 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Turner is a good player but seems to cause problems in the dressing room everywhere he goes.

Great,

Ultimately he's got a short term chance to get a league winners medal. He's not getting a game at county and if he fucks about here he can't play for anyone else this season so hopefully lots of hard work and endeavour 

Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to answer this but if Dundee allow Ashcroft to go out on loan and we're in for him is that possible with us already having a player from Dundee on loan? I might as well tag the person that'll know 😝 @TxRover

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Someone with more knowledge than me might be able to answer this but if Dundee allow Ashcroft to go out on loan and we're in for him is that possible with us already having a player from Dundee on loan? I might as well tag the person that'll know 😝 @TxRover

I'm sure the rules are one player from a team in the same division and three from a different division so no issues there.