The New Raith Rovers Thread

We simply have to pack the central midfield. We were completely overran in there again. Matthews, Byrne, Turner plus a couple of hardworking wing backs would make us competitive again. Current system is not working 

1 minute ago, renton said:

The 4-1-3-2 is a massive gamble of a formation. It requires you to create more than you will likely concede once the press is broken, and requires a huge amount of discipline in the press.

No doubt not having a settled defence is an issue, I honestly am not sure Millen prevents the equaliser but I'm sure a settled back 4 having played a number of games together make s better go of the corner.

Yet the biggest issue today for me was that we didnt create enough up front. Hamilton won a bunch of headers but Vaughan -in possibly his worst game in a Rovers shirt- did little to hold the 2nd ball or do much useful with it.

Likewise, on the left, Easton has been off form for about three weeks now and does look a bit leggy.

I'm not convinced this is due to IM playing favourites or - In @TxRover's shite use of language on the other thread being "IM's pets" but that they still show up in training well, and both can still create something out of nothing.

Didnt happen today. I would have had Gullan and Smith on far earlier and would have kept the same shape.

We've been chopping and changing shape and personnel so much that you could argue folk are playing while fairly leggy when in a more settled, or less injury ravaged squad, you could cycle guys out a bit more naturally. Murray was arguably slow to change and predictable when he did so. Yet, we did have plenty of the ball in that final spell but lacked the quality for once to do something with it.

Murray didn't get much right today but has got plenty right in other games so far.

A title challenge was probably never on To be honest, we've swashbuckled our way into a decent position but United will easily slog it out to the title. We need to get a couple of bodies back fit and playing, and Murray needs to maybe be a bit braver with his starting line ups.

Gullan deserves a start next week as does corr, if going 4-2-3-1 next week then for me it’s McNeil ( Kev if fit) McGill , Murray , corr , dick, Byrne, brown , mullin, turner, gullan , Hamilton . Lewis and easton as impact subs 

4 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

That’s why you’ve good a squad? He needs to trust it, he signed Corr/McGill gave Masson a new deal so why not use them rather than having to play a winger and Midfielder at the back a leggy winger ie Easton for Gullan or smith it’s clear he doesn’t have faith or trust in some of the players 

In terms of Gullan and Smith I agree. Vaughan had one of those rare instances where he was genuinely shite. After all these years you could make that charge maybe a handful of times.

At the back, I'm less convinced. Suspect if fit Matthews would have been in at right back but it's hardly surprising that someone coming back from that time out would develop other niggles (how often did Vaughan, after every ACL, come back then pull up for a hammy injury for several weeks)

Brown has played plenty at CB. I dont think's particularly different in there from Murray who we recognise as a CB despite his documented faults. Would you rather play Masson who has little experience, or play a couple of guys with a few hundred games under their belts. Perhaps Masson hasnt progressed intraining despite the new deal as well?

For all that, for me - the issues were largely in the final third of the pitch.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

In terms of Gullan and Smith I agree. Vaughan had one of those rare instances where he was genuinely shite. After all these years you could make that charge maybe a handful of times.

At the back, I'm less convinced. Suspect if fit Matthews would have been in at right back but it's hardly surprising that someone coming back from that time out would develop other niggles (how often did Vaughan, after every ACL, come back then pull up for a hammy injury for several weeks)

Brown has played plenty at CB. I dont think's particularly different in there from Murray who we recognise as a CB despite his documented faults. Would you rather play Masson who has little experience, or play a couple of guys with a few hundred games under their belts. Perhaps Masson hasnt progressed intraining despite the new deal as well?

For all that, for me - the issues were largely in the final third of the pitch.

I agree with the last part 100% but rather than a Mullin at RB why no give Masson or McGill who’s been reliable for Murray in those positions a run out who more defensively better I would say but I do get all the points you make, I would personally like to see a Fullback/someone who can play either side and another CB come in, it think we need an Ashcroft type in there a b*****d that would win stuff/lead from the back and get us somewhat organised at the back 

We created more than enough chances today to win that game and their keeper made at least 3 top drawer saves. On another day we could've been up by 3 at half time. Vaughan needs to stop throwing himself to the ground nearly every time someone goes near him, the last 5 or 6 games it has become really noticeable andvit frustrates the fek out of me.

Their first goal was just like most of the rest we've conceded lately, boy runs with the ball and runs and runs and nobody goes anywhere near him to close him down, they all go with runners and leave him to it. McNeil had  no chance with either goal, just poor defending. 

All our pace and urgency has gone AWOL apart from the last 5 minutes today. Since the Dundee United game Easton has wanted to take on 3 or 4 players and then do it again. Before that game he'd hit the byline and cross it or cut inside, shoot or pass it.

Dick being his usual self, put the ball out of play every time he tried to pass it up the line.

Hamilton, Byrne, Turner, Connelly, McNeil and probably Corr had a decent game but there's far too many individuals wanting to do it all themselves at the moment.

It's just so frustrating watching the team at the moment when we know what they're capable of. Yes we lost today but there was a lot of good football on show from us at times. We just can't seem to finish teams off.

Onwards and upwards, let's give Livi a good skelping next week.

8 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

We created more than enough chances today to win that game and their keeper made at least 3 top drawer saves. On another day we could've been up by 3 at half time. Vaughan needs to stop throwing himself to the ground nearly every time someone goes near him, the last 5 or 6 games it has become really noticeable andvit frustrates the fek out of me.

We created more than enough against Arbroath and Ayr to win those games but didn’t from winning positions mind you were just not clinical enough when we lead and only seem to find our shooting boots when things go wrong that’s my frustrations should’ve been out of sight against Arbroath out of Sight against QP today, aye their keeper did make a few good saves but Hamilton twice headered it straight at him if he picked a corner certain goals…. 

we just have to be a bit more clinical when we do go 1-0 up because the longer it goes and we’ve had a load of chances I fear we might chuck and we did those 2 games I’ve mentioned 

13 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Dick being his usual self, put the ball out of play every time he tried to pass it up the line.

I’m at the point now, get rid aye he might be decent defensively but going forward and passing especially he’s extremely poor or just move him CH if need be, he’s not a title winning full back mid table/lower half championship full back at best imo 

I don't think we were particularly bad today, probably a bit unlucky to lose over the 90 minutes.

I'm not overly convinced that's a different outcome with a first choice backline though.  The real issue is not putting games to bed when we have the ascendancy and have periods when we are controlling possession. That has been a consistent issue all season, and for all the attacking options we have - we don't have enough threat in the box at times.  Some really decent corner kicks and balls in the box, but if Hamilton doesn't make it stick, there isnt much there.

My fear is that we've got what we can out of the current system and personnel as it stands.  We relied heavily on late winners or edging games out, but you don't have a good season by consistently doing that.  If you lose that element to our game, theres a side with bang average form on display.  We've dried up on that front, still haven't been able to make our mark on a complete game, and are starting to throw goals and points away from winning positions. 

Certainly not saying that we have suddenly become a bad side, but something does need changed even if we are to finish in 2nd place.  The reaction to that Utd win has been extremely poor, 3 home games against teams in a relegation battle where we have had a lead - and 7 points thrown in the bin.

In an ideal world, in terms of what we need, I think we need another centre forward (too much depends on Hamilton), another Centre half (too much depends on Murray/Watson staying fit) and another full back. We have a huge squad as it is though, so that wont happen.

Edited by CALDERON

Updates from Murray’s post-match interview;

Watson and Matthews picked up little niggles at the end of the week, expected to train fully on Monday. 
Dabrowski 80-85% fit, performance of McNeil made it an easier decision to rest him. 
Stanton 3-4 weeks away maximum. 

4 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Watson and Matthews picked up little niggles at the end of the week, expected to train fully on Monday. 
Dabrowski 80-85% fit, performance of McNeil made it an easier decision to rest him. 

I'd definitely rest Dabrowski and put McNeil in the team next week

Edited by Rovers2017

30 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I don't think we were particularly bad today, probably a bit unlucky to lose over the 90 minutes.

I'm not overly convinced that's a different outcome with a first choice backline though.  The real issue is not putting games to bed when we have the ascendancy and have periods when we are controlling possession. That has been a consistent issue all season, and for all the attacking options we have - we don't have enough threat in the box at times.  Some really decent corner kicks and balls in the box, but if Hamilton doesn't make it stick, there isnt much there.

My fear is that we've got what we can out of the current system and personnel as it stands.  We relied heavily on late winners or edging games out, but you don't have a good season by consistently doing that.  If you lose that element to our game, theres a side with bang average form on display.  We've dried up on that front, still haven't been able to make our mark on a complete game, and are starting to throw goals and points away from winning positions. 

Certainly not saying that we have suddenly become a bad side, but something does need changed even if we are to finish in 2nd place.  The reaction to that Utd win has been extremely poor, 3 home games against teams in a relegation battle where we have had a lead - and 7 points thrown in the bin.

In an ideal world, in terms of what we need, I think we need another centre forward (too much depends on Hamilton), another Centre half (too much depends on Murray/Watson staying fit) and another full back - as Liam Dick really isnt good enough for anything beyond mid to lower Championship.  We have a huge squad as it is though, so that wont happen.

You say that but if Murray has no faith in Masson/McGill Gullan is hardly playing and Corr is in and out either send on loan and free up wages or just get rid all of them are on short contracts so wouldn’t cost much then get in better and Agree with you with Liam dick we need a vast upgrade he’s not a full back you win a title with 

10 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Last part end of the season then 👍 Watson was supposed to be a few weeks turned out months 

31 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

'm not overly convinced that's a different outcome with a first choice backline though.  The real issue is not putting games to bed when we have the ascendancy and have periods when we are controlling possession. That has been a consistent issue all season, and for all the attacking options we have - we don't have enough threat in the box at times.  Some really decent corner kicks and balls in the box, but if Hamilton doesn't make it stick, there isnt much there.

I overall agree here but I do think a first choice back line gives more options at corners than just Hamilton. Having Watson and Murray and Dick attacking the box would cause issues. 

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

I overall agree here but I do think a first choice back line gives more options at corners than just Hamilton. Having Watson and Murray and Dick attacking the box would cause issues. 

Still can’t defend them though even with them 3 there we just seem to concede from corners/balls into the box or free kicks no matter who we have and it’s still not been a problem that’s been fixed 

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Still can’t defend them though even with them 3 there we just seem to concede from corners/balls into the box or free kicks no matter who we have and it’s still not been a problem that’s been fixed 

Very true. For a lot of this season I don't think the constant changes at the back have helped, including things like this, but we've always struggled to defend set pieces, and it's a frustration 

A first choice back line and the first goal doesn't happen, they correctly identified that Mullin has no defensive positional sense and exploited it. 

The second goal you would like to think doesn't happen, there was no challenging going on at that corner. 

10 minutes ago, pub car king said:

A first choice back line and the first goal doesn't happen, they correctly identified that Mullin has no defensive positional sense and exploited it. 

The second goal you would like to think doesn't happen, there was no challenging going on at that corner. 

The 2nd goal does happen no matter who’s at the back it’s been like this for the past few seasons just can’t defend them and it’s not been rectified