The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is anyone else worried about how, even before the season starts we seem to be in the midst of injury problems. According to todays courier, Hill has begun preseason training after an injury and Ellis is still to begin, on top of Sparky and Wilson still being out.

Can't see the story on line, why is Ellis still to begin?

Hamstring fatigue issues apparently.Though it does say that he should be back for saturdays game.

So he must have had some training surely, otherwise what's the point throwing him into a game situation, friendly or no?

In many repsects my initial gut instinct is that this seaosn will be similar to lasts, cup run aside, and that we'll be looking at avoiding relegation again.

So he must have had some training surely, otherwise what's the point throwing him into a game situation, friendly or no?

In many repsects my initial gut instinct is that this seaosn will be similar to lasts, cup run aside, and that we'll be looking at avoiding relegation again.

Yeah. I think i'm just a little cautious after the tail end of last season and wouldn't like to see the club get caught out. Not that I lack faith in anyones judgement.

Must be time to post my usual reply

This used to happen in the late 80's and early 90's, but was poorly attended due to the relevant differences in teams ability. Indeed Raith and Dunfermline used to play a mix of youth and 1st teamers, whilst East Fife & Cowdenbeath played their first team.

Having attended all the matches in one of the last weekenders in 1993, IMHO it was the right time to put it this version of the competition to sleep.

The last time it was played as a warm up we played the Shipyard and they kicked off us the park and we had 3 or 4 players out injured for the opening league game, so Jimmy Nic decided to knock it on the head.

Fair do's. Should it not just be scrapped in that case then? Its' present constitution is farcical and pointless.

Is it not the oldest trophy in world football or something ridiculous though?..

It's always our defenders out injured, isn't it?

Hill will obviously miss the first few of games given he's only just begun training, and I'd imagine Ellis may miss the first couple. Murray will have to continue at RB in the absence of Wilson, so it's likely to end up as Wedderburn & Davidson at centre half. That's a combination way down the list on the priority list of CB pairings! In fact, it's the one I'd least like to see.

The annoying thing is, we actually have ample cover in defence when you look at it on paper. I believe we have 9 listed defenders, and Davidson can also be used there when necessary.Anyone fancy a bet on how many CB pairings we'll go through this season?

Regardless of their injuries, I think Hill and Ellis will both get a good pre-season behind them. Hopefully Wilson can do the same.

Edited by Michael W

Who needs defence when you have John Baird and Gregory Tade up-front? :P

looking forward to chanting "put your hands up for John Baird" up at Forfar after his hatrick. :lol:

crashing_su-27.jpg

but maybe I'm being too negative just now.....

edited too add picture more closely aligned to how I feel about this.

Edited by renton

398416169_5c832f23de.jpg

but maybe I'm being too negative just now.....

just think back to pre season games last year as we watched in awe as each of Tade's shots took out half of Starks pigeon population

just think back to pre season games last year as we watched in awe as each of Tade's shots took out half of Starks pigeon population

Aye, and then achieved Scotland's first unmanned space flights.

Stop worrying guys!

McGlynnho will get us sorted right oot and raring to go.

'Mon the Rovers! Get in aboot this 1st division sheeeeite.

Bit early to be on the whisky, is it not?

I feel sorry for Scott McBride, he's obviously relatively local, becuase as one of the new signings - and the other three can't be - he is getting wheeled out for all the various large and small tedious public appearences required of the Rovers.

god help him if he's shite now....

Don't think anyone should get their hopes up too much about McBride. Might be handy to have some pace to bring off the bench but I don't see him as a starter if we've got anything like a full squad.

I'm hoping we get Johnny Russell back.

Don't think anyone should get their hopes up too much about McBride. Might be handy to have some pace to bring off the bench but I don't see him as a starter if we've got anything like a full squad.

injured

im more worried about our lack of depth again this season and as discussed already lack of strikers

This is it, though.

If McBride doesn't make too much of an impact, then we're left with Williamson to play out on the left. Without me going off at a tangent about his poor performances last season, I've never been convinced he's a solution out wide. He cuts inside far too often, resulting in us losing width and he really doesn't have enough pace to be playing out there.

You can of course counter those criticisms by saying he was our second top scorer last season, but I'm not sure Williamson himself really knows where his best position in the team is.

Edit: I still stand by what I said when he went - I'd have kept Darren Smith.

Edited by Michael W