The New Raith Rovers Thread

I was six when all that was going on.

My favorite memory (in hindsight) is probably just before I went to bed the night we'd played Gotu at home. My dad went to the game, I didn't because it was a school night.

My mum came in and told me we'd won 4-0, and I was all happy because I thought that meant we'd won the UEFA Cup. :lol:

I started going regularly our first season back in the First Division after being relegated, which was 1997/8 I think, which would make me 6 or 7. Give me five years to actually gain full awareness of what was going on I don't think it'd be unfair to suggest I've not had a great time watching the Rovers. Up until McGlynn came in the highlight was stumbling over the finish line in the Second under Calderon, and there's too many lows to even go into. I think in a way that's been helpful though, as just as those who were young in the glory days saw it as the norm, I almost see a draw in Peterhead or Alloa as a cracking result. Low expectations mean seasons like this, and the Cup run last season, are absolutely tremendous and will live with me forever. No matter how this one pans out it's just great to see us doing something.

It's just a shame I work a lot of Saturday nights which stops me going to some away games. Will be hooring it home from Falkirk next week to make it back in time, but I'd have it no other way.

I was six when all that was going on.

My favorite memory (in hindsight) is probably just before I went to bed the night we'd played Gotu at home. My dad went to the game, I didn't because it was a school night.

My mum came in and told me we'd won 4-0, and I was all happy because I thought that meant we'd won the UEFA Cup. :lol:

:lol:

I remember having to take 3 half days for "appointments" from school for the home games. As soon as the tickets arrived at the house they were hidden under lock and key from Mum. :lol:

I only went to the odd game really until the 2001/02 season when family reasons meant we found ourselves down in Kdy a fair bit. The bug then bit.

If the team go up this year it will for me be the clubs greatest ever achievement. In terms of how far they have come and everything that gas gone on over the last 6-7 years and all with a manager shocked had sweet fa for a budget.

Yep got to agree with that. :)

At the start of the season we would have taken second place if offered but after being top for most of the season it will be horrible to finish runners now (and to the Pars of all teams)

Watching us play for a point yesterday, I think McGlynn has now selected points totals from each game and will stick rigorously to achieving them.

MORTON................1

ROSS COUNTY....3

FALKIRK.................1

DUNDEE................1

COWDENBEATH..3

STIRLING...............3

DUNFERMLINE....1

QOTS......................3

PARTICK................1

I know we won't go unbeaten till seasons' end but I don't think our manager will predict us to lose any game so roll with it!

He wants 15 from those games (66 in total) and so there is a margin of error to draw 1 other game he might expect us to win. If we lose 1 then we'll need to beat Partick on the last game. If we lose to Dunfermline then we'll probably need to rely on other results.

Whatever happens I think you'll see 4-5-1 a lot more in the coming weeks' away games :rolleyes:

Edited by pantene proV

Don't know if much folk on here buy the "scotland on sunday" newspaper, but i'd advise any true rovers fans to but it today. There's a really good interview with ronnie coyle in the sports section today. In fact, here's the link - http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Interview-Ronnie-Coyle--Blue.6737163.jp

Edited by philpy

Whatever happens I think you'll see 4-5-1 a lot more in the coming weeks' away games :rolleyes:

Think you're reading too much into it. We played a 4-5-1/4-3-3 system for the majority of our away games between about early October and January. Certainly I remember it at Cowdenbeath, Cappielow first time around and EEP, although it was ditched in the second half. I don't think we've ever played particularly well with it, so it was a surprise to see McGlynn go back to it yesterday, particularly with Baird as the spearhead. Surely you need a big, strong guy in that role?

Anyway, I'll be happy if we don't see it again, but I fear you may be right that it's made something of a comeback.

Edited by Paco

Three of our remaining away games are against Falkirk Dunfermline and Partick, the other being against Stirling (a win there is no certainty). At Stark's we really need to beat Ross County Cowdenbeath and QOS and hopefully take something from Dundee. :huh:

At least Dunfermline dont have it any easier.:rolleyes:

PS - Unless of course Steven Nicholl referees all their games <_<

Edited by Raith_Raver

Don't know if much folk on here buy the "scotland on sunday" newspaper, but i'd advise any true rovers fans to but it today. There's a really good interview with ronnie coyle in the sports section today. In fact, here's the link - http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sport/Interview-Ronnie-Coyle--Blue.6737163.jp

Would bring a tear to a glass eye. What a guy, a complete and utter Rovers legend.

Get that pinned on the dressing room wall Mcglynn.

Would bring a tear to a glass eye. What a guy, a complete and utter Rovers legend.

Get that pinned on the dressing room wall Mcglynn.

I echo those sentiments. Winning the league would even better if we do it for ronnie.

Think you're reading too much into it. We played a 4-5-1/4-3-3 system for the majority of our away games between about early October and January. Certainly I remember it at Cowdenbeath, Cappielow first time around and EEP, although it was ditched in the second half. I don't think we've ever played particularly well with it, so it was a surprise to see McGlynn go back to it yesterday, particularly with Baird as the spearhead. Surely you need a big, strong guy in that role?

Anyway, I'll be happy if we don't see it again, but I fear you may be right that it's made something of a comeback.

Not so sure Paco - it was a rigid 4-5-1 yesterday on a tight pitch too whereas the other occasions were meant to be more fluid. I think it'll be deployed at all the away games now where JM expects/wants a point (so all bar Stirling). You're correct of course in saying it doesn't work for us; Tade certainly has lost any ability he had to play wide right and should always be one of a striking pair but hey, if McGlynn sees us over the line with an unbeaten away run because of it to seasons' end then I'll be delighted.

Another jobby-inducing jaunt to Firhill where we only need a point, anyone? Making quite a habit of that.

edit - oh, and great interview in that SOS link :)

Edited by pantene proV

If the team go up this year it will for me be the clubs greatest ever achievement. In terms of how far they have come and everything that gas gone on over the last 6-7 years and all with a manager shocked had sweet fa for a budget.

Agreed also.

It's been said millions of times but where McGlynn and his staff have the club right now, on the resources that we have, is nothing short of brilliance.

Agreed also.

It's been said millions of times but where McGlynn and his staff have the club right now, on the resources that we have, is nothing short of brilliance.

Absolutely. He's molded a team of average players, many who came up after seasons in the Second Division and made them a hard nut to crack thru shear organisation and committment. Folk say we're hammer throwers. My reply to that is we play to our strengths and its got us where we are. Some of our players couldnt pass water or trap a bag of sand, but as a unit we're the best organised team in the league.

Not so sure Paco - it was a rigid 4-5-1 yesterday on a tight pitch too whereas the other occasions were meant to be more fluid. I think it'll be deployed at all the away games now where JM expects/wants a point (so all bar Stirling). You're correct of course in saying it doesn't work for us; Tade certainly has lost any ability he had to play wide right and should always be one of a striking pair but hey, if McGlynn sees us over the line with an unbeaten away run because of it to seasons' end then I'll be delighted.

Another jobby-inducing jaunt to Firhill where we only need a point, anyone? Making quite a habit of that.

edit - oh, and great interview in that SOS link :)

Thats an absolute screamer of a phrase!

Don't know if much folk on here buy the "scotland on sunday" newspaper, but i'd advise any true rovers fans to but it today. There's a really good interview with ronnie coyle in the sports section today. In fact, here's the link - http://scotlandonsun...Blue.6737163.jp

Cracking interview with a true Rovers great. I still get emotional just thinking about that half time last year.

Don't mean to take this away from the Ronnie chat - great article by the way, thanks Philpy - but what is with the embarrasing mollycoddling pish the club have continually been coming out with over the last few months? Latest installment is now on the website. Along with the fire exits and "stadium guide" being posted online, ways to behave posted online before the game, that fucking patronising announcement ten minutes before kick-off, a gazillion stewards dotted every five feet around the ground..

.. what on earth is it all about?

Edited by Paco

Don't mean to take this away from the Ronnie chat - great article by the way, thanks Philpy - but what is with the embarrasing mollycoddling pish the club have continually been coming out with over the last few months? Latest installment is now on the website. Along with the fire exits and "stadium guide" being posted online, ways to behave posted online before the game, that fucking patronising announcement ten minutes before kick-off, a gazillion stewards dotted every five feet around the ground..

.. what on earth is it all about?

New Health & Safety officer going a bit OTT with the 'rules'. Even the stewards think its a heap of pish.