The New Raith Rovers Thread

It was rubbish when we were grubbing about bottom/midtable in the 2nd Division, but we were only paying £12 to get in then (or was it a tenner? I forget). I realise that overheads have risen significantly since then, but wages haven't. £17 is too much money for the standard of football we're watching.

A few years back I was going to 30+ games every season, the current financial climate dictates that I simply cannot justify spending £17 + extras (beer, transport, food etc) on what is increasingly becoming a much worse product than it was a few years back. Don't get me wrong I still love the Rovers and have as much passion today as I did when I went to every game, however priorities change, mortgage, food and bills are No 1, Raith Rovers are a bit further down the list, I still go to a few games, just not as many as I'd like to, hopefully this will change in the near future, unfortunately for myself, and no doubt a few hundred more like me I feel that these times may be a long way off :(

It's a pish drab season that's over already. Just because we are in a better position than a few years ago does not take away the meh factor.

Ignoring the fact we are still in the Scottish Cup obviously. Cue 'aye but we'll just get beat by Celtic' response no doubt.

Keep your fingers crossed then and we may get drawn into a relegation battle. Then you can get all excited again.

Hey! It was 4 years! Possibly even 5 years if you count the last relegation season from the Premier League when we reached the Scottish Cup quarter finals.

1992/3 1st division champions by a country mile

1994/5 Double Winners

1995/6 6th in the Premier League (pipped to 5th by 2 goals by Hibs)

Is relegation over achieving ??

Maybe it's an age thing but all the years I've watched the Rovers most have been in the First Division. Those few years above are the exception not the norm and I've seen more seasons in the Second Division than the SPL.

The last few years have been successful for me. Re-established ourselves as a solid First Division team, better ownership and not running up huge debts, We've got the spine of a solid team and once Murray gets settled and starts to learn we could be in a position to challenge in a few seasons. Thats all good for me. Football is fickle and we could easily be in Ayr or god forbid Stirling Albion's position.

The thing is, we have been in Ayr's position in the not so distant past.

I can accept that we have led a very boring league campaign. We are nowhere near challenging for the title (to be expected) and we have thus far only defeated three teams in the league. On the face of it, that isn't great.

We thankfully don't look likely to be dragged in to a relegation battle, but won't get near a promotion battle either. As safe and inoffensive as it is in performance terms, midtable usually is pretty boring.

We are however scoring goals, so it's not all bad.

1992/3 1st division champions by a country mile

1994/5 Double Winners

1995/6 6th in the Premier League (pipped to 5th by 2 goals by Hibs)

Is relegation over achieving ??

If it's from the Premier League, yes. Any season Rovers are in the Premier League is over achieving.

1993/4 - First, and most enjoyable stint in the Premier League as it was a new experience, with some great games after a ropey start.

1996/7 - Honking season, but we were in the Premier League and made the Scottish Cup QFs

The thing is, we have been in Ayr's position in the not so distant past.

I can accept that we have led a very boring league campaign. We are nowhere near challenging for the title (to be expected) and we have thus far only defeated three teams in the league. On the face of it, that isn't great.

We thankfully don't look likely to be dragged in to a relegation battle, but won't get near a promotion battle either. As safe and inoffensive as it is in performance terms, midtable usually is pretty boring.

We are however scoring goals, so it's not all bad.

It's the Rovers we're talking about! We could quite easily manage to turn this season into a relegation fight. As you note, we've only beaten Hamilton, Airdrie and Falkirk.

It's the Rovers we're talking about! We could quite easily manage to turn this season into a relegation fight. As you note, we've only beaten Hamilton, Airdrie and Falkirk.

If we lose Brian Graham in January maybe, otherwise we are too strong up front to be relegation candidates.

A few years back I was going to 30+ games every season, the current financial climate dictates that I simply cannot justify spending £17 + extras (beer, transport, food etc) on what is increasingly becoming a much worse product than it was a few years back. Don't get me wrong I still love the Rovers and have as much passion today as I did when I went to every game, however priorities change, mortgage, food and bills are No 1, Raith Rovers are a bit further down the list, I still go to a few games, just not as many as I'd like to, hopefully this will change in the near future, unfortunately for myself, and no doubt a few hundred more like me I feel that these times may be a long way off :(

This sums up my current situation too. I bought a season book on the early bird offer to quell my guilt sensation as I go to about 5 games a season.

Far too many other things to spend my cash and spare time on at the minute. Saturday afternoon is very much "family time". At current cost versus entertainment then I'm afraid the Rovers is miles down the list of things we could do together. Until the wee ones are bigger and say "Dad, I want to go to the football" then this won't be changing anytime soon!

otherwise we are too strong up front to be relegation candidates.

Aye, but we're weak at the back. Pretty much evens things out if you ask me. Just hope we're not dragged into the relegation battle, because it could so easily happen. We all thought Dumbarton were done for, but they're coming back big time. Airdrie papped the Pars with relative ease, anyway you know what i mean. No time for complacency.

Same with me jimmy, I'm over in east lothian now and work till 12 every Saturday, i just want to get home after i finish, there's the petrol costs as well, then the 17 quid to get in etc etc. when I do come back over to Kirkcaldy i go and watch the flyers usually.

we are too strong up front to be relegation candidates.

Aye, but we're weak at the back. Pretty much evens things out if you ask me.

50 goals scored in 28 games, 47 conceded. 28 scored in 19 league games, 26 conceded. Teams don't go down with positive goal difference, or scoring at such a healthy rate.

Nor with Brian Graham, who has 20 goals in 25 appearances this season. Or 30 goals in his last 34 appearances for us overall. He's been sent off in two of those too. :lol:

If the goals dry up we're in trouble, but equally if we keep it tighter at the back we'll finish third or fourth.