The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well, no, mostly because Pat Clarke is actually a footballer whereas Sam Parkin is an immobile battering ram.

I would actually keep Clarke, he's done a job for us this year, playing in various positions: Withdrawn forward, right wing and once as a central midfielder. He's an intelligent footballer and yeah, he hasn't had the best luck in front of goal this year but still worth a punt next year.

Having said that, at our level, having an immobile battering ram would be useful.

Edited by renton

A post on wearethistle says Brian Graham will be confirmed today as our first signing.

I've always thought this harsh on Doolan and Craig as they played their part in the title win, but Graham certainly can't be begrudged his shot at the SPL.

He'll score more than Baird, I reckon, even if his hold up and link up play isn't as good as Baird's was. Graham is a much more refined finisher and whilst I have doubts over some of the rest of his game a level up, I really hope he nets a respectable return. It's been a joy having a natural goalscorer again in our line-up, and he'll be very much missed.

Would happily swap Coult for Clarke any day of the week. Hope that Cowden consider him as a signing target.

Well, yeah, Coult is diabolical, and an absolute cock to boot. But he's still managed two less goals than Clarke in significantly less game time, in a significantly poorer team. Coult also managed six league goals to Clarke's five, again in much less game time.

So yeah, to sum up, Pat Clarke scores less goals than a shite Cowdenbeath player. I'm also certain we'll keep him but it's beyond me why. I know he works hard and he's been a body in other areas of the team but if that's a reason for keeping him we may as well sign endurance runners every summer.

Mind you, Sam Parkin is hardly inspiring either... at least we'd have a genuine target for our hopeless punts.

Well, yeah, Coult is diabolical, and an absolute cock to boot. But he's still managed two less goals than Clarke in significantly less game time, in a significantly poorer team. Coult also managed six league goals to Clarke's five, again in much less game time.

So yeah, to sum up, Pat Clarke scores less goals than a shite Cowdenbeath player. I'm also certain we'll keep him but it's beyond me why.

The "flamingo" may very well be a knobend; but, as you say, he scored two less goals than Clarke but did so on a part-time contract mostly from the bench.

He is a hungry East Coast lad that Raith [iMO] should be looking to sign up as opposed to Fizzy Pop league journeymen like Pat Clarke who has done hee-haw since he he scored three goals @ Clyde about a thousand years ago.

Mr. Clarke is on F/T terms and is constantly injured.

Coult is on P/T terms and has scored two less goals than a F/T journeyman.

Go figure.

Edited by Slavoj Žižek

Pat Clarke is an enigma, a player who has gone up in Raith fans opinion during 2 separate spells, by not being picked, or being injured.

The "flamingo" may very well be a knobend; but, as you say, he scored two less goals than Clarke but did so on a part-time contract mostly from the bench.

He is a hungry East Coast lad that Raith [iMO] should be looking to sign up as opposed to Fizzy Pop league journeymen like Pat Clarke who has done hee-haw since he he scored three goals @ Clyde about a thousand years ago.

Mr. Clarke is on F/T terms and is constantly injured.

Coult is on P/T terms and has scored two less goals than a F/T journeyman.

Go figure.

Two new CMs required, then. It was an area we again didn't get quite right, so I'm not despondent.

I wonder what effect the recent news re reconstruction may bring. Could we see cost-cutting clubs scramble to re-sign players they released?

Shame about Ian MacLeod. My only knowledge of him came through watching my dad's old highlight videos, but clearly he'll be very well remembered by those a few years older than me for his part in our early 90s glory period. Always sad to see a man die young.

Also means we are needing a left back - ex toffee may not be far off the mark after all

No it doesn't: Reece Donaldson played the full 90 minutes in the last two games there, has played a number of games before that on the other side as well. He's already under contract: we might need some cover, but if he re-signs then I'd have no problems going with Thomson and Donaldson.

Edited by renton

I'm astonished that Murray has looked at that squad and decided that only 3 players haven't been good enough this season.

He can't really have offered Dougie Hill a new contract?

Its maybe a case of better the devil you know. If he had a mass clear out and the players he brought in didnt work or take too long to settle in he will be under pressure. With the players he has offered contracts to he must be confident he can get more out of them. Tho curious to see if that means Mensing and Cardle have both been offered terms as well

No it doesn't: Reece Donaldson played the full 90 minutes in the last two games there, has played a number of games before that on the other side as well. He's already under contract: we might need some cover, but if he re-signs then I'd have no problems going with Thomson and Donaldson.

Reece has not progressed since he signed his 3 year contract when he was 17, he is too slow which was highlighted in the recent game with Falkirk and I would be astonished if we dont sign anotherfirst choice left back before the start of the season. I would love to be proved wrong but I dont think I will.