The New Raith Rovers Thread

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-defender-savours-second-coming-after-fearing-career-was-over-1-4036998

By the sounds of it Barr expects to be off in the summer. Not unexpected at all given that we already have Bates, Bene and Toshney signed up for next season and I would imagine Davo will follow suit.

Shame that we haven't been able to see the best of him but if he's fit for the rest of the season he really could end up being valuable.

I wonder what our rate is for losing players to Edinburgh clubs. Keep in mind, recent youth players with first team games include Laidlaw, Callachan, Vaughan, Matthews and Bates. If Mackie goes,I can remember only one or two God who we sold to them. Also, we didn't hear anything about them after. £75k would be brilliant.

£75k would be great but I can't see it. Like Renton said, it's great to have a youth team producing players now but it always seems to be the Edinburgh clubs hoovering our younger prospects up before they've even hit our first team.

I was saying this. It's great producing them but if we're only get a small nominal fee like £10k for them are we really benefiting?

£75k would be great but I can't see it. Like Renton said, it's great to have a youth team producing players now but it always seems to be the Edinburgh clubs hoovering our younger prospects up before they've even hit our first team.

If it is £75k that might well be the potential total of the fee after milestone add-ons and the like.

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-defender-savours-second-coming-after-fearing-career-was-over-1-4036998

By the sounds of it Barr expects to be off in the summer. Not unexpected at all given that we already have Bates, Bene and Toshney signed up for next season and I would imagine Davo will follow suit.

Shame that we haven't been able to see the best of him but if he's fit for the rest of the season he really could end up being valuable.

With Bates, Toshney and Bene signed up for next season, that leaves room for one more between Davo and Barr. They will be competing for that final contract IMO. At the minute, Davo leads the race but I reckon Barr's the better defender and could pip Davo to the contract, but he can't slip up at all between now and the end of the season..

I wouldn't mind keeping both for next season and possibly using either Davo or Barr in the centre of the park though..

With Bates, Toshney and Bene signed up for next season, that leaves room for one more between Davo and Barr. They will be competing for that final contract IMO. At the minute, Davo leads the race but I reckon Barr's the better defender and could pip Davo to the contract, but he can't slip up at all between now and the end of the season..

I wouldn't mind keeping both for next season and possibly using either Davo or Barr in the centre of the park though..

Barr has had too many injuries. Imagine he breaks down again in pre-season?

Davidson is a good utility player and we've needed that versatility this season due to injuries and suspensions. He's also less injury prone.

If it's a choice then I'd keep Davidson.

Barr has had too many injuries. Imagine he breaks down again in pre-season?

Davidson is a good utility player and we've needed that versatility this season due to injuries and suspensions. He's also less injury prone.

If it's a choice then I'd keep Davidson.

We haven't really needed Davo's versatility. I think he's only played about 180-270 minutes at CM, he's played CB the rest of the season, although he's not a CB..

Barr for me.

We haven't really needed Davo's versatility. I think he's only played about 180-270 minutes at CM, he's played CB the rest of the season, although he's not a CB..

Barr for me.

I wonder what Barr's cost per game has been? I imagine it's fairly expensive.

Barr is overhyped in terms of ability. I don't see anything to get too excited about.

Edited by Scary Bear

I wonder what Barr's cost per game has been? I imagine it's fairly expensive.

Barr is overhyped in terms of ability. I don't see anything to get too excited about.

Whenever a player is missing and not in the team he automatically becomes a world class star. Speaking to some fans Vaughan would have been up for European Golden Shoe this year if he'd been fit.

At the end of the day Barr is a defender who can play midfielder and Davo is a midfielder who can pay in defence. I suppose it comes down to where McKinnon feels he'll need the most cover and if Barr feels like he's going to be 4th choice defender behind Bene, Toshney and Bates then the decision may well be taken out of the clubs hands.

Remember Barr played as a defensive midfielder for Airdrie rather than at centre-half, and from all accounts was excellent. I appreciate that's the division below, but he's probably as useful as Davidson in terms of where he can play.

However, if you can only pick him between February and May, then there really isn't much point in giving him a new deal.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. The summer could well see the likes of McCord and Robertson be moved on, and McKinnon might want Davidson or Barr as the bit of steel in the middle of the park. Not inconceivable he would want to keep both.

As a preference of who I'd rather keep, it's definitely Davidson. Barr simply cannot be relied upon and it would be very harsh to bin Davo given he has been pretty consistent for us this year.

When Davidson signed he mentioned there was a clause on getting a second year if he made a certain amount of appearances. He's played for the most part this season, mostly down to our rotten luck in defence, so he's almost certainly going to sign on again for a testimonial.

Edited by Paco

Barr is a good defender who has sadly been injured too much during his spell with us. Two pieces of bad luck, perhaps, but it is a cause for concern. McKinnon didn't give Barr the contract, so who knows how that will pan out with McKinnon's ideas. It's sad, but his prospects of a new deal probably rest on Bene or Toshney having some misfortune so he can get his chance to impress.

Don't see why it should be a toss up between Davidson and Barr. Barr is a good defender for this level who can play in midfield, whilst Davidson is a poor midfielder who can play at CB; he should be released if we harbour any degree of ambition.

Edit: if we really do get £75k for Mackie, that's not bad at all. As has been said, we don't have the academy so we can be used for Hearts and Hibs to source players, but I doubt we can turn that down - it's a lot of money to us.

Edited by Michael W

When Davidson signed he mentioned there was a clause on getting a second year if he made a certain amount of appearances. He's played for the most part this season, mostly down to our rotten luck in defence, so he's almost certainly going to sign on again for a testimonial.

Wouldn't surprise me. Given his struggle to find a club in the summer then I'd imagine that's likely.