The New Raith Rovers Thread

On PR/social media, just to point out that while I agree it is sadly lacking, Rovers match day playlist has been on Spotify since about August 2016. See randompenfriend on Spotify if you wish to check it out. Dunfermline, since Rovers were compared to it, is still not up and running and Hearts only got theirs going last week. But I agree, we could and should be doing a whole lot more.

12 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Agree about the Hearts thing. If they pump us in the cup, it'll stick in the craw a bit that our manager is gladhanding Jambos after the game

Not just the manager will be appluading the Hearts fans.  Locke is at best an okay coach.  The quicker you get rid the better.

I think the club are doing a great job with the PR of "we are just in a bit of a bad run" and "need to stick together". I see they have even tweeted about Locke's interview and used his quote...can't ever recall them doing this before or certainly not this season but may be wrong.

Anyway this is not a little bad run of a few games this has been a run going back to the start of September in which in 15 league matches we have won 3. Also in time we have been punted out the Challenge Cup by Forfar, a team 2 leagues below us. We've been only the 2nd team to lose a league match to St Mirren out of 20 and scored only 3 goals in 8 matches or if you go back to the start of October only 8 in 12. So this nonsense coming from the club that it's a slight dip in form needs to stop and they all need to wake up to the realisation that unless something changes we will be involved in a relegation fight.

The sad thing is this was all highly predictable when Locke was appointed. As other's have said it was a mix of "give him time" and "we're doomed" but generally once the dust had settled fans seemed to rally around and were prepared to give Locke a chance. Sadly it's simply not working. Yesterday was as bad as I've felt at a Rovers match in a few years and I mentioned in the match thread that it was reminiscent of the hammering at home to Livi. Lets be honest, we're fortunate to be where we are and to have picked up draws in recent matches. The Pars dominated us at East End and Ayr likewise at Starks and we were lucky to escape with a point. I wasn't there by going by the reports Dumbarton deserved to beat us a few weeks ago and if Hibs strikers could finish then we'd have been a few down in the 1st half on Christmas Eve. 

For a number of different reasons I'll be missing a number of matches over the next 6 weeks and I woke up this morning kind of relieved at it. I'm not at the flag getting thrown on the pitch stage yet, as someone managed to do after the 4th goal yesterday, but it's just getting more and more difficult to find positives just now. 

I was one that was prepared yto give the manager a chance when he was appointed, but on the previous two results I afraid we appear to be going back towards the Anelka period.  I don't blame the manager he is what he is and has a history that backs that up.  The people who should be taking a very close look at themselves are the Board some of whom were at the helm when we took on Mr Anelka and their choices since then possibly apart from John McGlynn have been short of disaterous maybe some of them should have a long hard look at themselves and ask the question "Am I really suited for this" the answer gentlemen is no stand down and give someone else a chance.

Yes the run we're on just now is awful, but rather than spit the dummy and chew on my words like last season I done with Ray Mac. I'll hold back until mid-Feb (please start winning!). At times in the first half yesterday we played some really good stuff but my word some of it was horrendous. Cat has been brilliant for us but he was at fault for 3 out of the 4 goals yesterday IMO - bad day at the office that cost us greatly in the end. I went home 5mins after the 4th goal. What I didn't get yesterday was that we've got 2 pretty good wingers in Barr and Johnston and we were narrow as f*ck the majority of the first half. Was really frustrating at times!
I might be mental but I am thinking of making the trip to Morton on Saturday.

I wasn't convinced when Locke was first mentioned but was prepared to give him time.  I even thought I might be wrong about him after the first few games of the season as he seemed to have a tactic in place that worked.  We were hitting teams on the counter with McManus, Vaughan, Barr, Callaghan and McHattie or Thomson all bombing forward.  It worked, we looked dangerous going forward and we were scoring goals and winning games.

Unfortunately the more time he's had to spend with the players, and the more of his own guys he's been able to bring in the worse we've got.  I'm starting to think that the way we started the season was either a complete fluke or it had more to do with the players than it did Locke.

It's even more annoying that he seems to have been given a fairly healthy budget and has completely wasted it on his mates, "forward minded" players and midfielders who never make an appearance.  Who cares that we absolutely no cover in defence so any injuries or suspensions sees Davo having to cover as a makeshift defender when he'd better used sitting in the middle of the pitch given that Callaghan and Thompson can't win a ball in midfield currently.

I'd like to think the board were smart and put money aside to be able to get rid of Locke if needed.  But given they seemed to buy into him completely because he talked a good game at the interview then probably not.

Must've been pretty galling for the board, who have backed Locke to the hilt and given him support I don't remember any other manager getting, to hear him moaning on the radio he just doesn't have the players.

By my count he's put 24 different players on the park this season, and he's signed 15 of them (16 signings all in, including Crawford).

Taking a chance on Locke I can almost understand given the clubs he was at were not in the greatest place.  The Rovers job was a chance to prove he can manage at a club with some stability.  The big mistake was giving him a 2 year deal.  The board have left themselves in a position where unless Lockes leaves, which won't happen, we are stuck with him for the remainder of this season and some of next at least.

Locke has been a successful coach but he's not cutting it in management at full time level and hopefully if our form and results continue the board won't let all the good that was done last season completely unravel.  There is some good options out there, whether we can get them or they are interested is a different matter.  Would like to see any of these 4 given an opportunity:

1 - John Hughes -  Would be excellent for us but wage demands and budget size might make it a non starter.

2 - Garry Bollan  -  Has done a great job with Livi, Airdrie and now Forfar and at 43 will be looking for his chance at full time football, similar situation to McKinnon.

3  -  Stephen Aitken  -  Young manager and another that will be looking to move up and has done a good job on very little budget at Dumbarton.

4  -  Darren Young  -  Would bring a bit of risk considering how early he is into his career but would show some ambition and with an experienced Assistant manager along side him it might work out well.

Just a thought but I don't think we will make any real progression under Locke.  Bringing in guys like Skacel etc is just wasting what little budget we have.  It's fresh ideas we need and someone that will give the young guys a chance!

21 hours ago, steakngravy said:

I was one that was prepared yto give the manager a chance when he was appointed, but on the previous two results I afraid we appear to be going back towards the Anelka period.  I don't blame the manager he is what he is and has a history that backs that up.  The people who should be taking a very close look at themselves are the Board some of whom were at the helm when we took on Mr Anelka and their choices since then possibly apart from John McGlynn have been short of disaterous maybe some of them should have a long hard look at themselves and ask the question "Am I really suited for this" the answer gentlemen is no stand down and give someone else a chance.

I'm not sure the Board's choices have been that disastrous. To me disastrous is getting us relegated or worse. 

McGlynn got us promotion and back going the right direction. McKinnon was superb for a season before getting a better offer and we did get compensation. Murray was just a bit dull but didn't get us relegated or anything and to be fair won us a cup. Levein was always a temporary appointment. Dalziel was probably the worst of the bunch. So we've arguably had middling/decent managers recently. 

At the moment the jury is out on Locke. If he takes this squad down to League One then he can be classed as disastrous but only in that eventuality. 

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It is exceptionally unusual for a manager to be given a one year contract, if indeed it ever happens. Can't really blame the board for giving Locke 2 years, to be fair. 

Given our financial situation where we can't afford to be paying people off and Gary's previous record a 1 year rolling contract would have been better business for the club. 

10 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Given our financial situation where we can't afford to be paying people off and Gary's previous record a 1 year rolling contract would have been better business for the club. 

I don't disagree, but such an arrangement would be highly unusual and would also deter managers from joining us. 

I think we also lose the right to complain about our finances when we have such a large playing squad, even if our manager thinks it isn't big enough. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't disagree, but such an arrangement would be highly unusual and would also deter managers from joining us. 

I think we also lose the right to complain about our finances when we have such a large playing squad, even if our manager thinks it isn't big enough. 

Agree with you in regards to squad size.  Lockes hasn't just made a mess of the size but other than Hardie signed the wrong types of players.

3 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Agree with you in regards to squad size.  Lockes hasn't just made a mess of the size but other than Hardie signed the wrong types of players.

Not even sure Hardie is the right type of player, for all the effort he puts in he's just not the type of player to make his chances and it's not like our midfield are supplying any for him just now.

1 minute ago, mr mince said:

Not even sure Hardie is the right type of player, for all the effort he puts in he's just not the type of player to make his chances and it's not like our midfield are supplying any for him just now.

Suppose time will tell on Hardie.  With the right service this lad can score at this level.

Just now, Rover1990 said:

Suppose time will tell on Hardie.  With the right service this lad can score at this level.

Aye, as he proved last season he can score for fun. Shame Locke's forward thinking only seems to involve wingers and terrible crossing, never thought I'd get fed up watching wingers charging around but Locke's starting to make that depressing.

1 hour ago, Rover1990 said:

3  -  Stephen Aitken  -  Young manager and another that will be looking to move up and has done a good job on very little budget at Dumbarton.

Your board interviewed him in the summer and appointed Locke instead. "Very little budget" is also a stretch, it'll be less than Rovers have certainly, but he's been backed very well by our board for 2 seasons now.  That said, if he keeps us up this year I'm not sure there is much else he can achieve with us so moving to a team like Raith or Queens is probably the logical step for him.

Craig Barr has completed 90mins for the first time since the playoffs - very good news. 

So why the hell wasn't he in the squad on Saturday when we fielded an incomplete bench with no defenders on it? 

Edited by Michael W