The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Where exactly in my post does it suggest that I want anything other than a leisurely stroll to the title for the Honest Men?

However we don’t have to act like fucking twats to the opposition do we?

Don't need to kiss their arse either.

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Don't need to kiss their arse either.

You seem like a bit of a p***k!!

12 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Where exactly in my post does it suggest that I want anything other than a leisurely stroll to the title for the Honest Men?

However we don’t have to act like fucking twats to the opposition do we?

You seem like a decent sort of football supporter. The kind of person I could enjoy a post match pint with no matter the score. We need more like you in football.

1 hour ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

I realise you lads are second favourites at the moment and there has been a general feeling of ill content at Starks this season but both our sides have had quite remarkable seasons that ordinarily would result in either being promoted quite comfortably.

I know you were 8 points clear at one stage but I’m still astonished that we’ve won 7 and drawn 1 of our last eight but yet still only find ourselves 3 points clear. Despite your perceived difficulties, you deserve enormous credit for still being very much in the hunt.

I’ve a feeling that next Sat might prove crucial and I’ve no idea how those fixtures will pan out, suffice to say, I hope that we’ll be playing each other 4 times in the league next season with whoever loses out on the title managing to come up through the play offs. It’d be a sickener for either to lose out.

If your auntie had a pair of Dennis Laws and all that - but if we were still in the days of two up two down and no playoffs, both Rovers and Ayr would have been celebrating promotion yesterday with four games to spare. 

8 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

If your auntie had a pair of Dennis Laws and all that - but if we were still in the days of two up two down and no playoffs, both Rovers and Ayr would have been celebrating promotion yesterday with four games to spare. 

and you would be playing Brechin instead of alloa,  finish 4th in the league hit some form in the playoffs and hey ho ! playoffs are shite in that respect !

I realise you lads are second favourites at the moment and there has been a general feeling of ill content at Starks this season but both our sides have had quite remarkable seasons that ordinarily would result in either being promoted quite comfortably.

I know you were 8 points clear at one stage but I’m still astonished that we’ve won 7 and drawn 1 of our last eight but yet still only find ourselves 3 points clear. Despite your perceived difficulties, you deserve enormous credit for still being very much in the hunt.

I’ve a feeling that next Sat might prove crucial and I’ve no idea how those fixtures will pan out, suffice to say, I hope that we’ll be playing each other 4 times in the league next season with whoever loses out on the title managing to come up through the play offs. It’d be a sickener for either to lose out.

Unless your being weird with your troll, finally an Ayr fan who hasn't let this season go to their head! We've been rotten away from home but tremendous at grinding out results at home. The league is won now though.

Had we kept Vaughan in an advanced role I don't think we'd be second right now, but we did and it is what it is. Shankland has been tremendous for you guys which seems to have been the difference.

Unless your being weird with your troll, finally an Ayr fan who hasn't let this season go to their head! We've been rotten away from home but tremendous at grinding out results at home. The league is won now though.

Had we kept Vaughan in an advanced role I don't think we'd be second right now, but we did and it is what it is. Shankland has been tremendous for you guys which seems to have been the difference.

I think most Ayr fans understand that both teams are quite close and had things been done differently for either team then the league might have panned out differently.

As you said had Smith kept Vaughan up top with either Spence or Buchanan then he might’ve had the same effect as Shankland. Likewise if we had a decent goalie from day one we’d most likely have won by now.

No sensible Ayr fan is letting the league go to their head imo but we don’t have to be having serious discussions and pandering to opposing fans. We’re allowed to laugh at Raith when they lose and they’re more than welcome to laugh when we lose.

The Vaughan effect is a bit over stated.  We won 6 from 7 to go top over the end of last year/start of this with Vaughan playing in midfield that entire time.

We turned to shit as soon as we went top. A solid defence started conceding daft goals aided by ridiculous goalkeeping. We had it easily in our own hands to be top ourselves at this point and from the points we have dropped I don't see Vaughan playing up front as having made a massive amount of difference. Vaughan is one of the best strikers in the league but also worth remembering he has never had a consistent season yet.  I would have much preferred him to play upfront, but I don't think that has been our main problem.

If you set up to shit fest your way to points and can't keep them out then that's the problem, and that's why we dropped the costly points vs Albion, Arbroath and Forfar. I love Benedictus but he was thrown into the team far too soon. A perfectly capable back line containing young Mackay was unsettled at the worst time and we haven't looked strong at the back since. Our defence was our strong point and we had largely coped find without Benedictus and had find ourselves five points clear before he kicked a ball again.

There's a mental frailty within the squad. The fact we have won 14/16 home games and aren't top shows how different we are away from home. That and the fact we cant put a consistent run together when there is the expectation of being top is why we are where we are.

Sounds ridiculous but whilst we obviously want to keep the title battle going as long as possible, if it went down to the last day and we lost out that would be incredibly hard for the players to get themselves up for the playoffs. Was all too evident last season that despite winning on the final day, the players were absolutely gutted to lose out so late and we didn't approach the playoffs with any kind of confidence.

Edited by CALDERON

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

The Vaughan effect is a bit over stated.  We won 6 from 7 to go top over the end of last year/start of this with Vaughan playing in midfield that entire time.

We turned to shit as soon as we went top. A solid defence started conceding daft goals aided by ridiculous goalkeeping. We had it easily in our own hands to be top ourselves at this point and from the points we have dropped I don't see Vaughan playing up front as having made a massive amount of difference.  If you set up to shit fest your way to points and can't keep them out then that's the problem, and that's why we dropped the costly points vs Albion, Arbroath and Forfar.

There's a mental frailty within the squad. The fact we have won 14/16 home games and aren't top shows how different we are away from home. That and the fact we cant put a consistent run together when there is the expectation of being top is why we are where we are.

Sounds ridiculous but whilst we obviously want to keep the title battle going as long as possible, if it went down to the last day and we lost out that would be incredibly hard for the players to get themselves up for the playoffs. Was all too evident last season that despite winning on the final day, the players were absolutely gutted to lose out so late and we didn't approach the playoffs with any kind of confidence.

Very good post. Defensively, we've had real issues since Bene and Lennox came back. I genuinely thought we'd be able to push forward with those two back, but it's been the opposite. A solid defence then started chucking poor goals away with silly errors. Even on Tuesday and Saturday we gave the opposition too many clear chances through our own errors. More recently we've also failed to really perform by getting the ball on the deck. Robertson being in the midfield has a huge influence on how we do. But we've also clearly under utilised Regan Henry who wasn't given game time until last month in any meaningful amount. 

It's a bit of a ridiculous situation. It's frustrating we're not in a position where it's in our own hands, as we were in complete control at a very good stage. We've had a ridiculous season with injuries, but at the same time I'm sure most teams would feel the same. Overall it's been a pretty grim season. If we get promoted, then wholesale changes need to be made within the team. Too many players won't cut it at Championship level. 

Lennox has had eleven games back in goal now, thirteen conceded with three clean sheets. In Smith’s last eleven matches, we conceded fifteen, with two clean sheets. Nothing really to see there.

What is truly infuriating is that Barry Smith played Scott Robertson in defence for long spells, with David McKay sitting on the bench. When McKay finally got a shot our form came back. And then he repeated the trick with Hendry/Vaughan, long after teams figured us out with Vaughan at CM.

If any of those things had changed sooner I suspect we’d be in a stronger position. But they didn’t and I’m sure Ayr could point out a few similar things too. If it’s the play-offs, which it almost certainly will be, we’ll need to play a lot better than we have in our last two.

Agree that the Hendry/Vaughan and McKay/Robertson issues have been the two biggest failures of Smith’s tenure, though he’s not the first Rovers manager to favour experience over youth. I can only presume that when Hendry first arrived Smith didn’t deem him fit enough to play and it took him that long to get to the required standard as his quality is evident.

If we're speaking about clusterfucks, then my number one would have to be making a loss on a game against Brora where Aaron Lennox then got injured as we played a full strength first team. We then were forced to sign Graeme Smith, with Lennox injured for months, only to be rewarded with another loss making game against Ross County u20s at Starks. Signing Smith then apparently stopped us from bringing in Gazhalov as defensive cover from Dundee, who apparently had agreed terms to join. 

31 minutes ago, Oor Willis said:

Signing Smith then apparently stopped us from bringing in Gazhalov as defensive cover from Dundee, who apparently had agreed terms to join. 

My understanding was the Gazhalov deal went down the tubes as it came to light McHattie and Cuthbert were needing operations that we had to fork out for....which in the long term has proven to have been pointless seen as Cuthbert has since retired and McHattie has been generally a waste of a wage. Not getting away from the fact that playing a strong team against Brora was probably a silly idea in hindsight but realistically no one was to know Lennox would get injured in that game. Just one of those freak scenarios that we normally find ourselves in season after season.