The New Raith Rovers Thread

I still don't understand how people can still be jumping to all these conclusions about the style of play that Smith is supposed to be playing this season considering the players missing and the games we've played.

The injuries are a pain. The only conclusion that I can think of is the players have gone too hard too soon with pre-season and hadn't kept themselves in the best condition during their summer break. The intensity has possibly created niggles that are better to be addressed now rather than worsening and then causing problems further down the line. I'm hoping that's the case but we surly can't expect that the training isn't safe for the players and Smith and Cuthbert are putting them at risk? Is Cuthbert not meant to be trained in personal training and all that?

Very true Frank. Barry doesn't seem like the guy who is going to get us up unfortunately. He doesn't appear to have managed his budget well, his training is causing injurys (on the face of it) and his style of football, while it can be effective doesn't appear like it will work with the players at our disposal.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Which part, other than the first sentence, is something people won’t agree with?

But you just know someone will be busting to post, and bang on cue....

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

I still don't understand how people can still be jumping to all these conclusions about the style of play that Smith is supposed to be playing this season considering the players missing and the games we've played.

The injuries are a pain. The only conclusion that I can think of is the players have gone too hard too soon with pre-season and hadn't kept themselves in the best condition during their summer break. The intensity has possibly created niggles that are better to be addressed now rather than worsening and then causing problems further down the line. I'm hoping that's the case but we surly can't expect that the training isn't safe for the players and Smith and Cuthbert are putting them at risk? Is Cuthbert not meant to be trained in personal training and all that?

Was gonna bite to that but...

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Smith is known to play a certain way not just last season with us but at other clubs. It's no really jumping to a conclusion when he has previous for it.

A whack of this.

1 hour ago, Frank conner said:

It's just as worrying as the players seemingly ignoring the managers instructions something which has followed on from last season. 

a smidge of this.

6 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Very true Frank. Barry doesn't seem like the guy who is going to get us up unfortunately. He doesn't appear to have managed his budget well, his training is causing injurys (on the face of it) and his style of football, while it can be effective doesn't appear like it will work with the players at our disposal.

Fcuking great lumps of that.

Lets face it if Smith has got something clever in his locker as a coach we are yet to glimpse it, because other that backs to the wall effort at dens after the points penalty so have fans at every other club he has been at.

I'd be more than pleased if he had it in him to prove everyone wrong but there is absolutely no signs that he's remotely capable of doing so.

42 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I sat behind the dugout at the cowden game no player gave a shit what Smith was saying and Davo more or less told him to f**k off.

I sat behind the dugout at the cowden game no player gave a shit what Smith was saying and Davo more or less told him to f**k off.
Says it all.

Our biggest problem in recent years Imo anyway is that all the good work mcglynn done has been undone by previous boards.

The youth system mcglynn set up has brought through the likes of Vaughan, callachan, Matthews, bates and even the likes of Sean mackie who was sold to hibs at a young age. That was scrapped to go with the Fife elite academy or whatever its called.

Add onto that poor managerial appointments other than mckinnon since mcglynn and we find ourselves back at the start.

Its a place our club can't afford to be if we want to have a future. The proof will be in the pudding with what sim and his board do but he's trying to get us financially stable and while some won't agree with the way he's doing it (plastic pitch) at least he does have the clubs best interests at heart.

Keeping Smith has been a massive mistake on the face of things but we did miss out on winning the league by the finest of margins last season so its easy to see why he has been afforded more time. His coat is definitely on a shoogly peg with what sim has said publicly though, questioning the style of play at the end of last season and before the leagues even kicked off he's questioned the reasons we are getting so many injuries.

Im still in the Smith out camp although I did renew my season ticket despite saying I wouldn't if he was kept on. I support the club not the man and unless he can pull a rabbit out of the hat I expect/ hope he will be gone very early on this season.

The only thing for me is I have no idea who would replace Smith. It's not a reason to stick with him if things aren't working but there's no real obvious make to replace him. 

I remember being delighted we got Hughes..... 

You're starting to get me thinking about Smith's training regime, when he was with us we ending up limping our way to the season's end from a pretty strong play-off position because of a hideous run of injuries and a stupidly small squad size, there was some games when we only had TWO outfield subs on the bench, there could be something in what you say!!![emoji848]

On 7/30/2018 at 17:19, WSDR 88 said:

As for other teams, I’m pretty certain Jim Duffy was on a rolling contract basis with Morton until he left.

No, our board ludicrously gave him a year's extension to 2019  off the back of his only win in ten games at the start of the season (a 4-1 raping of Saint Mirren mind you) which had to be ripped up in shreds at the end of this season. Despite the bleating and whining about how hard done to he was, the club effortlessly secured an upgrade in McKinnon who snapped up the supposedly unacceptable slight of a one year rolling contract. It's almost as if happy-clappers who claim that full-time clubs can't attract decent managers in the current job market are absolute fucking morons. Indeed you could appoint Duffy tomorrow and he'd be an obvious upgrade on Smith who is a proven charlatan by now. 

Anyway, the last ten pages or so has made for magnificent reading.  To think that it wasn't too long ago wen Raith fans would desperately argue with anyone who'd listen that the League Cup was a major trophy; now it is - in your own words - 'a meaningless diddy trophy that we're actually glad to get horsed out of in July by finishing below a Highland League team and (even more embarrassingly) Cowdenbeath'.  And to think that it was just five seasons ago that the Raith supporters were gathering for a good rubberneck at the car crash unfolding at Cappielow; yet how those fortunes have been so easily reversed as predicted by yours truly at that time.  

Sumptuous. 

1501793020105.jpg.7749d02d09f76f712761abcc0a166b9b.jpg

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

No, our board ludicrously gave him a year's extension to 2019  off the back of his only win in ten games at the start of the season (a 4-1 raping of Saint Mirren mind you) which had to be ripped up in shreds at the end of this season. Despite the bleating and whining about how hard done to he was, the club effortlessly secured an upgrade in McKinnon who snapped up the supposedly unacceptable slight of a one year rolling contract. It's almost as if happy-clappers who claim that full-time clubs can't attract decent managers in the current job market are absolute fucking morons. Indeed you could appoint Duffy tomorrow and he'd be an obvious upgrade on Smith who is a proven charlatan by now. 

Anyway, the last ten pages or so has made for magnificent reading.  To think that it wasn't too long ago wen Raith fans would desperately argue with anyone who'd listen that the League Cup was a major trophy; now it is - in your own words - 'a meaningless diddy trophy that we're actually glad to get horsed out of in July by finishing below a Highland League team and (even more embarrassingly) Cowdenbeath'.  And to think that it was just five seasons ago that the Raith supporters were gathering for a good rubberneck at the car crash unfolding at Cappielow; yet how those fortunes have been so easily reversed as predicted by yours truly at that time.  

Sumptuous. 

The best thing is Morton will never win anything it doesn't matter how bad our stadium is it will never be as bad as yours. By the way what are you famous for again ?

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

Sumptuous. 

lbV96L4.gif